PDA

View Full Version : "Universal USB Installer - Easy as 1 2 3" is even not available for LINUX for itself

patrick295767
August 23rd, 2010, 04:19 AM
It wouldnt be great that this is too made for LINUX, it is only a Windows app. Cross applications exist, and are promoted today.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/*

Wouldnt you see positive to have that program for linux os too?

Austin25
August 23rd, 2010, 04:21 AM
It's not the same installer, but you could use unetbootin.

sudo apt-get install unetbootin

patrick295767
August 23rd, 2010, 04:36 AM

sudo apt-get install unetbootin

unetbootin is an alternative yeah, but still it is far to be one as universal usb installer

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 23rd, 2010, 05:40 AM
Not sure, I mean, really someone using Windows as their primary needs a tool like this to find "the distro", once that distro is found, outside of "just for fun" most people will stick with what works. Would it be cool to have a universal installer like that, sure, why not, and all it takes is for someone to have enough incentive to write it...

nerdtron
August 23rd, 2010, 05:41 AM
It wouldnt be great that this is too made for LINUX, it is only a Windows app. Cross applications exist, and are promoted today.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/*

Wouldnt you see positive to have that program for linux os too?

Looks like the page has been deleted or moved...

C.S.Cameron
August 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM
There is already one for Linux, it is called usb-creator and can be found on the Live CD.
OK, so it only works with the 'buntus but many other distributions also have their own USB installers.

patrick295767
August 23rd, 2010, 09:19 PM
There is already one for Linux, it is called usb-creator and can be found on the Live CD.
OK, so it only works with the 'buntus but many other distributions also have their own USB installers.

it is not really much the case. If they propose an usb installer, it is very rare. Maybe slackware has one :usbboot.img ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-current/usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img

try to find one for gentoo for instance, that really works, or other well know distro: difficult, since it is not meant to work with unetbootin :(

C.S.Cameron
August 23rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
I believe Puppy, DSL, Fedora, Knoppix and Ubuntu all have one.

honeybear
August 24th, 2010, 09:41 PM
One that I have tried which is easy is slackx and slackware to install

beew
August 24th, 2010, 09:50 PM

Unetbootin is useless if you want persistence.

beew
August 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Yes, this is a good question I have been wondering about as well. If you look at the pendrive Linux site it is basically written for windows users.

Fedora has a liveusb creator which works in windows and linux, but it took me a while to figure out what to do with the Linux version as there is absolutely zero documentation. They just dump a tarball on you and that's it, while there is a whole page tutorial in pendrive linux(and other places) teaching windows users how to use the windows version,--which consists of just clicking an .exe file to install and then do point and click .

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1527260

beew
August 24th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Not sure, I mean, really someone using Windows as their primary needs a tool like this to find "the distro", once that distro is found, outside of "just for fun" most people will stick with what works. Would it be cool to have a universal installer like that, sure, why not, and all it takes is for someone to have enough incentive to write it...I don't buy that. You are saying that a Linux user should be locked in to a single distro. Besides, why shouldn't Linux users have the software that enable them to play with other distros even if it is "just for fun" while it is available to windows users? If it is somehow frivolous for a Linux user to experiment with a different distro the same should also applies to the windows user who installs Wubi or a Linux distro in an ancient PC to try it out . Why isn't that also "just for fun"?