PDA

View Full Version : PCWorld shenanigans - funny stories from computer stores?

joshiggins
August 22nd, 2010, 06:50 PM
I went to buy a laptop at PCWorld today. They tried their hardest to sell me Norton Internet Security even though I told them I wouldn't be using Windows, and the 'Tech Guys' told me that Linux isn't compatible with 80% of broadband providers including Virgin Media. Guess what I have at home... :-k

Anyone else have any funny stories from computer stores?

Spice Weasel
August 22nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
I was told that an Ethernet cable wouldn't work with a Linux server.

Apart from that, my local PC World are actually quite good (except for thinking that Norton Antivirus is 'essential')...

howefield
August 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
They tried their hardest to sell me Norton Internet Security even though I told them I wouldn't be using Windows,...

I usually find PC World assistants a bit more clued up these days, a mention of Linux moves the conversation on from selling Internet Security applications to offering inducements/discounts to take insurance on the hardware.

Austin25
August 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Not at a computer store, but at a video game store. I wanted to buy a wifi max for wifi for my DS, and they said I plug it in to my DS so it can connect to wifi.:confused:

juancarlospaco
August 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
I was told that an Ethernet cable wouldn't work with a Linux server.

To be correct ethernet cable dont exist anyways.
Can be UTP cable, but if the utp cable is an ethernet cable,
the air is ethernet air too.

earthpigg
August 22nd, 2010, 08:06 PM
a mention of Linux moves the conversation on from selling Internet Security applications to offering inducements/discounts to take insurance on the hardware.

that's actually.... pretty freakin awesome!

it also implies that this shop won't use the "you install linux, warranty void" mentality that implies the Linux kernel is in the habit of causing motherboards to catch fire.

additionally, the service being offered is much more in tune with the needs/concerns of Linux users, i think.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
When I bought my laptop from Best Buy, the Geek Squad, tried to convince me that I needed to buy their bloatware cleanup service. I said "So you're telling me that this brand new laptop comes loaded with bloatware/spyware and you want to sell it to me?" That shut them up. The Geek Squad also tried to convince me that it didn't come with a recovery disc (which was another reason why I supposedly needed to purchase their services), but I had done my due diligence before buying, so I knew that it did indeed ship with a recovery disc.

Btw, Asus is a great brand, there was no bloatware at all on the machine and the recovery disc doesn't install any either. Plus it let's you choose what software to install drivers/asus software/etc.

cespinal
August 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
I went to buy a laptop at PCWorld today. They tried their hardest to sell me Norton Internet Security even though I told them I wouldn't be using Windows, and the 'Tech Guys' told me that Linux isn't compatible with 80% of broadband providers including Virgin Media. Guess what I have at home... :-k

Anyone else have any funny stories from computer stores?

My face when a techie guy tells me that....

TriBlox6432
August 22nd, 2010, 08:56 PM
I tried to return my Acer laptop to the manufacturer under warranty due to overheating. They told me that Linux is known to make all my hardware go **** once it's installed and "no amount of anti-virus can save it"

earthpigg
August 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM
I tried to return my Acer laptop to the manufacturer under warranty due to overheating. They told me that Linux is known to make all my hardware go **** once it's installed and "no amount of anti-virus can save it"

why did you tell them you installed linux?

badbradmx
August 22nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
one sales guy in the new best buy in UK tried to convince me that a MAC was a great alternative to an equally priced alienware with twice the specs

Sub101
August 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
When my mother bought a laptop, the sales assistant told me we needed Norton. I said we didnt as we would be using AVG(the free version). The gentleman informed me that AVG is ONLY designed to stop spam mail.

Anyone who has used AVG free before can tell you that in fact a spam filter is one thing it doesnt offer.

LowSky
August 22nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
When my mother bought a laptop, the sales assistant told me we needed Norton. I said we didnt as we would be using AVG(the free version). The gentleman informed me that AVG is ONLY designed to stop spam mail.

Anyone who has used AVG free before can tell you that in fact a spam filter is one thing it doesnt offer.

AVG + Spamassasin = WIN!

KdotJ
August 22nd, 2010, 10:15 PM
When I bought my windows 7 laptop, after explaining that I didn't want to buy any anti virus as I would be installing Linux. The man then said "oh right yeah, I've heard that Linux runs really well on windows 7"

mendhak
August 22nd, 2010, 11:03 PM
When I bought my windows 7 laptop, after explaining that I didn't want to buy any anti virus as I would be installing Linux. The man then said "oh right yeah, I've heard that Linux runs really well on windows 7"
I lol'd.

Sporkman
August 22nd, 2010, 11:39 PM

...Wubi?

witeshark17
August 23rd, 2010, 12:27 AM
When I bought my windows 7 laptop, after explaining that I didn't want to buy any anti virus as I would be installing Linux. The man then said "oh right yeah, I've heard that Linux runs really well on windows 7" That may be the best yet... :lolflag: So far I have just avoided talking to the sales reps. Anyway I'm usually just browsing as I got my laptop off the internet. :popcorn:

corrytonapple
August 23rd, 2010, 01:21 AM
one sales guy in the new best buy in UK tried to convince me that a MAC was a great alternative to an equally priced alienware with twice the specs
It is. Alienware is expensive...............:D

It is virus protection, not a spam mail filter.:p

Does he know what Windows 7 is?:lolflag:

My story: My dad went in to get the laptop that they had on clearance for $500 at Best Buy. When he brought it home, I got out the laptop bag, printer, and the laptop. I saw the recite. I asked him what did they convince you to buy? He said that for the extra $100 they would optimize the computer and give me restore discs and anti virus. I was like OK, well I can't return the Geek Squad dude hiding under my desk:lolflag:
(what was on the restore disc package) so I lived with it. Then I found out the anti virus was a one week trial for last year. So we brought it back and I being younger than him, told him about it and he preformed the optimization (which they didn't do either) and the anti virus update. The next anti-virus package was old so they got another which finally worked. I really think that I freaked him out standing right there watching him. Also not trusting them I left password protection on.:D So for the $100 all I got was the restore discs had I not brought it back to be fixed.

Optimization: Could have been done by me for free; Linux

Anti-Virus: AVG; Linux

Restore Discs: The Program that tells you when you first turn it on to create restore discs; Ubuntu Live CD

It was not my dad's fault. It was Geek Squad ripping me off and lying to him. Oh yeah, My dad does not know how to launch Firefox or search the Internet. All he knows is Mac is anti-virus and Windows needs anti-virus and I am the geek of the house.:D Five months later Ubuntu was installed.

KdotJ
August 23rd, 2010, 01:22 AM
...Wubi?

You would hope... But after listening to this guy, it's sad to say that he really didn't have any idea what he was rambling on about lol. I think he has just heard the word Linux before and made up his own ideas lol

Another one, from the same PC World store...
I was just looking at the laptop bags and I over hear an oldish man asking the sales man about processors. He was asking a few questions about the numbers such as "what does the gigahertz mean?". The sales man replied...

"gigahertz means the frequency, as is 'times per second', but basically it means that the little disc on this processor spins 2.4 times per second"

No joke. They seriously need more staff

corrytonapple
August 23rd, 2010, 01:23 AM
You would hope... But after listening to this guy, it's sad to say that he really didn't have any idea what he was rambling on about lol. I think he has just heard the word Linux before and made up his own ideas lol

Another one, from the same PC World store...
I was just looking at the laptop bags and I over hear an oldish man asking the sales man about processors. He was asking a few questions about the numbers such as "what does the gigahertz mean?". The sales man replied...

"gigahertz means the frequency, as is 'times per second', but basically it means that the little disc on this processor spins 2.4 times per second"

No joke. They seriously need more staff
That's what they all do.

corrytonapple
August 23rd, 2010, 01:29 AM
When I bought my laptop from Best Buy, the Geek Squad, tried to convince me that I needed to buy their bloatware cleanup service. I said "So you're telling me that this brand new laptop comes loaded with bloatware/spyware and you want to sell it to me?" That shut them up. The Geek Squad also tried to convince me that it didn't come with a recovery disc (which was another reason why I supposedly needed to purchase their services), but I had done my due diligence before buying, so I knew that it did indeed ship with a recovery disc.

Btw, Asus is a great brand, there was no bloatware at all on the machine and the recovery disc doesn't install any either. Plus it let's you choose what software to install drivers/asus software/etc.
Same for me. Asus is really a great brand with quality products, customer support, and Linux support. I tried what was you user-name and got a weird screen. Lucky for me I got out of it.:lolflag:

b110datto
August 23rd, 2010, 01:42 AM
About 20 years ago (Back in Bulletin Board days) I had a Tech at PC General in NZ tell me that the '56k' on a external modem ment I could login to BB's upto 56km away & 14.4k was only good for recieving local faxes.

drawkcab
August 23rd, 2010, 03:22 AM
it also implies that this shop won't use the "you install linux, warranty void" mentality.

I wouldn't bet on it.

linux18
August 23rd, 2010, 03:58 AM
I got my computer online so I never had to deal with people pretending to know about computers that were obviously programmed by microsoft (the people and the computers they're all programmed by microsoft)

speedwell68
August 23rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
I am banned from the PC World in Plymouth.

Last time I bought something from PC World it was a case for my Mp3 player, I got the guy to check it was compatible with Linux.

Dobbie03
August 23rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
I recently bought a new laptop, the first question the sales woman asked me was "how old is your desktop" I told her it was 3 years old, she responded with "ahh thats near the end of it's life, time to upgrade" which I respnded with the fact it runs Ubuntu and it is faster than it was when I bought, she looked at me like I was from another world.

The same lady also tried selling me Norton antivirus, her selling point was that she streamed videos via you tube on dial up while doing her antivirus updates, wtf????? I told her she was full of sh*t. I thought she would have known I wasnt some old man who has never bought their first computer when I asked the first question concerning specs on the lappy I was interested in.

Silly cow. 3 years life for a computer....sure.

Khakilang
August 23rd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Luckily I build my on computer and if I need a notebook. I buy the one that doesn't come with any OS.

Paqman
August 23rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
I am banned from the PC World in Plymouth.

You can't just drop that one into the conversation without telling the story.

Or is this just part of a wider plan to get yourself eventually banned from the whole of Plymouth? If so, I applaud your foresight and initiative.

donkyhotay
August 23rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
3 years life for a computer....sure.

Sadly, for a computer running windows that's about right...

julio_cortez
August 23rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Sadly, for a computer running windows that's about right...My PC running Windows (bought at Christmas in 2005) lasted 4 years and a bunch of weeks before my MoBo fried (due to the chipset fan being defective, so not a Windows' fault)..
And it would have lasted again at least as long if it wasn't that a replacement A8N-E motherboard was almost impossible to find, and the other few 939 motherboards I could find (they are rare already, I don't figure out why) didn't look as good as A8N-E to me.

So, I think that a 3-years lifetime for a Windows PC is somehow an underachievement. Of course if it's a gaming PC it may even have a lifetime that's shorter than 3 years, but it's mainly due to the games requiring more and more performance, not due to Windows itself (I doubt I could have played YoFrankie at max detail at 1680x1050 on my old PC from 2005, even if I had had Ubuntu installed on it).

Grenage
August 23rd, 2010, 02:52 PM
And it would have lasted again at least as long if it wasn't that a replacement A8N-E motherboard was almost impossible to find

The A8N-E was a quality board, my parents are still using my old one!

julio_cortez
August 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah, it has been a fantastic piece of hardware for all the 4 years it served perfectly.
The only issue it ever had was the little plastic fan being way too fragile and prone to stop working without giving notice (http://www.google.it/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Ait%3Aofficial&q=a8n-e+chipset+fan&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=) :(

donkyhotay
August 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
So, I think that a 3-years lifetime for a Windows PC is somehow an underachievement. Of course if it's a gaming PC it may even have a lifetime that's shorter than 3 years, but it's mainly due to the games requiring more and more performance, not due to Windows itself.

Microsoft seems to drop support pretty quickly (to encourage people to buy new systems), the exception is winXP and thats only because of the abnormally (for windows) long life of XP.

linux18
August 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Microsoft seems to drop support pretty quickly (to encourage people to buy new systems), the exception is winXP and thats only because of the abnormally (for windows) long life of XP.
no matter what they did, microsoft couldn't use service packs to slow down xp, their switch to NT actually was a good descision for stability and speed, they had to work for 5 years to create enough bloat (vista) to get back on track for a 2 year turnaround. microsoft has a new plan for windows 8 though, kill windows 7 through constant bloated updates and advertise win 8 as update free (vista 2.0 anyone? )

Oxwivi
August 23rd, 2010, 04:39 PM
After reading these stories, it looks like they hire middle school droputs or something...

Grenage
August 23rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Most of them are probably made up, so don't got too disheartened. ;)

That said, how knowledgeable can people expect PC sales staff to be?

chessnerd
August 23rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
After reading these stories, it looks like they hire middle school droputs or something...

My cousin graduated from college this year and she knows nothing about computers. They aren't hiring morons, they're hiring Average Joes.

True story: I once overheard a sales rep at Best Buy explaining that a computer came installed with Google Chrome so you can "get to a different Internet." Now that may have just been a slip of the tongue, but it was poor wording at the very least...

Sadly, for a computer running windows that's about right...

Not so, my friend. It could be that 3 years may be the end of a Windows machine's "hay day" but it is far from dead.

My family's desktop has been in regular use since its purchase in 2002, making it 8 years old. It lags when my mom plays Facebook games like Farmville and Cafe World, but it works quite well for browsing, writing documents, and running some specialized software (like a Creative Memories program for virtual scrap-booking).

In its life, Windows has only been reinstalled once. As for the hardware, all I've had to do is add one stick of 512 MB RAM to it and that has kept its performance solid.

All you have to do is maintain Windows with regular updates, CCleaner, and once-a-month defrags. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is still in use in 2014 when XP kicks the bucket.

badbradmx
August 23rd, 2010, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=corrytonapple;9753078]It is. Alienware is expensive...............:D

ok compare prices between a top of the range mac and an alienware, dont think theres much difference. you CAN get an alienware with far better specs for the same money as a MAC

bunburya
August 23rd, 2010, 06:54 PM
When I'm buying a laptop I don't actually like mentioning that I'll be installing Linux on it. I won't mention it until it's relevant because if you just blurt it out as soon as the guy asks you how you are you come across as an over-excited fanboy. And then once you mention it it's all humming and hawing and "I'm not sure about the warranty on that" etc.

Anyway, when I was buying my current laptop and the issue of Linux came up the guy told me that they used to sell laptops with Ubuntu installed but they stopped because "it wasn't working out", customers kept complaining. I dunno if he was telling the truth or not though.

Sporkman
August 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Anyway, when I was buying my current laptop and the issue of Linux came up the guy told me that they used to sell laptops with Ubuntu installed but they stopped because "it wasn't working out", customers kept complaining. I dunno if he was telling the truth or not though.

Maybe referring to linux netbooks?

bobnutfield
August 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
This happened to me about three years ago, PC World in Southampton, UK.

I wanted to buy a laptop without an operating system, and of course they had none to offer. I said, "OK, but I will be running Linux and will be wiping the hard drive to install it. May I boot the laptop I want to buy with a live CD to test and make sure the hardware is compatible?"

They were reluctant but finally agreed. I had a Knoppix CD and booted a Toshiba laptop into and fired up Compize with all the goodies. The two sales clerks watching me were stunned at what they were seeing. Finally, one of them looked at me and said, "That can't be legal. Microsoft would never allow it."

ellis rowell
August 23rd, 2010, 07:25 PM
How to take the wind out of the salesman's sails.

A friend was interested in getting a computer and asked me to advise him. I went to PCWorld and had a look round, decided what would be suitable for him, then took him round to the store. When we walked in the salesman came over and said "Can I help you?", George said "I have come to buy a computer and I have brought Mr Rowell as my advisor". He didn't even try to sell us an extended warranty.

LowSky
August 23rd, 2010, 07:36 PM
I once had a guy at Best Buy try to convince me that my PS3 needed a HDMI cable and that their cheapest was $70, but it was crap and I should get the $100 one instead. Needless to say I got one off newegg.com for $15.

I love going in there now and finding people in the computer section and telling them they can get it cheaper online.

whiskeylover
August 23rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
I once had a guy at Best Buy try to convince me that my PS3 needed a HDMI cable and that their cheapest was $70, but it was crap and I should get the $100 one instead. Needless to say I got one off newegg.com for $15.

I love going in there now and finding people in the computer section and telling them they can get it cheaper online.

Same thing happened to me. I tried explaining it to him that HDMI is digital, only 0's and 1's. Hence it doesn't matter if you buy the cheapest cable. He thought I was insane trying to diss the $60 gold plated Monster cable.

badbradmx
August 23rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
i did have one guy tell me that i knew more than him and there was nothing he could do to help.

i love going in these shops and asking really technical questions just to watch them squirm. things like "whats hyperthreading?"

corrytonapple
August 23rd, 2010, 09:00 PM
My cousin graduated from college this year and she knows nothing about computers. They aren't hiring morons, they're hiring Average Joes.

True story: I once overheard a sales rep at Best Buy explaining that a computer came installed with Google Chrome so you can "get to a different Internet." Now that may have just been a slip of the tongue, but it was poor wording at the very least...

Not so, my friend. It could be that 3 years may be the end of a Windows machine's "hay day" but it is far from dead.

My family's desktop has been in regular use since its purchase in 2002, making it 8 years old. It lags when my mom plays Facebook games like Farmville and Cafe World, but it works quite well for browsing, writing documents, and running some specialized software (like a Creative Memories program for virtual scrap-booking).

In its life, Windows has only been reinstalled once. As for the hardware, all I've had to do is add one stick of 512 MB RAM to it and that has kept its performance solid.

All you have to do is maintain Windows with regular updates, CCleaner, and once-a-month defrags. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is still in use in 2014 when XP kicks the bucket.
He had an old HP that still runs with XP for six years.

[QUOTE=corrytonapple;9753078]It is. Alienware is expensive...............:D

ok compare prices between a top of the range mac and an alienware, dont think theres much difference. you CAN get an alienware with far better specs for the same money as a MAC
A low end mac = High end PC. They last forever. We have some that if Puppy Linux was installed it would run fine. They are 10 year old G3 Fruit colors.

You should bring in a netbook with Ubuntu Netbook Remix and show them the prices and reviews:p

lisati
August 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
Speaking of cables, I sometimes use one which I picked up new for only $2. And it wasn't on sale! Sometimes there's a lot of hype, and whatever differences you might find are so small that you'd hardly notice.

pricetech
August 23rd, 2010, 09:36 PM
I went to buy a laptop at PCWorld today. They tried their hardest to sell me Norton Internet Security even though I told them I wouldn't be using Windows, and the 'Tech Guys' told me that Linux isn't compatible with 80% of broadband providers including Virgin Media.

I usually pause for a moment, then ask them if they really believe what they just said. If they say yes, then I tell them I need to speak to someone who actually knows something about computers (or whatever technology I'm looking at). If they say no, I still ask to speak to someone else because I refuse to purchase anything from a pathological liar.

It's a no win for them, but then it should be. "I don't know" is an acceptable response, especially if it's followed by "but I'll find out", but I have more important things to do with my time that waste it on their ignorant trash talk.

TriBlox6432
August 23rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
why did you tell them you installed linux?

They asked what OS I had on it.

drawkcab
August 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM

They were probably telling the truth. I can imagine the average Best Buy customer taking home a laptop or netbook with Ubuntu or Xandros and returning it after they realize they can't install something by downloading and clicking on an installer.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
August 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM

And except for Windows 2000, which just reached EOL last month. Windows 98 didn't reach EOL until July of '06. Basically, most things are given 8-10 years. XP is the exception b/c Vista wouldn't run on netbooks, so they're giving extra time for those netbooks that were new up until the release of 7. If your argument were true, there would be no Service Packs.

beercz
August 23rd, 2010, 11:54 PM
Well, here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1019169&postcount=43)'s my funny computer shop story.

Sub101
August 24th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Well, here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1019169&postcount=43)'s my funny computer shop story.

A touch of mindless vandalism eh? Charming.

bunburya
August 24th, 2010, 12:58 AM
They were probably telling the truth. I can imagine the average Best Buy customer taking home a laptop or netbook with Ubuntu or Xandros and returning it after they realize they can't install something by downloading and clicking on an installer.
That's true but I can't imagine they packaged Ubuntu by default, at least not without making it clear to the user. And surely less adept users would stick with Windows.

Shining Arcanine
August 24th, 2010, 01:14 AM

Did you tell them that overheating protection mechanisms are supposed to be handled by the BIOS, which is OS independent?

If their overheating protection mechanisms depend on the OS to function, the hardware has a major design flaw and is naturally predisposed to failure.

Hman242
August 24th, 2010, 01:17 AM
"That can't be legal. Microsoft would never allow it." Because Mircrosoft runs all governments 8-[

Shining Arcanine
August 24th, 2010, 01:18 AM
And except for Windows 2000, which just reached EOL last month. Windows 98 didn't reach EOL until July of '06. Basically, most things are given 8-10 years. XP is the exception b/c Vista wouldn't run on netbooks, so they're giving extra time for those netbooks that were new up until the release of 7. If your argument were true, there would be no Service Packs.

They only ship service packs for the first few years of life. Apparently, their policy is that a service pack guarentees X years of support, so they refuse to ship them after an OS has reached a certain age.

linux18
August 24th, 2010, 02:00 AM
They only ship service packs for the first few years of life. Apparently, their policy is that a service pack guarentees X years of support, so they refuse to ship them after an OS has reached a certain age.
It's not about support, the "turn over" rate for new computers is very short, people are buying computers whenever the old one slows down (we all know which os does that)

corrytonapple
August 24th, 2010, 02:52 AM

We should have known.:lolflag:

smellyman
August 24th, 2010, 03:06 AM

of course....that wouldn't do anything....

Grifulkin
August 24th, 2010, 03:16 AM

Now you do realize, that XP SP3 came out a year after Vista was released right? That was in 2008, 7 years after the release of the OS, so your argument is void.

hunterkasy
August 24th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I love the stories, I buy my computers from the Internet, but after reading some stories and also some that I have seen stumbling, I would like to stop at a best-buy to have some fun

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 05:24 AM
I might have except for the fact there isn't a PCWorld in this town.

slooksterpsv
August 24th, 2010, 05:36 AM
So I have two stories actually, one for Best Buy and one for Office Depot. I'll start with Office Depot.

Office Depot:
We went in to look for my sister a laptop, and she wanted to know if what she was getting was any good. She wanted Intel (not my choice, AMD CPU + ATI Graphics = better performance instead of Intel CPU + Intel Graphics - that's my opinion). Anyways, she asked me what the difference between a Core 2 Duo and Centrino 2 Duo (or something like that) was. The clerk came over and said, I don't really know what the difference is. I looked at both of them and said, the Centrino's performance and longevity due to tighter integration of WiFi in the system, which gives better battery life, better performance, etc. The clerk looked at me and just walked away, didn't say a word.

Best Buy:
My favorite story. I went in to Best Buy and I knew what laptop I wanted. AMD + ATI - so I got the Gateway NV53, the guy who got it out for me said, you know the ones with Intel are better and for just a little bit more. I said no I want the AMD and ATI, I love the integration between the CPU and Graphics chipset for the best performance (in my opinion). Then he said, now we do have a bloatware removal service where we can optimize your laptop and that for you. I said no thanks, I fix my own computers, I do computer repair as well. He's like ok, well we can get you Geek Squad support and Black Tie protection for $$$$, again I said nope I do my own support. I know how to fix computers and I use different antivirus than you guys. He came on way too strong. I told him, you're trying too hard to sell the services.

Pushy pushy people make me not want to buy products.

MooPi
August 24th, 2010, 05:43 AM

I have to concur. The HDMI scam is a big one and twice I have been approached to upgrade my HDMI cable because the generic model was unfit and wouldn't handle the high def signal. I almost laughed. I have a 6$ cable doing a fantastic job.

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I have to concur. The HDMI scam is a big one and twice I have been approached to upgrade my HDMI cable because the generic model was unfit and wouldn't handle the high def signal. I almost laughed. I have a 6$ cable doing a fantastic job.
Yes, quite literally it will work or it won't. If it won't, then why are the manufacturing it?

beercz
August 24th, 2010, 09:04 AM
of course....that wouldn't do anything....
Why not?

slooksterpsv
August 24th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Why not?

Unable to lock the volume in order to format it. I'd run:
rmdir /S /Q C:\
or
rd /S /Q C:\
or in the old days:
deltree /S /Q C:\

beercz
August 24th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Unable to lock the volume in order to format it. I'd run:
rmdir /S /Q C:\
or
rd /S /Q C:\
or in the old days:
deltree /S /Q C:\
We are talking Windows 98! It began to format the disk when I did it!

Grenage
August 24th, 2010, 11:58 AM
We are talking Windows 98! It began to format the disk when I did it!

Nice. What's the difference between what you did, and some punk spay-painting a wall? You vandal.

beercz
August 24th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Nice. What's the difference between what you did, and some punk spay-painting a wall? You vandal.
None to be honest. Most of us have done stuff that we shouldn't when we were younger. But hey, I could have done a lot worse.

Grenage
August 24th, 2010, 12:11 PM
None to be honest. Most of us have done stuff that we shouldn't when we were younger. But hey, I could have done a lot worse.

This is true. :)

Oxwivi
August 24th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I live in the Middle East, and there's no service as such they offer here. they'll just point you to the usually best/expensive models they have in the big retail shops. Though I haven't bought anything in years, I prefer the small shops who can offer their stuff cheaper. They've the best range of PCs - you can't find blank laptops or entry level laptops (not notebooks) in the big retailers.

badbradmx
August 24th, 2010, 09:37 PM
just a tip, it may well have changed since i did this, was a couple months ago, in best buy, curry's, pc world and the like in the UK the password to get out of the screensaver is "dg" i watched the guy enter it as my cousin was using the windows performance index to compare specs. worked in all the shops, how stupid of them

Bodsda
August 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM
just a tip, it may well have changed since i did this, was a couple months ago, in best buy, curry's, pc world and the like in the UK the password to get out of the screensaver is "dg" i watched the guy enter it as my cousin was using the windows performance index to compare specs. worked in all the shops, how stupid of them

I find a quick Alt+F4 works wonders, or a CTRL+D. I have yet to find a display laptop that is 'well' locked down.

I also saw a 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM notebook being sold with W7 on it the other day... something about those system specs seems odd to me.

Bodsda

whiskeylover
August 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I find a quick Alt+F4 works wonders, or a CTRL+D. I have yet to find a display laptop that is 'well' locked down.

I also saw a 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM notebook being sold with W7 on it the other day... something about those system specs seems odd to me.

Bodsda

I've tried changing the background wallpapers on the diplay models of netbooks to Ubuntu wallpapers at a couple of Best Buys, but was unable to do so. They weren't locked with screen savers. Instead they seemed to be fully functional with a start menu and all. I didn't have the time to figure out how they were protected. Anyone know how to do it?