PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubuntu going to get sued?

Austin25
August 23rd, 2010, 04:15 AM
I was Stumbling along, when I found this (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/oracle-suit-overwhelms-ubuntu-launch/7185). Is it going to be a problem? Discuss.

chips24
August 23rd, 2010, 04:24 AM
I was Stumbling along, when I found this (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/oracle-suit-overwhelms-ubuntu-launch/7185). Is it going to be a problem? Discuss.

ubuntu is a community developed operating system. I am confident that it is not possible to stop the development of ubuntu.

Austin25
August 23rd, 2010, 04:36 AM
ubuntu is a community developed operating system. I am confident that it is not possible to stop the development of ubuntu.
Well, it is backed for the most part by Canonical, and they could get sued. Even if they don't, and they go forward with this, it could become illegal to distribute in the United States. I live in the United States! ](*,)

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 23rd, 2010, 04:42 AM
Well, it is backed for the most part by Canonical, and they could get sued. Even if they don't, and they go forward with this, it could become illegal to distribute in the United States. I live in the United States! ](*,)
I am not sure how one can sue over "finger gestures", apple does not own the human finger, I'm pretty sure "god", "mother nature", or whatever one attributes to human existence holds the patent, and whoever, whatever that source is, does not seem to concerned about software patents. I find all these "multi-touch" patent lawsuits to be asinine and sickening; mind you, I am not an FOSS evangelist, but on this point, it is absolutely ridiculous for someone to claim ownership of my natural hand gestures and mechanical abilities.
That's about all I got to say about that, hope Steve Jobs posts a reply from his iphone :lolflag:

Edit:
Um... not sure where I'm seeing Oracle is suing Canonical, the headline is misleading, looks like its just saying the Oracle suit is grabbing the limelight... OP Did you read the articles?

Austin25
August 23rd, 2010, 04:47 AM
Yeah, I guess. If they do get sued, all of us Ubuntu users can march to Washington DC, and end this once and for all.

uRock
August 23rd, 2010, 04:53 AM
The article does say that the Canonical has written their own code, so if they can prove it, then they aren't liable. IMHO

CharlesA
August 23rd, 2010, 04:54 AM
Or, like, switch to a different OS. Debian, CentOS, Fedora, etc.

Austin25
August 23rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Ubuntu is my favorite! Besides, that can't be the solution to everyone who lives in the United States or Japan.

uRock
August 23rd, 2010, 04:59 AM
Lol, Arch or Windows.

dmizer
August 23rd, 2010, 05:01 AM
The article does say that the Canonical has written their own code, so if they can prove it, then they aren't liable. IMHO

This isn't about software, it's about a patent on a user interface technique.

Zorgoth
August 23rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
Canonical could be sued in the US, but it is based in the UK where software patents are rightly illegal. Anyway, lots of people are making multitouch devices now, and Ubuntu is not a smartphone OS. I do not think Apple would have a real chance of winning a lawsuit like this.

I would Apple probably doesn't really want to simultaneously get bad PR by attacking an open source project *and* put Ubuntu on the front page. They like being seen by so many as the only alternative to Microsoft methinks.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 23rd, 2010, 05:06 AM
If they do get sued, all of us Ubuntu users can march to Washington DC, and end this once and for all.

...or not. :roll:

uRock
August 23rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
This isn't about software, it's about a patent on a user interface technique.
That's just wrong, though. Imagine Ford deciding to sue every car company for using the road in the same technique, spinning tires. Maybe if they hire the right attorney to word the analogy right, then they can use my babble to make the judge laugh at Apple, as they should.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 23rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
That's just wrong, though. Imagine Ford deciding to sue every car company for using the road in the same technique, spinning tires. Maybe if they hire the right attorney to word the analogy right, then they can use my babble to make the judge laugh at Apple, as they should.That would make sense if ford invented the automobile...

Nick_Jinn
August 23rd, 2010, 05:09 AM
Copyrights of this nature are idiotic. If we allow this trend to continue all progress will be stifled and the rights to even think or do ANYTHING will be owned by somebody else 'who thought of it first'. Its dangerous. Its as much a threat to our liberty as a monopoly of the press.

I think that we need to hurry up and make as many basic ideas as possible the property of the GNU/GPL. That is the only way to protect the freedom to think and create before somebody owns the rights to that too. Our freedom could depend on open source ideals depending on how things unfold.

This is why I am extremly biased against the mega-corporations. Its not just a matter of preference or being a fanboy of a certain distro....I am not really. I am just concerned about how intellectual property is going to limit and stagnate progress and freedom unless we make it open source before they can claim it for themselves.

dmizer
August 23rd, 2010, 05:11 AM
That's just wrong, though. Imagine Ford deciding to sue every car company for using the road in the same technique, spinning tires. Maybe if they hire the right attorney to word the analogy right, then they can use my babble to make the judge laugh at Apple, as they should.

No, this is more like the Wright brothers suing because other plane manufactures stole their technique for controlled flight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_brothers#Patent_war

Nick_Jinn
August 23rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
I think that these gestures might lack originality....I mean, they are so obvious and intuitive that I think an argument could be made against their originality, despite it never being used for this type of interface. It must be original and not simply obvious for it to be patentable.

sxmaxchine
August 23rd, 2010, 05:19 AM
They might get sued unless the gestures are different in some way.

And i dont know if they can get sued because they made the code themselves.

Mike_IronFist
August 23rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
No, because Ubuntu is not a company. Canonical, the company that helps keep Ubuntu going, could get sued, but even then, they could just end up removing the feature. If not, or they get destroyed by a lawsuit, Mark Shuttleworth put together the Ubuntu Foundation, which is funded by close to $10 million and exists primarily to serve as an emergency company in case Canonical somehow goes down. And if THAT fails, we still have our community developers. Open Source is awesome like that.

In any event, whatever happens, we have something to fall back on.

Zorgoth
August 23rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
They might get sued unless the gestures are different in some way.

And i dont know if they can get sued because they made the code themselves.

If Canonical copied code from Apple, that would be copyright violation, which is illegal everywhere. This would be a claim by Apple that they stole a software technique they invented - patent infringement. Patents on software methods are illegal in Europe, but the United States there have been many successful software patent lawsuits.

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 23rd, 2010, 05:34 AM
Getting ready to write a check to Apple so I can legally tie my shoe laces, dang pinch gesture....:evil:

uRock
August 23rd, 2010, 05:37 AM
That would make sense if ford invented the automobile...
True, they just refined it and made it usable, like what Windows did with the PC.

Jim_in_Omaha
August 23rd, 2010, 05:47 AM
I see it as Ubuntu is getting too good for the big guys and they are starting to blink.:popcorn:

Zorgoth
August 23rd, 2010, 05:49 AM
Yeah, I guess. If they do get sued, all of us Ubuntu users can march to Washington DC, and end this once and for all.

No, let's march on the other Washington. DC is horrible this time of year while Seattle should be nice and cool. Plus, Starbucks!

Zorgoth
August 23rd, 2010, 05:52 AM
Another note: owning/downloading Ubuntu would not be illegal even if it did violate patents. It would be illegal to distribute it, so hosting it on your own server or torrenting it would be illegal.

However, if Canonical hosted Ubuntu and its updates on servers in the UK, where patents on software are illegal, it would be perfectly legal on both ends for you to download and update it in the US. This is in contrast to copyright law, where both distributors and receivers would have broken the law.

Zorgoth
August 23rd, 2010, 05:53 AM
I see it as Ubuntu is getting too good for the big guys and they are starting to blink.:popcorn:

You know, we haven't actually *gotten* sued yet :lolflag:

NightwishFan
August 23rd, 2010, 05:59 AM
We are not going to get sued. :)

uRock
August 23rd, 2010, 06:04 AM
Another note: owning/downloading Ubuntu would not be illegal even if it did violate patents. It would be illegal to distribute it, so hosting it on your own server or torrenting it would be illegal.

That is where the problem comes in. Canonical wants to install on machines from the factory and I am sure that if those machines have a touchpad, then they'll be using this new technology in the OS.

I would be broken hearted to see Ubuntu get removed from the market, I want people to have a choice when they are shopping for a new system.

dmizer
August 23rd, 2010, 06:08 AM
That is where the problem comes in. Canonical wants to install on machines from the factory and I am sure that if those machines have a touchpad, then they'll be using this new technology in the OS.

I would be broken hearted to see Ubuntu get removed from the market, I want people to have a choice when they are shopping for a new system.

Ubuntu is more than gestures. Worst case scenario, Canonical has to remove the gesture feature and proceed as they always have before.

toupeiro
August 23rd, 2010, 06:08 AM
I guess they should go after Microsoft and HP while you're at it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+TouchSmart+All-In-One+Desktop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3 B2+Duo+Processor/9555821.p?skuId=9555821&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9555821&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218124798858

This is the hardware platform I envisioned the multi-touch capable desktop ubuntu version targeting.

I hold no punches generally on how I feel about apple. I'm really starting to loathe Oracle even more..

CraigPaleo
August 23rd, 2010, 06:13 AM
You can patent almost anything that hasn't already been patented. It doesn't mean it'll hold up in court.

Microsoft stole almost an entire GUI, look, and feel from Apple yet Apple lost that lawsuit.

These gestures are the ONLY logical way to accomplish such tasks with a touchpad or touchscreen. Nothing else would make sense. I see Apple being laughed out of court on this one.

uRock
August 23rd, 2010, 06:13 AM
Ubuntu is more than gestures. Worst case scenario, Canonical has to remove the gesture feature and proceed as they always have before.

Or pick up their swords and fight Apple for their right to be better. Sooner or later Ubuntu will have to fight their way into the arena and send the other guys home crying. The sooner, the better.

earthpigg
August 23rd, 2010, 06:25 AM
You can patent almost anything that hasn't already been patented. It doesn't mean it'll hold up in court.

it does if the other side doesn't have the legal team, or cannot afford one, that is up to the challenge.

truth is a flexible thing in American courts. Whoever has the better lawyers in US Civil Court essentially gets to arbitrarily decide what the 'truth' is.

I am absolutely confident that if i had a $20m budget, you had a $20k budget, and the question of "does gravity exist?" was put to a civil court... I would win, regardless of which side of the question i took.

The reality that you & I experience does not matter or exist in American Civil Courts. At all.

which is the problem. smaller software outfits (TomTom, as opposed to Microsoft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TomTom#Patent_infringement_lawsuit)) have the $20k budget, not the $20m budget. which means, in the end, that gravity does not exist & the subject is no longer up for debate.

CraigPaleo
August 23rd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Good point Earthpigg.

Nick_Jinn
August 23rd, 2010, 07:30 AM
No, let's march on the other Washington. DC is horrible this time of year while Seattle should be nice and cool. Plus, Starbucks!

Black Block!

Getting ready to write a check to Apple so I can legally tie my shoe laces, dang pinch gesture....:evil:

lol.
Its getting to that point. Its absolutely absurd. I believe the direction of patent law is adversely affecting our social and technological evolution. Something needs to be done about it. Open Source needs to battle the proprietary restrictions and win. Its not just a matter of preference. Our freedom is on the line.

Yes, thats a good point EarthPig...however, Ubuntu might be able to dig up some allies. I bet people would be generous with their rates as far as legal defense and research. I also believe people would donate to a legal defense budget.

Primefalcon
August 23rd, 2010, 07:33 AM
Even if Ubuntu became illegal to use, I'd use it I've used a lot of Linux Distros and Ubuntu stands head and shoulders over the rest.

Fedora IMO isn't bad, but they tend to be a little too experimental for my liking, Uby nearly is but I like it pushing the limits slightly, besides if you wanna wait for something to be Uber stable stick with the LTS releases and only upgrade when the support is over and then only to the next... (I know people who have just "upgraded" to 8.04 from 6.04 sure they may not be using the newest stuff, but what they're using is rock solid

chips24
August 23rd, 2010, 07:35 AM

it would not be illegal. Restarting a new homepage without the illegal software would be completely legal, and since ubuntu is open source and developed by everyone, it would definitely keep going on without canonical. thats like saying you are going to sue whoever came up with public licensing... its an impossible idea to sue a linux distribution. i am not denying the fact that canonical could be sued however.
Perhaps you should thoroughly re-read the article, people can copy whatever the heck they want, just as long as they don not sell it (that excludes completely copying original work like code and videos).

also read this http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/shuttleworth-oracle-dooms-its-prospects-in-open-source-business/7181

my solution- just don't sell the damn thing.

Oxwivi
August 23rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
It's impossible for Canonical to be sued over this. Since this feature was created on Linux for Linux, it's impossible to port it from other developments, which is to say this is homegrown and completely native. I don't see any basis over which Canonical can be sued in this matter. Just because they look someone else's car looks the same as yours, you can't claim it for yourself, it's a completely different make.

the8thstar
August 23rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
Since software patents are illegal here, I don't see how this is a problem for us Europeans. I think Americans consumers should sue Apple for barring them the right to use their fingers the way they want.

pommie
August 23rd, 2010, 08:30 AM
OK, the coding is different, so no case there, the idea and implementation though are the same, BUT, who had the idea first, it certainly wasn't Apple, as I can remember seeing hand/finger gestures controlling computers in the Sci-Fi movies of the 60s and 70s, maybe the movie houses will sue Apple :lolflag:

Cheers David

kennedyvelez
August 23rd, 2010, 09:15 AM
Ubuntu can and should develop multi-touch as open source.

Nick_Jinn
August 23rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
Ubuntu can and should develop multi-touch as open source.

Yes. Its in our best interest.

In a worst case scenario they just need to invent different hand gestures.

Johnsie
August 23rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Canonical is not based in the USA. I can think of an appropriate finger command to give to anyone who would choose to sue. All major forces in computing get sued though, so Canonical should expect to get sued. I've always disagreed with the patenting of multitouch. Someone big like Google need to challenge it.

Madspyman
August 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
Canonical is not based in the USA. I can think of an appropriate finger command to give to anyone who would choose to sue. All major forces in computing get sued though, so Canonical should expect to get sued. I've always disagreed with the patenting of multitouch. Someone big like Google need to challenge it.

True, whether patents are bogus or not they exist, and usually companies like Apple sue over them at the first sign of reasonable competition.

Canonical has been playing with fire lately in the case of Ubuntu's recent Apple alikeness, but have been no threat to Apples business, in fact many of Ubuntu's devs, forum mods, contributers, and fans are open Apple supporters. Mark Shuttleworth has been on record saying he owns a Mac himself.

I don't think Apple's in danger of losing money to Canonical anytime soon, so I doubt there will be a lawsuit, especially not if OEM's snub Ubuntu as an option for multitouch devices in favor of the name recognition Google branded operating systems give their products.

Grenage
August 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
I see the opportunity here for a two-finger 'Easter Egg'.

lisati
August 23rd, 2010, 10:51 AM

Too far for me to swim. :D

fatality_uk
August 23rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Too far for me to swim. :D

Tut!! Kids these days, no commitment lol :)

As for Canonical being sued, it is getting seriously strained now. I am tempted to start throwing patents applications for all sorts of things and see which ones stick in 18 months or so!!!!

Oxwivi
August 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Since software patents are illegal here, I don't see how this is a problem for us Europeans. I think Americans consumers should sue Apple for barring them the right to use their fingers the way they want.
Agreed. The don't have any basis to sue Canonical.

Grenage
August 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Agreed. The don't have any basis to sue Canonical.

The American software patents cause odd charges to be filed.

d3v1150m471c
August 23rd, 2010, 12:44 PM
i'm going to sue your wagon company because it rolls just as good as mine, maybe better...I mean, your wagon is built entirely different from mine and you made it from scratch and your own ideas but it's simply not fair because I made one, too. *sobs*

fatality_uk
August 23rd, 2010, 12:52 PM

They aren't exactly illegal. There is scope to register patents, but the EU has laid down very strict markers as to what can and can't be patented.

As for being in the EU, probably makes no difference as it's more than likely Apple (et al) would bring a case in Texas as has been the case before.

grahammechanical
August 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
So, "Mark Shuttleworth has had his launch of Unbuntu 10.10 Hijacked by ...

Is it October already? I must have slept through a couple of months! Is Canonical based in Europe? I thought it was based in South Africa. The headline is about an Oracle suit but the article is about an Apple suit. When I spot inaccuracies I stop listening.

This is a journalist doing the usual stunt of trying to create news where there is none.

regards

Dragonbite
August 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM

No, probably won't be a problem.

First, Apple is just being a whiny little brat again. Considering Canonical does not make a lot of money the only thing Apple can get out of it is to try and keep the competition from the idea ("Preciousththth".. ever notice how Jobs and Golemn look similar?).

Aren't there a few Netbooks which contain gesturing trackpads already? Did Microsoft pay for the "rights" to use their idea, or did they just code it themselves?

Second, Canonical is the supporter and lead developer of Ubuntu (paid developers), if it disappears it would be a HUGE hit on Ubuntu as the people working and developing the platform 40 hours a week now have to get jobs and do Ubuntu work on the side. Whether it lives or dies depends on how many volunteers step up to the plate and take some of the load and how many jump off to other distributions.

I wouldn't worry (yet).

Oh, and I think Canonical is based in the UK.

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 23rd, 2010, 04:31 PM
i think americans consumers should sue apple for barring them the right to use their fingers the way they want.
:cool::cool::cool:

Oxwivi
August 23rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
The American software patents cause odd charges to be filed.
How does American software patents work? If Canonical did get sued over the multi-touch issue by Mac, on what basis would it be? My reasoning is the coding is completely original and does not relate to the Mac's so there's nothing to sue Canonical about. Does it work differently? I have similar opinion about Apple going after the Androids.

Grenage
August 23rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
How does American software patents work? If Canonical did get sued over the multi-touch issue by Mac, on what basis would it be? My reasoning is the coding is completely original and does not relate to the Mac's so there's nothing to sue Canonical about. Does it work differently? I have similar opinion about Apple going after the Androids.

This is the problem (well, one of) with software patents. It doesn't matter who wrote the code, or if it was written from scratch; the patent covers the concept.

chips24
August 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
I would just wait for this to work out if it was really serious, I mean, i have a strong feeling that It really is not a big deal, and that Ubuntu would always remain legal.

endotherm
August 23rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
not really. that is a great defense against copywrong infringment, but patents are abstract, and deal with your algorithm rather than the code you write to implement it. if apples multitouch patents are upheld, no one will be able to write anything even remotely like it, unless they license the patent from apple.

Sporkman
August 23rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Is Canonical based in Europe? I thought it was based in South Africa.

Canonical is based in the UK.

Simian Man
August 23rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
It doesn't matter where a company is based. If they want to do business in the U.S., they have to abide by the patent laws here or risk getting sued.

Sporkman
August 23rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Anybody remember this:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/singapore-firm-claims-patent-to-image-linking-339289375.htm

Not sure whatever happened to that though. I do recall that they successfully scared multiple businesses in Singapore into paying up...

Dragonbite
August 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
not really. that is a great defense against copywrong infringment, but patents are abstract, and deal with your algorithm rather than the code you write to implement it. if apples multitouch patents are upheld, no one will be able to write anything even remotely like it, unless they license the patent from apple.

Now does this run differently than when the mouse was first introduced and then made ubiquitous?

endotherm
August 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Now does this run differently than when the mouse was first introduced and then made ubiquitous?
interesting question. I am not sure how that worked out. my guess is that it wouldn't have if it had occurred under our current legal climate, but who knows. also if I recall Xerox had patented the mouse as part of their initial gui research, but allowed the guys from MS and Apple access to their project info. my guess is that apple got a patent grant from Xerox then.

MasterNetra
August 23rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Not likely to be sued, apple is going after HTC, which for them is a very dangerious thing, as both a number android phones AND a number of Windows Modible phones use HTC for their multi-touch function. If apple does go after Ubuntu, they will end having to go after Google, and possibly Microsoft as well.

phrostbyte
August 23rd, 2010, 08:03 PM

Microsoft stole almost an entire GUI, look, and feel from Apple yet Apple lost that lawsuit.

These gestures are the ONLY logical way to accomplish such tasks with a touchpad or touchscreen. Nothing else would make sense. I see Apple being laughed out of court on this one.

Why stop there? You patent things that have already been patented too. :) There are millions of patents, you think the inspector reads every single one and knows "hey, this patent was already filed as #43938494"!

Even if you got sued, going through millions of patents is hard. You might not even catch any prior art, even with a team of people looking for it. And unlike most lawsuits, in patent lawsuits, the burden of proof for prior art is on the defendant. That's why patent lawsuits are so damn expensive and scary, that many companies will settle even on inane patents.

Zorgoth
August 23rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
interesting question. I am not sure how that worked out. my guess is that it wouldn't have if it had occurred under our current legal climate, but who knows. also if I recall Xerox had patented the mouse as part of their initial gui research, but allowed the guys from MS and Apple access to their project info. my guess is that apple got a patent grant from Xerox then.

The original patent on the mouse ended long before it came into general use. Any attempt to sue based on a patent of the mouse after the mouse came into general use would have fail because there was prior art as early as 1958/1963.

Zorgoth
August 23rd, 2010, 08:11 PM

Is it October already? I must have slept through a couple of months! Is Canonical based in Europe? I thought it was based in South Africa. The headline is about an Oracle suit but the article is about an Apple suit. When I spot inaccuracies I stop listening.

This is a journalist doing the usual stunt of trying to create news where there is none.

regards

Canonical is based in the UK, despite being founded by a South African. Sorry.

Austin25
August 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hey, couldn't we patent filing patents?;)

Zorgoth
August 23rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Unfortunately Apple and Microsoft have filed patents in the past, so there is prior art. However, maybe if we are really quick at New Year's we will be able to patent filing patents during or after 2011!

Zlatan
August 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
... I think Americans consumers should sue Apple for barring them the right to use their fingers the way they want.

this :popcorn:

oldos2er
August 23rd, 2010, 09:27 PM
"Johnny, don't point! You know Apple has IP rights on human digit indicators."

"But mom, you said before that it wasn't polite!"

"That too."

murderslastcrow
August 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM
Lol, nice. Well, so long as you make filing patents part of a 'process' as it pertains to software, then you definitely CAN patent filing patents! I'm dead serious, here- they're patenting the elements, formulas, and actions within software. I believe very strongly that we should make a software that does such a thing and patent it just to enhance peoples' visibility of how absurd this is.

JK3mp
August 23rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
That would make sense if ford invented the automobile...
Would make more sense if they invented the wheel. Since bicycles, wagons and so on all used the same wheel turning motion. lol

Austin25
August 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Lol, nice. Well, so long as you make filing patents part of a 'process' as it pertains to software, then you definitely CAN patent filing patents! I'm dead serious, here- they're patenting the elements, formulas, and actions within software. I believe very strongly that we should make a software that does such a thing and patent it just to enhance peoples' visibility of how absurd this is.
Yeah, then don't let Apple patent anything ever again.

Nick_Jinn
August 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM

You should totally do it. Let me know if you need some help.

benerivo
August 23rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
Just point out to those who believe that Canonical is based in the UK, that it isn't. The Isle of Man is separate, which is probably why it is some companies are based there rather than in London, Paris, NY etc..

It has it's own system of law...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_law#Relationship_between_Insular_and_Parliame ntary_statutes

And the registrsation of some interesting companies occurs there...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604897
In this link i only want to point out the section that reads...
"In a statement to the BBC, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said in regards to sanctions: "The issue is a matter for the Isle of Man government.""

Dustin2128
August 23rd, 2010, 11:16 PM
I'm a slacker, but I'd march with you all the same.

phrostbyte
August 23rd, 2010, 11:29 PM

If I recall, IBM actually patented a method of filing patents awhile back.

Lightstar
August 24th, 2010, 12:25 AM
We're all going to be sued for walking straight up, copying the first man who walked straight.

dmizer
August 24th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Does anyone have a link to the actual patents?

chips24
August 24th, 2010, 12:41 AM
We're all going to be sued for walking straight up, copying the first man who walked straight.
never mind my last post, its not quite like that...

dmizer
August 24th, 2010, 12:44 AM
lets sue the man's descendants.

Let's not go too far off topic.

chips24
August 24th, 2010, 01:01 AM

regards
hmm... why did i not catch this?

wait! its not correct. all of this is is not quite right. not what you said or the other person at the beginning.

i shall go back on my old post and request that people reread the article again... something isnt right.

XubuRoxMySox
August 24th, 2010, 02:16 AM
It's not in the jurisdiction of any court on Earth, since Ubuntu is actually alien technology (see the other thread) from an extra terrestrial civilization.

-Robin

Nick_Jinn
August 24th, 2010, 02:30 AM
It doesn't matter where a company is based. If they want to do business in the U.S., they have to abide by the patent laws here or risk getting sued.

What business do they do here? Even if Ubuntu were outlawed, it wouldnt do much to stop people from using it.

Zorgoth
August 24th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I'm sure they do a large portion of their technical support in the US. This would mean less development on Ubuntu, but would not do much to harm our ability to download and update, unless the US decides to put up a patent firewall blacking Canonical's servers, as it would be neither illegal in the United States for us to download the software nor illegal in the UK for Canonical to host it. In reality the worst that could come from this patent is the multitouch features being cut out, and I doubt even that would happen. a) Canonical has *not* been sued, and b) I have serious doubts about such an obvious concept, which was in fact previously patented (2006) by, of all the innovative companies of the world, Microsoft. Of course defending yourself from a patent lawsuit by claiming you were violating someone else's patent might not be a good approach :lolflag:

However it might force System76 and any other vendors with preloaded Ubuntu not to ship Ubuntu 10.10 or to cut out the multitouch features...

Comzee
August 24th, 2010, 04:06 AM
apple does not own the human finger, I'm pretty sure "god", "mother nature", or whatever one attributes to human existence holds the patent, and whoever, whatever that source is, does not seem to concerned about software patents.

Companies can patent living organisms I wouldn't be surprised

MasterNetra
August 24th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Companies can patent living organisms I wouldn't be surprised

Actually I can see that being done with artificially created organisms. Trying to patent pre-existing ones wouldn't go over well with the general populace I would think.

Dragonbite
August 24th, 2010, 04:38 AM
You know what? I think we should take this as a sign that we are significant enough that Apple has not only noticed us, but takes us as a threat!

Woo Hoo!

Celebration Time! We're entering the BIG TIME baby!

First Red Hat (for Gnome contribution inequalities as they see it), now Apple! We're just getting bigger and bigger companies gunning for us so we MUST be doing something right!

Rock On! :guitar:

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Is this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1559598) going to go over for real at Apple, if they sue?

witeshark17
August 24th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I doubt it's any worry... :popcorn:

Dragonbite
August 24th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Is this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1559598) going to go over for real at Apple, if they sue?

Send a copy to Steve Jobs!

Too bad it's obviously a fake.

Nick_Jinn
August 24th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Actually I can see that being done with artificially created organisms. Trying to patent pre-existing ones wouldn't go over well with the general populace I would think.

I think both are harmful....for example, Monsanto makes Starlink corn or another potentially harmful or allergenic strain with terminator seed technology....they cross pollinate the organic or conventional fields then Monsanto has the audacity to sue THEM for using THEIR corn which INFECTED their crops against their will.

The idea of patenting life is absurd. Just create a strain of a crop that takes over and contaminates the other species and then you can declare ownership of the worlds food supply. Bad idea.

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I think both are harmful....for example, Monsanto makes Starlink corn or another potentially harmful or allergenic strain with terminator seed technology....they cross pollinate the organic or conventional fields then Monsanto has the audacity to sue THEM for using THEIR corn which INFECTED their crops against their will.

The idea of patenting life is absurd. Just create a strain of a crop that takes over and contaminates the other species and then you can declare ownership of the worlds food supply. Bad idea.
Patenting life is close to slavery.

ddarsow
August 24th, 2010, 05:31 AM
We can only hope so.A high profile law suit is not only indicative of the success of Ubuntu to date, but is likely what is needed to push the OS and Canonical into the spotlight and stir up even more interest.

Sometimes a lawsuit is just what a company/product needs to make it to the big time.