PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Reinstall? Ouch

Oven Glove
August 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
Not too long ago I installed Ubuntu Studio 9 point something (the release prior to 10.04) in dual boot with xp. And since, the ubuntu boot has become corrupt and never runs smoothly if at all, and often just jams itself in a recursive cycle of 'disk checks' that never advance beyond 3%, etc.

Consequently, I would like to reinstall with the latest desktop edition (10.04) and simply overwrite the corrupted one. But firstly, since I'm somewhat of a linux newbie, I'm quite apprehensive to do so and would like some verification that what I'm about to do is ok, a quick set of instructions on how to do it safely and possibly an alternate method of renewing my dodgy ubuntu partition.

Any help or kind words would be amazing.

Thanks,
Owen.

mrgs
August 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM
You could begin with a live boot of 10.04 to verify that it works well on your hardware.

Oven Glove
August 25th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Well yes everything seems fine there, despite a few minor instabilities that probably just need an upgrade.

mrgs
August 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Good. Then you delete the old Ubuntu partitions and install from the CD. Remember to have wired internet access when you install.

Oven Glove
August 25th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Ok then, thanks for your help. Purely out of interest, how will the grub bootloader behave when the ubuntu partition(s) isn't present?

uRock
August 25th, 2010, 03:22 PM
When you reinstall Ubuntu, you are also reinstalling grub, so the old grub will not be there to interfere.

Oven Glove
August 25th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Alright, thanks everyone.