PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually use OGG video?

LinuxFox
August 22nd, 2010, 11:47 PM
I was wondering this today, all I could think of is Wikipedia's Commons and the Big Buck Bunny animated short. Is there anyone else that uses the ogg or ogv format for videos? Such as podcasts, original online videos or anything else like that.

I know there are plugins for other formats in Ubuntu, but those legal notices kind of scare me, so I wanted to try this alternative.

Any recommendations would be great and please no illegal videos. :)

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 23rd, 2010, 12:27 AM
I have a couple old mp3 players that support ogg, i've ripped to ogg on those a few times. It's handy for me.

LinuxFox
August 23rd, 2010, 12:29 AM
I have a couple old mp3 players that support ogg, i've ripped to ogg on those a few times. It's handy for me.I actually meant the OGG Video format, but I gotta admit, having ogg music support on an digital audio player is pretty cool. 8)

p.s.
August 23rd, 2010, 12:37 AM
I use it, but not widely.

renkinjutsu
August 23rd, 2010, 12:43 AM
whenever i record my screencasts, i use recordmydesktop and it outputs in ogv

Dustin2128
August 23rd, 2010, 12:55 AM
me

NightwishFan
August 23rd, 2010, 02:17 AM
I use it exclusively and it has gotten better lately.

Queue29
August 23rd, 2010, 02:40 AM
I use ogv for ripping dvd's.. because that's what thoggen defaults to. I don't really have any other motive for doing so.

toupeiro
August 23rd, 2010, 06:27 AM
I use it regularly for screencasting in high definition and it works wonderfully. I am, however, using daily builds of ffmpeg, x264 and libvpx.

Facebook and Youtube both accept this format. there are fewer and fewer reasons for me to use anything else. I use openshot for splicing and editing. Comes in very handy when I want to blur a login ID or anything else.

Madspyman
August 23rd, 2010, 06:31 AM
I use it for posting video clips using HTML5, I use x264 as well, but Firefox needs Theora.

MathUHenry
August 26th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I used it to scan my DVD collection to my hard drive - then shipped the physical collection to my parents so I don't have to store it (they didn't mind).

stmiller
August 26th, 2010, 01:43 AM
It works great for html5 video though only on Chrome and Firefox:

http://scottlinux.com/?p=803

If Safari and IE adopted ogg video for html5, it would really take off.

DeadSuperHero
August 26th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I've converted to Theora a few times, but the video sites that use the format (Blip.tv, for example) has a much smaller audience than that of YouTube, so good luck getting a following. :/

On the other hand, WebM is constantly looking more and more promising.

undecim
August 26th, 2010, 03:28 AM
The Linux version of Regnum online uses an ogg video for their splash screen that showes their company name. I could see them using it in their Window's version too, if it means they don't have to worry about licensing issues.