PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 Live CD failure

colintivy
August 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hi Folks,

Just got back to attempting to play with 10.04 using its Live CD. It consistently goes to the "Log In" page and not the Live CD page on running. I saw a Post specifying a F key to be pressed on boot-up to get to the desired starting point some time ago, but did not write it down. Some advice did say press Any Key but this does not seem to do the job. Tried to use the search function here but no joy. Can anyone remember which F key?

Note that as a check, I tried to use 9.10 Live CD and this worked fine, so it is not a machine problem.

:confused:

Rubi1200
August 23rd, 2010, 04:10 AM
Hi Folks,

Just got back to attempting to play with 10.04 using its Live CD. It consistently goes to the "Log In" page and not the Live CD page on running. I saw a Post specifying a F key to be pressed on boot-up to get to the desired starting point some time ago, but did not write it down. Some advice did say press Any Key but this does not seem to do the job. Tried to use the search function here but no joy. Can anyone remember which F key?

Note that as a check, I tried to use 9.10 Live CD and this worked fine, so it is not a machine problem.

:confused:
F6 is what you are looking for I think.

Also, I would check the MD5SUM of the CD:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Try downloading and burning at the lowest speed might also help.

colintivy
February 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hi Rubi1200

I know that time has passed on since raising this problem, I have not had time to do much about it. I have just completed the installation of 9.10 using the LiveCD which all went well (8.04 /home on new partition). I am now considering how best to upgrade to 10.04.2 which is available within Upgrade Manager. Is this likely to be the best way to go? Does it only update the bits of 9.10 that are out of date or does it start from the beginning again? I have not found a way to use my 10.04 LiveCD so the only other way is to d/l the .2 version from somewhere. Which optionwould you recommend?