View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I do it?

August 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
I am new at this, and that will be very evident.
I am a windows user from way back, and have heard about Ubuntu just recently. I am not considered a computer genius, but I can do quite a few things with them.
I presently have a Dell Laptop running XP. It has a 30 gig HD and 1 gig RAM. It is getting slower and slower. Originally I was going to re-format the HD and reinstall the op system, but from what I was reading, this may be the time for me to go to Ubuntu, and therein lies the quandary. Are there any FAQ's that can walk me through the entire process of removing Windows, downloading and installing Ubuntu, and getting the machine up and running? Any direction and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

August 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
It's basicly just moving important data to an external drive, downloading the Ubuntu ISO, burn it and reboot with the CD in the drive. The installations really easy and in almost all cases, all hardware works out of the box. You can, by the way, test it out by booting a live system from the CD if you choose it from the boot menu.

August 23rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
I take it you want to do a full install (no dual booting) and everything is backed up. Then boot from the ubuntu cd / flash drive and follow the prompts. It is a lot less complicated then you think. When you get to the hard drive partitioning just pick the option saying use the whole drive. The rest quite self explanatory. Let me know if there is something else.

August 23rd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Here is a little page from the Ubuntu website that will link you to pages that show you how to install it and where to download it.

I hope it helps.