PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem Installing from 10.04.1 USB

ping-wu
August 23rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Installation from 10.04.1 USB stalled at step 3 (after selecting the default keyboard).

No problem under exact conditions when installed from 10.04 USB.

Machine: HP DV6, Intel core 2 duo, 4 GB DDR2.

The iso image was md5sum-verified. No problem installing the same image in VirtualBox v.3.2.8.

Created a new USB stick. Same problem.

lechien73
August 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Could you give a little bit more information, please? How was the USB stick created? Is this an upgrade? Is it a dual-boot install?

Other threads have suggested that the stage 3 freeze could be due to the hard disk geometry, so could you please post the output of

sudo fdisk -l

ping-wu
August 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
Could you give a little bit more information, please? How was the USB stick created? Is this an upgrade? Is it a dual-boot install?

Other threads have suggested that the stage 3 freeze could be due to the hard disk geometry, so could you please post the output of

sudo fdisk -l

1. The USB stick was created with "Startup Disk Creator" from a fully updated 10.04 on a different machine.

2. This is not an upgrade, but a fresh installation.

3. It is a dual-boot install (sda3) along with 9.10 (on sda1).

4. I don't have access to that particular machine on which this problem occurred right now, but could you give me the links to those threads which discussed the stage 3 freeze?

5. Additional info: I was able to subsequently install from an old 10.04 USB on that same partition without any problem. Again, for some reason the 10.04.1 gave me the stage 3 freeze.

lechien73
August 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM
This was the thread I was looking at, of course it was referring to 10.04 - not 10.04.1, but I would have presumed the installer would be the same.

http://uri.tl/13

ping-wu
August 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
This was the thread I was looking at, of course it was referring to 10.04 - not 10.04.1, but I would have presumed the installer would be the same.

http://uri.tl/13

I seem to have found the culprit of this problem--I was using the USB stick (Kingston DataTraveler 4GB) as purchased.

After I reformatted the USB stick, this problem went away. I was able to proceed with the installation, w/o the stage 3 freeze.

bluetomgold
September 16th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I'm having the exact same problem. 10.04.1 install on Medion Akoya E1210 (MSI Wind) hangs at step 3 having set keyboard. I'd already tried a fresh format before coming across this thread.

Have now also tried formatting from within Universal USB Installer (with which I put the ISO on the USB pendrive) and alternative persistence settings. No joy.

Unless anyone has any better ideas I'm gonna try booting from a DVD (from an external drive) tomorrow.

bluetomgold
October 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
No issues installing from DVD.