PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install 10.04 from cd doesnt work

2ndconfused1
August 23rd, 2010, 03:06 AM
i have a computer that i wish to install ubuntu 10.04 on, it wont install tho, it tells me that it cant detect the cd rom (the drive it is booting from) and that i should insert a removable device with the drivers on it, except i dont have those and don't know where to get them. i cant boot from a usb but i have a usb with 10.04 on it just incase. i tryed this with both alternate install and desktop. i dont know what to do, i have invested 2 days to try and do this and i would really like to put this on my computer.

P.S. i have previously installed 8.04 on my computer with out such error and all of the hardware is the same (even the hard drive), and i lost the 8.04 disk. <(it was a live disk)

Sef
August 23rd, 2010, 03:12 AM
Instead of trying to install, go down to 'Check Disk for Errors' or something similar. Run it and see if the problem is there or not.

If it is not, let us know. If it is bad, then redownload the ubuntu iso and reburn.

If you are using a torrent it will be good. If not then md5sum.

2ndconfused1
August 23rd, 2010, 03:28 AM
i did what you said and tried to run a test for errors and it froze my computer, the screen turned off and the num-lock stopped working. something similar happened on a opensuse installation(ubuntu is alot better) but how i got it to install was i booted from the cd and pluged in the usb installer usb and when opensuse searched for the installation media it found the usb and installed from there, i am wondering if there is any way to do that in ubuntu.

P.S. i have tried to install 10.04 with multiple cds: ubuntu 10.04 desktop, ubuntu 10.04 alternative, kubuntu 10.04 desktop, and kubuntu 10.04 alternative. all at write speeds of 2x and 4x. all of which have the same problem.

any ideas?

2ndconfused1
August 23rd, 2010, 03:47 AM
im going to try and burn a new copy of 8.04 and see how it goes.