PDA

View Full Version : Over usage of CPU on my 1000HE

rogare
August 22nd, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hey everyone!
Just installed the UNBR 10.04 in my 1000HE few days ago (dual-booting with Win XP), and it seems like it uses really lots of CPU power. With only Google Chrome and a Flash plug-in running, around 70-80%. With my XP I can run few heavy programs on the same time with 40% CPU usage.
Any idea what is happening here? Already happened that I had to hold the power button because it wouldn't respond (the mouse moved, few icons changed color when I moved above them - but nothing else happened).
Thanks!

lovinglinux
August 22nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.com/2010/06/flash-issues-solutions.html
http://firefox-tutorials.blogspot.com/2010/05/flash-optimization.html

rogare
August 23rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
Did not find anything helpful in these articles.
Can you refer me to a specific paragraph which I might have missed?

Fafler
August 23rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
I have no idea what the problem really is, but flash under Linux tends to use much more CPU than Windows. For me, this problem has been present ever since Flash for Linux came out and it seems i can't do anything about it. The best solution is a plugin for Firefox that prevents Flash applets for running until they a deliberately started by the user.

rogare
August 23rd, 2010, 10:45 AM
But I did start them. I need them!

hsoulen
August 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hey everyone!
Just installed the UNBR 10.04 in my 1000HE few days ago (dual-booting with Win XP), and it seems like it uses really lots of CPU power. With only Google Chrome and a Flash plug-in running, around 70-80%. With my XP I can run few heavy programs on the same time with 40% CPU usage.
Any idea what is happening here? Already happened that I had to hold the power button because it wouldn't respond (the mouse moved, few icons changed color when I moved above them - but nothing else happened).
Thanks!

What version of flash do you have installed? 10.1 is out and the CPU usage is definitely lower, plus you can enable Hardware Acceleration.

You can get it from Synaptic (just search for flash) or download directly from Adobe.

Cheers,

Hank

rogare
August 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
I will try and report.