PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to find iso image after download

salima
August 23rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
after creating the dvd i vaguely remember seeing the iso file listed twice...i deleted one. now i cant find the iso image anywhere and i want to make a usb stick from it. when i bring up brasero it still shows two items for that file with the same name but if i click on either of them i get the same error that the file is gone.

the file is not in the trash.

is it really gone?

LowSky
August 23rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Is anything ever really gone?
try this command from a terminal

find / -name *.iso

salima
August 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM

find / -name *.iso

i am pretty sure of the original name of the file, so this is what i typed:
Find / -10.04-desktop-i386*.iso
and got 'command not found'
then i retyped without the capital 'F' and got 'unknown predicate'

i typed this beginning from the $ prompt, is that correct?

sorry, i am very new at this. i need 'instructions for dummies'...

L Campbell
August 24th, 2010, 05:37 PM
after creating the dvd i vaguely remember seeing the iso file listed twice...i deleted one. now i cant find the iso image anywhere and i want to make a usb stick from it. when i bring up brasero it still shows two items for that file with the same name but if i click on either of them i get the same error that the file is gone.

the file is not in the trash.

is it really gone?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here but did you look in 'Download'?

I wasted some time once, looking for something I had downloaded until I happened to look in Download.

silverglade00
August 24th, 2010, 06:17 PM
You need to type that command exactly without changing anything. Copy and paste it into the Terminal.

anaconda
August 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM
i am pretty sure of the original name of the file, so this is what i typed:
Find / -10.04-desktop-i386*.iso
and got 'command not found'
then i retyped without the capital 'F' and got 'unknown predicate'

i typed this beginning from the $ prompt, is that correct?

sorry, i am very new at this. i need 'instructions for dummies'...

You entered a wrong command. it should have been something like:
find / -name 10.04-desktop-i386.iso

so no star if you know the filename

salima
August 25th, 2010, 11:25 AM
thanks for the answers everyone-
actually i did look in download, the download helper file, and the brasero files but no luck.

if i enter either of those commands above now i am getting 'permission denied' and various gibberish.

should i be doing this from root?

ks07
August 25th, 2010, 11:37 AM
You can run the find command as root so that the command can search in folders where you don't normally have read access. However, I highly doubt you would have downloaded the .iso to one of these system folders. :p No harm in trying though!

sudo find / -name *.iso

fancypiper
August 25th, 2010, 11:43 AM
There is also the locate command which can find a file anywhere on the computer:

locate *.iso

AFAIK, all bash commands are in lower case unless they are aliased to a command with capital letters.

salima
August 26th, 2010, 12:44 AM
thanks anyway, but i think it is really gone. none of this works for me.

i will have to go about it another way.

fancypiper
August 26th, 2010, 01:07 AM
You could try making an ISO with your DVD. If you boot the live DVD, I think one of the programs is one to make a bootable usb stick.

Or, you can generate an ISO from a CD/DVD:
cd /path/to/isostorage
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=foo.iso
dd if=/dev/hdd of=foo.iso

LiquidMeson
August 26th, 2010, 01:17 AM
or alt+f2 brasero

salima
August 26th, 2010, 05:41 AM
that was the idea if i could find the iso image, to create a usb stick...

the actual problem is i cant mount the dvd-i was hoping for a faster fix. i started a new thread on that issue.

also i cant do any upgrades through the internet because i have a superslow connection. i had to mmdownload the iso file by leaving the computer run all night (power cuts during the day in india) and pausing the download each night...took me four nights. that is why i am trying to find it. i wouldnt have intentionally deleted it until i knew the upgrade was in place and the cd was ok. i guess i did it unconsciously...

Quote LiquidMeson
"or alt+f2 brasero"

not sure ii understand. you mean open brasero and do alt+f2 to locate the image in brasero? because the image is listed there but when i click on it it says it doesnt exist.

i think it is really gone and probably i should close the thread if anyone can explain to me how to do that...? do i contact a mod? consider it solved?

Col.Krumpet
August 26th, 2010, 05:54 AM
thanks for the answers everyone-
actually i did look in download, the download helper file, and the brasero files but no luck.

if i enter either of those commands above now i am getting 'permission denied' and various gibberish.

should i be doing this from root?

Yes. This is just me but I tend to make it common practice to sign in as root every time I enter the Terminal. This may be a bad practice but it ensures that if something comes up that I need root access to take care of I'm already set :D

wojox
August 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Yes. This is just me but I tend to make it common practice to sign in as root every time I enter the Terminal. This may be a bad practice but it ensures that if I something comes up that I need root access to take care of I'm already set :D

If you need root access just use sudo.

salima
August 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM
You could try making an ISO with your DVD. If you boot the live DVD, I think one of the programs is one to make a bootable usb stick.

Or, you can generate an ISO from a CD/DVD:
cd /path/to/isostorage
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=foo.iso
dd if=/dev/hdd of=foo.iso

thanks-
i was able to make an iso image from the cd and create a pen usb boot stick but it also didnt work, so now i have to go back to trying to solve either of those two issues.

i am marking this thread solved, and the new thread for the cd is called Live CD Won't Mount........if that isnt solved reasonably soon i will start a new thread on the usb issue...

johnlvs2run
July 27th, 2012, 07:12 AM

find / -name *.iso

Thanks very much. You helped me to find the iso files in /tmp.

I'm having some trouble moving them though.

mv /tmp/Fedora-17-i686-Live-LXDE.iso /home/john/Desktop

I got it! Thanks very much.

coffeecat
July 27th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Old thread closed.