PDA

View Full Version : Is upgrading from 9.10 worth it?

ktsteel
August 23rd, 2010, 02:21 AM
I am very satisfied with Karmic Koala, mostly Internet, some home banking and music used on home computer. NEVER deal with the WINDOWS garbage . My question is, is moving to new distro worth it. Been watching boards for problems in new ubuntu version. Any thoughts

CharlesA
August 23rd, 2010, 02:23 AM
If 9.10 works for you, you don't need to upgrade.

drawkcab
August 23rd, 2010, 02:28 AM
I would think about upgrading to 10.04 only because it is a LTS release that will be supported longer than 9.10. So far, it's been very stable and the upgrade process was a snap on two of my machines.

On the other hand you could just say to yourself, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Sounds like there are no bells and whistles luring you away at the moment.

Just remember to back up before you upgrade. Sure, upgrading is relatively unproblematic these days but you never know it will turn out on your particular hardware.

CharlesA
August 23rd, 2010, 02:39 AM
+1 to backups. Never know what might happen and it's better to be prepared in the event of a problem.

bug67
August 23rd, 2010, 02:47 AM
I'm still using 9.10...all be it the Linux Mint version. I tried 10.04 and found some bugs I couldn't live with. I guess I'll stay with Karmic as long as I possibly can.

XubuRoxMySox
August 23rd, 2010, 03:07 AM
The changes between the two are quite substantial, at least in Xubuntu they were. In Xubuntu karmic there was no PulseAudio. But in Lucid, that troublesome pain the neck software is there - even though none of the default apps depend on it.

Plymouth is another really bothersome change from karmic to Lucid, and all just to gain a fraction of a second faster boot time or something. But it's so fully integrated into Lucid that if you Mark for Removal in Synaptic and look at the list of "dependencies" to be removed along with it, it's like half of the whole OS!

These are big, big changes. And it's really disappointing that they chose an LTS version to do this with.

There's no reason to change what is working well. It's supported for plenty of time yet... time enough, hopefully, to get the major issues with Lucid dealt with before Karmic reaches EOL. And even then... I might just continue to use it anyway.

-Robin

Khakilang
August 23rd, 2010, 05:11 AM
I upgrade to 10.04 to see what is the latest software. Actually I don't really have to because 9.10 has everything I need. If you're happy with 9.10 stick with it. I even have 8.10 testing on my old machine.

NightwishFan
August 23rd, 2010, 06:06 AM
I am using 10.04, I am quite fond of the LTS releases. They get smoothed out very quickly and you can backport any desired features.

To answer the question, I would stay with 9.10 as long as you want (until end of life). Though the .1 of Lucid is out, so things should go quite smoothly. To put it in perspective, I still have most of the machines (except my own) on 9.10. This includes my relatives laptops.

sanderella
August 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Yes, because it is LTS :KS

andrewabc
August 24th, 2010, 01:01 PM
keep using 9.10 until 10.10 is released on October 10. Then test 10.10 on livecd or liveusb to make sure everything works fine.

10.10 has lots of new drivers/kernel/apps compared to 9.10.

I'm currently on 9.10 myself, I skipped 10.04, and hoping 10.10 turns out to be good. Currently 10.10 is not stable for me but hopefully they fix things up by RC time.

gemmakaru
August 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Have to say I prefered 9.10 but I couldn't tell you why. Looking forward to 10.10 to get rid of 10.4. Sorry not very helpful, this is all based on feelings. Maybe I just miss brown.

mango42
August 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM
My experience of 10.04 UbuntuStudio and 10.04.1 vanilla upgrade couldn't be more different. 'Studio works fine.

I won't go into detail here except to say net streaming is totally porked in Firefox and Opera - seems the only stuff that works smoooooothy is g00gle products - which is rather strange considering so many governments all over the world are doing their level best to get g00gle into their courts and out of their countries. Makes ya wonder, dunnit?

Fortunately, I had been 'playing' with Clonezilla before attempting the upgrade from 9.10.

It's a relief to get back to 9.10 and I would recommend Clonezilla to anyone who can distinguish one partition from another and has backups on an external drive... :KS

Sorry, developers - I know how hard you work but ISTM there are forces afoot undoing all your great efforts.

bigseb
August 24th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I switched to 10.04 and it fixed some little niggles I had with 9.10.

Spice Weasel
August 24th, 2010, 02:17 PM
9.10 runs a lot better than 10.04 in my experience. Wait until 10.04 is matured.

formaldehyde_spoon
August 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I've found 10.04 a lot less troublesome than 9.10 was.

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Can you adjust to all the buttons on the other side?

Have you tried everything in a Live Environment to see if everything works?

It's gotten to the point where it's quite stable.

b110datto
August 24th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Im sticking with 9.10 just because I spent hour's working out how to do some awfully powerful technical stuff (Change my resolution to 1024x 768 and then when 10.04 came out it no longer used the xorg.conf file ?
So im staying with 9.10 so i can do awfully powerful technical stuff (Like Change my screen resolution )

Unless I get a few more hours to work out how it's done now (And no doubt it will change again as soon as I have got it sussed out)

So yeh, like every1 else "If it aint broke, don't fix it" ;)

Stancel
August 24th, 2010, 11:55 PM
My upgrade from Karmic to Lucid was disastrous. But my experience may not be the same as yours. What happened to me was, lots of stuff simply stopped working, especially the wireless Internet.

NCLI
August 25th, 2010, 02:05 AM
You're pretty much going to have to upgrade next year, so I suggest you get ready now. Test 10.04, report any bugs you find, and ask the community for help in order to ensure a smooth transition come April.

dtoronto
August 25th, 2010, 02:06 AM
LTS support is absolutely worth the upgrade, I would recommend doing a clean install of Ubuntu instead of the upgrade.

PC_load_letter
August 25th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I switched to 10.04 and it fixed some little niggles I had with 9.10.

I switched to 10.04 on my laptop and exactly the opposite happened. Didn't really have the time to fix anything so I decided to try Linux Mint 9, and I'm more than happy.

andrewabc
August 26th, 2010, 01:19 AM
9.10 runs a lot better than 10.04 in my experience. Wait until 10.04 is matured.

And when will that be?
10.04.1 was released a week or so ago, with lots of bug fixes by default.

But it won't mature much more.

If on 9.10 waiting for 10.10 final is good idea. Of course you have to test before you install to make sure basic stuff works fine (video/audio/software etc).

eumetaxas
August 26th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Don't upgrade if you are happy;)

samalex
August 26th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Does the Ubuntu One music store work with 9.10? That was one of my major reasons to move from 9.04 to 10.04, that plus LTS and some bug fixes. Also the 9.04 repos didn't have the latest versions of Evolution, OOo, Firefox, and a few other apps, and moving to 10.04 made them readily available. I'm not sure if 9.10 has the same problem.

Sam

The Real Dave
August 27th, 2010, 12:10 AM
You know, before, I would have said that upgrading would be something I'd jump at. But I'm still running 9.10 on my main machine. Sure, I've also installed 10.04 to try it out, and I've had 10.04 on other machines since the Alphas, but on this machine, I have no lust to switch.

I've tinkered a thousand things, installed many programs, edited configs, setups, compiled drivers and software, customised themes, all for this setup. And it is damn near perfect. Sure, I could do the same again, but I simply don't want to.

9.10 is working beautifully for me, and it's gonna be staying on my main machine for quite a while yet.

M93
August 27th, 2010, 12:17 AM
yes its got long term support

NCLI
August 27th, 2010, 01:15 AM
You know, before, I would have said that upgrading would be something I'd jump at. But I'm still running 9.10 on my main machine. Sure, I've also installed 10.04 to try it out, and I've had 10.04 on other machines since the Alphas, but on this machine, I have no lust to switch.

I've tinkered a thousand things, installed many programs, edited configs, setups, compiled drivers and software, customised themes, all for this setup. And it is damn near perfect. Sure, I could do the same again, but I simply don't want to.

9.10 is working beautifully for me, and it's gonna be staying on my main machine for quite a while yet.

Take a backup an upgrade then. You'll get to keep all of your tweaks, and gain LTS support.

b110datto
August 27th, 2010, 01:26 AM
You're pretty much going to have to upgrade next year, so I suggest you get ready now. Test 10.04, report any bugs you find, and ask the community for help in order to ensure a smooth transition come April.

Ok, here's one then.....

Can anyone help me change my resolution higher than 800x600 in 10.04.1 ?
Under Monitor properties it says "Unknown Monitor" & I can only select 800x600 .

This happens on 3 different Laptops & with 2 different monitors on my desktop (In other words, this happens on every PC I have)

In Ubuntu 9.10 & below I just edited the Xorg.conf file and rebooted.
There no longer seems to be a xorg.conf file & creating a new one does not help?

Am I missing something basic ? :confused:

b110datto
August 30th, 2010, 04:24 AM
:D Well... that was a thread killer!

But seriously, does anyone know if I take 1 of my 9.10 laptops and do the inplace upgrade to 10.04.1 will I keep my screen resolution that I set in the xorg.conf file?

If I do a clean install on a spare harddrive or boot the live CD ,I cannot change my screen resolution past 800x600 (Im back with the Unknown monitor problem)

Ubuntu needs a way of just setting the 'Unknown Monitor" to "standard 1024x768" or "standard plug & play" monitor or something.

Im a real Noobuntuser so dont fry me if im missing something simple. :D

CharlesA
August 30th, 2010, 07:45 AM
You can try to upgrade it. I don't know much of how the video in Lucid works, as I've only run the desktop on my netbook (video works fine at 1024x600) and in VMs.

Denis Krajnc
August 30th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I suggest you to upgrade to 10.04, because it is LTS release + it's the newest version out there which means a lot of bugs which were in 9.10 are gone + tremendous amount of new features. I suggest you to install new version every time, because new version = better. It's different if you have to install that on 20+ computers, but if you have only one computer to install Ubuntu on, then go for it.

weasel fierce
August 30th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I really enjoyed the upgrade, though its hard to distinguish as I also upgraded to 64 bit at the time.