PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dell inspiron 1545 wireless

spd1989
August 23rd, 2010, 06:40 AM
I know this has been posted a few different times but I still can't seem to figure out how to get wifi working on my dell inspiron 1545. It has a dell wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card b/g/n. The proprietary drivers that come with ubuntu 10.04 do not work. I don't understand how to compile, and change things in terminal or anything like that because I am pretty new to ubuntu. My question is, is there a driver that anyone knows of that I can download and then start ubuntu up and just install it? the kind that I wouldn't need to edit in terminal or change any codes? or am I hoping for to much. Thank you for any help.

p.s. I have googled every combination of dell inspiron, drivers, and wifi...and I just can't find a simple explanation.

JBAlaska
August 23rd, 2010, 06:48 AM
Put the LiveCD in your drive and go to: System, Administration, Software sources and check the box below "Installable from CDROM". Then open a terminal and do:

sudo apt-get update

Then:

sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

Now reboot and select the Broadcom STA driver. in System, Administration, Hardware Drivers.

Edit:

p.s. I have googled every combination of dell inspiron, drivers, and wifi...and I just can't find a simple explanation.

You just need to add "Ubuntu 10.04" to your search string.

earthpigg
August 23rd, 2010, 06:52 AM
hi,

Dell wifi cards are rebranded Broadcom cards.

Thread on the subject: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1390979

look at post 53

Nescitur
May 3rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
Put the LiveCD in your drive and go to: System, Administration, Software sources and check the box below "Installable from CDROM". Then open a terminal and do:

sudo apt-get update

Then:

sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

Now reboot and select the Broadcom STA driver. in System, Administration, Hardware Drivers.

Edit:

You just need to add "Ubuntu 10.04" to your search string.

Wow, I just want to say thank you so much because I have been unable to connect to my wireless internet for about a month and a half now. I tried everything I could find on the internet. Today I figured I'd try once more because I knew I'd really need the ability to use wireless this summer in the library. I found your post, and put sudo apt-get update into my terminal. It downloaded something, and suddenly I had the ability to "Enable Wireless". I didn't do any of the other stuff you suggested. Somehow, that update code was all I needed. I had hoped that by updating to 11.04 my wireless problem would go away, but I guess I needed this additional update.
Thank you! No more hassle!