PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's the minimum server installation?

ichi2
August 23rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
I'd like to create the smallest-possible installation of Ubuntu 10.04 Server x64 as a VirtualBox OSE VM. I want to run just one service -- a Bitcoin client.

The standard installation is about 800 MB. By whatever approach, what's the smallest possible installation?

I find various procedures for removing unnecessary packages. However, I suspect that there's a simpler approach that I'm missing. By simpler, BTW, I don't mean compiling it myself. That's far above my current comfort level.

Thank you.

arrrghhh
August 23rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
There's the net installer, but honestly you may want to go with Debian... IMHO it's much easier to start with a clean install and go bare-bones with that over Ubuntu Server...

Bachstelze
August 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
debootstrap with --variant=minbase

Vegan
August 23rd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Depending on what components are needed. Ubuntu can make do with 128 MB of memory but more is preferred.

Disk cost is higher as updates need a lot of space to install etc. So a 8 GB disk is about as small as you want to go.

Bachstelze
August 23rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
Depending on what components are needed. Ubuntu can make do with 128 MB of memory but more is preferred.

Disk cost is higher as updates need a lot of space to install etc. So a 8 GB disk is about as small as you want to go.

I have Ubuntu running happily on 64 MB of RAM and a 2 GB CF card. A debootstrap minbase install of Lucid amd64 will take exactly 152 MB. Add 20-some for a kernel and GRUB, and you have a lot of available space on a 2 GB card.

Vegan
August 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM
I installed Ubuntu on a USB stick and it fits 2 GB but I suggest more as applications need some space.

Bachstelze
August 23rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
I installed Ubuntu on a USB stick and it fits 2 GB but I suggest more as applications need some space.

If you had read this thread, you would know that the OP only needs it to run one service. I think with a 152 MB base system, any service would fit on 2 GB.

ichi2
August 23rd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Thank you, all.

Memory isn't the critical issue, because I can tweak that in VirtualBox after installation.

It's disk size that's my concern, because I want to distribute these VMs as preloaded Bitcoin "debit cards".

I'm already using a 1 GB virtual disk. The documentation says 400 MB, but I couldn't complete the installation with that. I was hoping for more like 200 MB ;)

@ Bachstelze

I will explore what "debootstrap with --variant=minbase" means.

@arrrghhh

Yes, perhaps Debian. I've tried ttylinux, and it's missing a package that's not available for it, and the idea of creating packages is totally intimidating at this point.

Bachstelze
August 24th, 2010, 12:03 AM
@ Bachstelze

I will explore what "debootstrap with --variant=minbase" means.

Basically, mount your to-be root partition somewhere (since you're running that on VirtualBox, just boot a Live CD and mount the partition), and do

sudo debootstrap --variant=minbase lucid /mnt/root http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

Be warned, though, you'll have a bit of manual configuration to do (basically, everything the installer normally does for you, you will have to do it manually). And you will also need to install a kernel and boot loader.

ichi2
August 24th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Thank you, Bachstelze.

My current attempt has 50 MB boot, 20 MB swap and 930 MB root. What could I cut root to with "minbase"?

Bachstelze
August 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Thank you, Bachstelze.

My current attempt has 50 MB boot, 20 MB swap and 930 MB root. What could I cut root to with "minbase"?

As I said above, the base installation for Lucid 64 bit takes 152 MB. I don't know about Bitcoin, though, so I can't tell you really how much additional space that would take.