View Full Version : [all variants] Shell scripting trouble

nebu
August 22nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
I want to pass the output of

grep -P "^[a-zA-Z0-9:]+\s+package" ctags_output.proc | awk '{print $1}'
to a script run.sh as its second argument ie

./run.sh pkg <argument>

what i am doing now is

grep -P "^[a-zA-Z0-9:]+\s+package" ctags_output.proc | awk '{print $1}'| xargs ./run.sh pkg

but this is not working! what am i doing wrong??

Brandon Williams
August 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
If the output from the command is just supposed to provide arguments for run.sh, there's no need to use xargs. You can just use bash command substitution.

If you want the output to provide multiple white-space separated tokens:

./run.sh pkg $(grep -P "^[a-zA-Z0-9:]+\s+package" ctags_output.proc | awk '{print $1}')

If you want one single argument, then quote the command substitution expression:

./run.sh pkg "$(grep -P "^[a-zA-Z0-9:]+\s+package" ctags_output.proc | awk '{print $1}')"

If it still doesn't work, then run your script with the -x argument to get debugging output so you can figure out what's going wrong, as in:

bash -x ./run.sh pkg $(grep -P "^[a-zA-Z0-9:]+\s+package" ctags_output.proc | awk '{print $1}')

nebu
August 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM
no.... i want every line of the output to got to a different ./run.sh so i was using the xargs!

vijayanand_sodadasi
August 22nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
If every line of output should go to separate instance of run.sh, then you can do it with a bit of shell scripting as follows:

for arg2 in $(grep -P "^[a-zA-Z0-9:]+\s+package" ctags_output.proc | awk '{print $1}')
do
./run.sh pkg $arg2
done

Brandon Williams
August 22nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
no.... i want every line of the output to got to a different ./run.sh so i was using the xargs!

Ah ... well, in that case, you should be using the '-L max-lines' option for xargs, or the for loop quoted above.

bilkay
August 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Another way:

grep -P "^[a-zA-Z0-9:]+\s+package" ctags_output.proc | awk '{print $1} | while read x
do
./run.sh pkg $x
done

David Andersson
August 22nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
Option -l to xargs will run command once for each line in the input.
Option -n1 to xargs will run command once for each word in the input.
I think any would work in this case.