PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Config defaults for GNOME Power Manager

cfishburn
August 23rd, 2010, 12:10 AM
Ubuntu 10.04, locked up and could not recover, when I shut down and
booted back up I got error message:"config defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly". I went searching for an answer and found
some possible solutions by going to the terminal. Using ctl+alt+F1. Then it asks for my desktop login, I entered my login and then the password was requested. I entered my admin password, but it would not accept it. The other thing I notice is that the cursor did not move when I entered my password. What am I missing. I'm a novice at fixing Ubuntu, end user mostly, with some experimenting with packages and some terminal line use.
I'm currently operating from my 10.04 disk I burned about 2 months ago.
Chris

Chauncellor
August 23rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Okay, this seems a little tricky.

Try this command in the terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal):

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-power-manager

and enter your password (there will be no visual feedback but it knows that you are typing).

cfishburn
August 25th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks Chauncellor. Ran you suggestion, then went to reboot.Not sure how
to do that from terminal line, so I shut down the computer and turned it back on. Then I got a lot of error messages and file not found. I shut down again and came back up with the cd. I mounted my hard drive and it seems my
root file is unreadable. So I think I'm left with saving all the files from my hard drive and reloading Ubuntu from cd. What do I need to save outside my home file, especially interested in saving the Firefox info and the Evolution info. Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Chauncellor
August 25th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Well, your firefox and evolution configuration folders are hidden in the Home directory (most programs are). Bring up the file browser in your home folder and enable hidden folder viewing (View>Show Hidden Files).

Firefox is .mozilla and Evolution is .evolution. If you place those folders in a new installation you'll keep your configs.

If you want we can try to get this to work, still. What do you mean by unreadable?

cfishburn
August 25th, 2010, 02:08 AM
When I open the hard drive all the admin files come up. The folder labelled
ROOT has an x in it and when I view its Properties it says "unreadable".
Chris

cfishburn
August 25th, 2010, 02:09 AM
The folder Lost+Found has an x in it as well
Chris

Chauncellor
August 25th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Ah, you're not in your folder :).

With Unix like systems there is your account and there is root. As security you are not allowed to do anything root related (unless you invoke privileges with a password). This might enlighten: http://www.linfo.org/root.html

your folder is in /home. I'd imagine it would be /home/chris.

Vaphell
August 25th, 2010, 02:13 AM
/root dir is a home dir of root user and it always says that when you are not working as a privileged user. Either way there is nothing particularly interesting in that dir.
your stuff is in /home/yourname and concentrate on that

Chauncellor
August 25th, 2010, 02:14 AM
But let's continue to try and fix this: What are these error messages you get now?

cfishburn
August 25th, 2010, 02:33 AM
They scroll by faster than I can read and don't seem able to back up to copy them all. I will try again, but I don't know any way to try to boot up without removing the cd, shutting off the computer. Any other way to boot up in parallel.
Chris

cfishburn
August 25th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Also, I file is home/chris

cfishburn
August 25th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Sorry, read the file, not I file.
Also, found the hidden files.
Chris

cfishburn
August 25th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the help, need to leave til tomorrow. If we can't salvage this,I just need to copy chris to a memory stick reload Ubuntu and then copy everything off the memory stick to resident home file and we should be back, or am I missing something.
Chris

Chauncellor
August 25th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Essentially, yes. Feel free to post some error messages and we can try to help.