PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .conkyrc file won't let me edit it

thejakeman
August 22nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
It says it's Read-Only in gedit and I cant delete it or modify the permissions because it says I'm not the owner. What do I do?

rollin
August 22nd, 2010, 10:30 PM
Have you tried opening it with root permissions? Could be the problem you are having? Try copying and pasting:

gksu gedit ~/.conkyrcMake your changes and see if you can now save them?

arochester
August 22nd, 2010, 10:32 PM
You need to open gedit FROM THE TERMINAL with the command: gksudo gedit [path to the file]

This will give you rights.

stoogiebuncho
August 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM
Your .conkyrc file should be saved in your /home/username/ folder. Is that where yours is saved?

Assuming it is, you can give yourself permission to edit it so that you don't have to put in your password every time you want to make a change.

Press Alt+F2, and type: gksudo nautilus

This will open up a file manager with root access. Find your .conkyrc file and right-click on it, and go to Properties. Go to the permissions tag and give yourself permission to read and write. After that you should be able to edit it without using your password.

(Note: A lot of system files will not work if you change their permissions, so don't go doing this to every file you find. But your .conkyrc file is supposed to be owned by you, so you can change the permissions without worrying.)