PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Enable DMA in Lucid

roy913
August 22nd, 2010, 07:50 PM
It took me hours to figure out what had happened to my dvd drive.

My problems were choppy dvd playback and super slow dvd burning speed (less than 2x).

Then I figure out it was something about the DMA.

But most of the solutions out there are for older version of Ubuntu like 8.04 etc so I guess this is the reason why they do not work on my machine with 10.04.

Finally found this thread:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/292142

In this thread Dimitris Kalamaras wrote:

Here is the dmesg message I was getting:
[ 7.684439] ata8.01: ATAPI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B, DL10, max UDMA/33
[ 7.684457] ata8.01: WARNING: ATAPI DMA disabled for reliablity issues. It can be enabled
[ 7.684459] ata8.01: WARNING: via pata_ali.atapi_dma modparam or corresponding sysfs node.

I followed these workarounds:
Added
1) "options pata_ali atapi_dma=1" in /etc/modprobe.d/options (new file for me!)
2) "echo 1 > /sys/module/pata_ali/parameters/atapi_dma" in /etc/rc.local

and finally I added
"pata_ali atapi_dma=1" to "/etc/initramfs-tools/modules"

All these to be sure! :)

After the reboot (the dmesg messages still appear!) the problem was finally solved.
Now I can watch and write DVDs at full speed.

I have come across exact situation and this thread by Dimitris Kalamaras saves my life.

There should be some reasons for DMA to be disable by default. However, it should provide a solution or better document to show how to enable it. It's really a pain to see my dvd buring at below 2x which it should be at 8x.

Millions thanks to Dimitris Kalamaras!

(not to mention my harddrive shows a drastic increase in reading speed after DMA is enabled.)

Spydr4590
September 3rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Roy you rock! Thanks for this. Also people should use dmesg | grep ata to tell if it's on or off. ;)