PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Complete newbie to ubuntu - unable to get my wireless USB adapter working

AAWL
August 23rd, 2010, 01:07 AM
Hello, It's an ex HP desktop PC - the motherboard failed and the local shop rebuilt it in a new case. It started with Windows Vista, but we had a problem with Funshion, a Chinese program my wife wants to use to stream video (movies) to our TV. It was a runtime error. So I got rid of Vista and went back to XP as we have another pc running XP with Funshion successfully - still had a runtime error.

Then I had the bright idea of trying ubuntu as an alternative operating system.

First of all why is it most of the real help requires you to be online? Not much use if you can't get your Netgear wireless USB adapter to work is it?

I've spent all day following all the advice I could find. I've learned a lot including how to install stuff like ndisgtk that didn't come with the download.

After running the checks, the driver appears to be installed correctly, my USB adapter is being detected ie ndiswrapper seems to detect it but I still can't connect. . . . . . . .

Any help? It's a WG111T USB wireless adapter. (Runs fine with Windows.) Oh, I did download the latest driver, supposed to be 64bit capable.

Weird PC - when I switched from Vista to XP it took me half a day to get some sound out of it - and I still don't know what I did to make it work. Well, with ubuntu the sound is working but I can't get online.

Revolutionary101
August 23rd, 2010, 01:14 AM
Did you follow this tutorial?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/WG111T

That might help.

AAWL
August 23rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hi and thanks for that. Yes I followed that exactly except at step 6 where 'The Network Manager should do the rest.' nothing happened. The thing that gets me is that in the attached set of instructions it says
'Download Wine. To install the latest stable release go to Applications → Ubuntu Software Center. Simply search for the word "wine" and install Wine Microsoft (http://www.associatedcontent.com/theme/1199/microsoft.html) Windows Compatibility Layer.'

How the heck do you download wine when the pc won't connect?

AAWL
August 23rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
OK, another working solution has been found. So thanks for your help and goodbye. :)