PDA

View Full Version : Another Linux Poll? Well.... not quite...

TNT1
August 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
So I seen these threads "how old are you, what do you use ubuntu for", "how many of you completely converted to ubuntu", and so on...

I see a lot of "students" post here, so I figure, we should actually be asking: "how much money do you make, and what do you use ubuntu (or anything - seems every second poster is using something else as their primary OS)?"

I mean when I was a "student" I sure couldn't afford a pc/laptop/whatever...

What gives?

Oh, sure, it's a very politically incorrect idea, but George Carlin is my idol, so, I'm not asking in a "whoever has the most toys wins" kind of way, I'm just "curious george"...

But then, how do you measure my ZAR against your NZ$? Dunno... Maybe the linux geeks can come up with some program that will give us a cost of living/location/currency/age/OS matrix that lets us do that.

I was actually just wondering how many succesfull people use some form of linux. Then I figure the question is, how do you define success, and the whole thing lands in the crapper...

Oh well...):P

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 23rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
41, dual boot, Windows for games, Windows at work(the company I work for chooses the software as is their right), Linux for everything else.

TNT1
August 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
41, dual boot, Windows for games, Windows at work(the company I work for chooses the software as is their right), Linux for everything else.

And this bit: "how much money do you make, and what do you use ubuntu?"
?

See... I made a dodgy poll... Well, without the "poll" bit...

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 23rd, 2010, 04:51 PM
And this bit: "how much money do you make, and what do you use ubuntu?"
?

See... I made a dodgy poll... Well, without the "poll" bit...
I use Ubuntu, and to find out my salary you have to buy me dinner first ;)

matthewbpt
August 23rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
I am an unemployed ex Physics student about to start a Computer Science degree. I'm hoping I'll be able to use linux in my career and not just for personal use as I do now (and be successful doing it). I would define success as a measure of ones happiness as well as ones salary. As long as you can live happily and comfortably then you are successful, even if your salary doesn't fall into the category that some people would see as successful.

Edit: When were you a student? Laptops are now cheap enough for the average university student to be able to afford, especially in the netbook range, but that certainly wasn't the case in the past.

lukeiamyourfather
August 23rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
How much money someone makes doesn't have anything to do with Ubuntu. :lolflag:

mendhak
August 23rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
how much money do you make,

I don't think a lot of us are allowed to share that info (it's probably in your contract).

and what do you use ubuntu (or anything - seems every second poster is using something else as their primary OS

I have 6 machines. 4 run Ubuntu and 4 run Windows. You could probably create a venn diagram to see how many run both.

pricetech
August 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Windows when I have to, Ubuntu otherwise.

I'm older than dirt and I work in IT.

I don't make as much money as many people think I do.

Does that cover it or did I forget something ??

mosshorn
August 23rd, 2010, 06:12 PM
I'm 20, work part time at a bookstore (don't make much) and use Ubuntu for everything I possibly can. I only use Windows when I have a program I need to run for one of my classes (IT major) or when one of those choice few games decides not to go through wine.

jfreak_
August 23rd, 2010, 06:42 PM
21, use ubuntu as my only OS , tech student. Can't live without a laptop in my university anyway, so no choice. Get just enough to cover my daily expenses as a stipend.

quinnten83
August 23rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
I use Ubuntu, and to find out my salary you have to buy me dinner first ;)

Is it going to be a sound investment or is you requesting dinner first an indication of your income?

:)

oldos2er
August 23rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
So I seen these threads "how old are you, what do you use ubuntu for", "how many of you completely converted to ubuntu", and so on...

I have to chuckle at the "what do you use Ubuntu for" question. I use it as my computer's operating system. I tried to use it to clean the dirt from under my fingernails, but it didn't work very well. :)

neoargon
August 23rd, 2010, 09:32 PM
20, Student . Ubuntu for everything I need . Windows is installed because my brother needs it

pricetech
August 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
I use it as my computer's operating system. I tried to use it to clean the dirt from under my fingernails, but it didn't work very well.

I hear it makes a great dessert topping, though I've never tried it myself.

oldos2er
August 24th, 2010, 02:44 AM
And floor polish....

dFlyer
August 24th, 2010, 02:52 AM
59 y/o, using linux since 1995. Ubuntu since 2006 as my only OS. Currently Retired.