PDA

View Full Version : Question about VirtualBox, XP and legality

bobnutfield
August 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hello Everyone,

I dumped Windows a looong time ago on most of my machines, but I did keep on old laptop with it installed just for iTunes for my iPod Touch. I figured that now that Rhythmbox supports the iPod Touch now I could get rid of that one as well. Well as it turns out, Rhythmbox will play the mp3's on my iPod, but I cannot seem to move any onto it. So, it was back to iTunes, but now the laptop it was on is out of action (bad power supply.)

So, I installed VirtualBox OSE in Ubuntu. I did not have a copy of XP available, so I used the restore disk from my wife's netbook to install Windows XP in VirtualBox. This was mainly to see how it would work until I can get a legal copy. I know it is not legal to continue to use this copy of XP and it is getting continual pop-ups to register it within 30 days. Once I am confident that it will work with no issues, I will delete this virtual machine and get a legal copy.

My question, silly as it is since I WILL NOT continue to use an illegal install of Windows, what happens after the 30 days if I just ignored the pop-ups to register? Does it disable itself or is there just a pop-up about it being an illegal copy?

This is a question just out of curiosity if anyone knows.

gdonwallace
August 23rd, 2010, 06:35 PM
For the most part it is just an annoyance. I had a similar experience and found that it just does a pop up every so often to "remind" you that you may be using an illegal copy of XP.

It seems odd though that the install that you are using from a recovery disk is asking for that. Generally recovery disks provide a legal copy of XP or any OS for that matter. Although you are not installing it on the same machine as it was originally installed on, the OS and MS don't know that.

You should be able to register the product with no problems.

bobnutfield
August 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
You should be able to register the product with no problems.

Thanks for your reply. However, my wife is still using the Samsung netbook with the original copy installed. If I were to try to register it, it would be already registered.

There was a time that I would have ignored the legality and just used it. I suppose since discovering open source ten years ago, I now have a conscience. Over the years I have been able to convert many people to the wonderful world of Linux (usually by demonstrating the all the Windows woes that they could kiss goodbye.) It just wouldn't be right now to use their product illegally.

CharlesA
August 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
It'll stop functioning and make you activate it after the 30 days are up.

bobnutfield
August 23rd, 2010, 06:50 PM
It'll stop functioning and make you activate it after the 30 days are up.

That is what I was wondering. Will it just fail to boot or what? Many years ago, I had a copy from someone else's computer installed and after the 30 days were up, the pop-up changed to "You may be using pirated software", but it continued to work as normal.

LowSky
August 23rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
you already own a legal copy of XP, your laptop, so just take the license number off the bottom that.

Windows XP wasn't exactly a "smart" OS it isn't hardware dependent and you are allowed to register the same copy like 5 times.

bobnutfield
August 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
you already own a legal copy of XP, your laptop, so just take the license number off the bottom that.

Windows XP wasn't exactly a "smart" OS it isn't hardware dependent and you are allowed to register the same copy like 5 times.

Wow, if that is true, then I may be home free. I will not be using the broken laptop again and the product key is on the bottom sticker. I will check into that.

Thanks for that.

Bachstelze
August 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM

Wrong. When you have a computer with Windows pre-installed, the license is "tied" to this particular computer, and you may not use it to install Windows on another one.

bobnutfield
August 23rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Wrong. When you have a computer with Windows pre-installed, the license is "tied" to this particular computer, and you may not use it to install Windows on another one.

OK, back to the original plan.

MasterNetra
August 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM

+1

Also at the end of the 30 days, it will let you boot, but the only thing it will let you do in the OS is activate it. Also it is againest the eula if i remember correctly, you can't have the same copy of the OS running on more then one computer unless you paid for additional installations (the enterprise package or whatever, meant for businesses.)

You may as well just buy another copy, but at the prices I've seen them on amazon, probably best to just get windows 7 if you have the resources to VM it. (1GB of ram minimal or at least recommended minimal I got it to work with 768mb, not able to use aero though, and 512mb is probably pushing it.)

bobnutfield
August 23rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
Well, I will get another copy. But, if I had ever forgotten why I use Linux, now I remember.

MasterNetra
August 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Well, I will get another copy. But, if I had ever forgotten why I use Linux, now I remember.

How much ram do you have?

I ask cause if you have more then 1.5GB of ram, you would be better off getting Windows 7 its more well behaved and well...

Amazon - Windows 7 Offering
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DHGMK0/ref=sr_1_2_olp?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1282590088&sr=1-2&condition=new

Amazon - Windows XP - SP2 offerings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00022PTRU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1282590072&sr=1-1&condition=used

You would think XP's price would of gone down, but apparently not.

Of course you could always risk ebay in either case for a lower price.

forrestcupp
August 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM

Bachstelze is right. An OEM version is tied to the machine. You can reinstall it on the same machine and activate it 3 times before you have to call in. If you bought the retail version, I forget the number of times, but you can activate the same key on a couple of different computers, as long as it is only on one computer at a time. If your laptop came with XP on it, you're out of luck.

But LowSky is actually right. You can install an OEM version on a different computer and it will work. You could use what you have already installed in VirtualBox and activate it with the code on your old laptop and it will work. But that would be illegal, and that's what you're trying to stay away from.

pricetech
August 23rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
What about the computer you have Ubuntu, and the VM, on ?? Was it originally licensed for XP ?? If so, you're good as long as you have the media. Just use the number that's on the COA on that machine.

Otherwise you will have to purchase a license, but I agree that if you have the hardware to support it, you should go with Windows 7, at least Professional. Surprisingly solid for a gold release.

endotherm
August 23rd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Bachstelze is right. An OEM version is tied to the machine. You can reinstall it on the same machine and activate it 3 times before you have to call in.

that is almost it. you can activate as many times as you like as long as your hardware hash does not change. you get up to 3 hash changes.
more details here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457054.aspx
a networkcard install requires a reauthorization, whereas a motherboard model change requires you to buy a new license.
you may be right that the limitations are not enforced, but that was the plan, at least.
Additionally, OEM install disks for most of the large OEMs will only work with a motherboard that identifies itself correctly for that OEM, though there are tools to change what manufacturer your bios appears to be made by.

user1397
August 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
Well here's my story since it may interest you. I decided to reinstall windows xp on my mom's desktop because it had become really slow and bloated, and hadn't been reinstalled for years. So I downloaded an OEM version of xp sp2, and installed it, and when it asked me for the product key I gave it the one on the side of the case and it instantly worked. I used this same disc to install xp through virtualbox on my desktop, and when it asked me for the product key I gave it my old windows xp product key from my old desktop that i didn't even have anymore (i had saved the key on a piece of paper just in case). I was able to activate it online instantly...

so yea hope that helps

dmizer
August 24th, 2010, 01:36 AM
How much ram do you have?

I ask cause if you have more then 1.5GB of ram, you would be better off getting Windows 7 its more well behaved and well...

Amazon - Windows 7 Offering
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DHGMK0/ref=sr_1_2_olp?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1282590088&sr=1-2&condition=new

Amazon - Windows XP - SP2 offerings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00022PTRU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1282590072&sr=1-1&condition=used

You would think XP's price would of gone down, but apparently not.

Of course you could always risk ebay in either case for a lower price.
I agree that you'd be better off with Win 7. I use it in a Virtual machine for Samba testing. If you do go the Win 7 route, make sure you get a version that has a license which allows virtualization (home premium, professional, ultimate, or enterprise).

kmsalex
August 24th, 2010, 01:36 AM
you know, i know that alot...well almost all of you will disagree with me, and i may well catch heat from a admin for saying this but.... ITS MICROSOFT!!! they are one of the largest most profitable companies in the world! AND THERE EVIL !!! ok well maby evil is an overstatement but, they defiantly don't have the biggest heart of any companies, or the best business practices. I mean for god sake look at what happed to Netscape! now you notice bill gates is on a world wide attempt to give as much money to as many charities as he can, now i'm not putting him down for that by any means. its a great thing he's doing that! and more Milty-billionaires should do that after they retire, but does anyone else get the feel he might be just a bit worried about getting into heaven. so what i'm getting at is, your never going to get cagut for doing it, and by no means are you going to be putting Microsoft out of business for doing it, and even if you did good! now do i rip games, no, do i rip linux software (on the rare occasion it coasts something) no, would i rip software from almost any another company in the world no. but man, its windows xp, written and coded by Microsoft.

Just my opinion on this in-particularity subject. :-\"

CharlesA
August 24th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Right. Use it illegally cuz it's Microsoft. Uh huh.

I use OEM copies of Windows, since I build most of the machines myself. Saves me a bit of money, but the license is non-transferable.

MidBSD
August 24th, 2010, 08:13 AM
But LowSky is actually right. You can install an OEM version on a different computer and it will work.

It will work but against the terms of your EULA.

julio_cortez
August 24th, 2010, 08:23 AM
For the most part it is just an annoyance. I had a similar experience and found that it just does a pop up every so often to "remind" you that you may be using an illegal copy of XP.
If it's the activation that is missing, if I din't remember bad it won't let you go past the login screen when the 30 days are over..
I may be wrong though, it's years that I don't see a copy of XP which hasn't been activated yet after the 30 days of "trial"..

MidBSD
August 24th, 2010, 08:24 AM

There are also restrictions against virtualising your OEM copy - you can't!

You can buy a separate license to virtualise but make sure it's Business or Ultimate or again, you're breaking the EULA.

Paqman
August 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Actually it is hardware dependent:

At each login, Windows XP checks to see that it is running on the same or similar hardware that it was activated on. If it detects that the hardware is "substantially different", reactivation is required. (Sauce) (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457054.aspx)

It allows you to make fairly extensive hardware changes, but if you change the whole system (or often something like a mobo with multiple devices on it) then XP will freak out and force you to reactivate.

This is why VLKs are awesome.

julio_cortez
August 24th, 2010, 08:37 AM
you know, i know that alot...well almost all of you will disagree with me, and i may well catch heat from a admin for saying this but.... ITS MICROSOFT!!
It's not like Microsoft employees won't help you if they can.
I had an issue with a customer's PC 3 years ago more or less: after changing HD, motherboard and video card upon failure (induced by a storm, probably a lightning) suddenly the freshly installed XP refused to activate itself no-matter-what. Either online or via phone.
I had to answer to some questions then talk to a support guy and ask him to activate it manually, explaining what the situation was.
He asked me for the serial, for some other code which was on the OEM product key label, then gave me the right code to activate the OS.

Microsoft isn't always evil. Of course someone who doesn't know what to do would either buy another copy of XP or maybe pirate one, but they WILL help you if they can. They're PAID to do so.

frodon
August 24th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Thread closed.

Adult Content/Violence/Illegal Activity: Messages containing sexually oriented/violent/illegal dialogue, images, content, or links to these things will be deleted. Messages with links to or suggesting illegal activity will also be deleted. Posting or linking to any of these could result in a ban.