PDA

View Full Version : No Steam In This Engine

Frogs Hair
August 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Looks like no steam for Linux. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/official-statement-steam-not-coming-to.html

Naiki Muliaina
August 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Again dag nabbit do we need another thread about Steam and Linux right now... ):P

Paul820
August 22nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
He said "not right now", but who knows for the future!

spoons
August 22nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Has anyone made an open-source steam-like system before now?

And yes, I know Ubuntu has repos. ;)

Naiki Muliaina
August 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
If all the people crying about steam put their heads together and spent their time developing some sort of Ubuntu Software Centre equivalent instead of posting on forums and blogs that Steam is coming to Linux of Steam we would have something so good the Windows users would be crying for a port....

Alas, I think everyone will keep wishing Steam will port...

And wow I typed that whole first paragraph without a single breath didn't I? ^^

V for Vincent
August 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
If all the people crying about steam put their heads together and spent their time developing some sort of Ubuntu Software Centre equivalent

Already planned for Maverick, isn't it?

Naiki Muliaina
August 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Selling stuff through the Ubuntu Software Centre? Quite possibly. Haven't paid much attention to what's coming up in Maverick if I am honest. Here's hoping it is, and here's hoping it will have enough games in to silence the 'Steam is coming to Linux' narfflenommers. :)

jpeddicord
August 22nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Pardon me if I sound stubborn, but:

There's no Linux version that we're working on right nowThere are a number of ways that could be interpreted:

They are not working on a Linux client at this very moment.
They were working on a client, but delayed/cancelled it.
They were never working on a client. (Hard to believe, as I had the login window running on my desktop.)

Since when has any company responded to a product leak with "oh yeah, we're working on that." Remember the initial iPhone release and leak? Apple denied the claims and sent takedown notices to several sites that posted information.

jpeddicord
August 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Selling stuff through the Ubuntu Software Centre? Quite possibly. Haven't paid much attention to what's coming up in Maverick if I am honest. Here's hoping it is, and here's hoping it will have enough games in to silence the 'Steam is coming to Linux' narfflenommers. :)

It'd be a start, but wouldn't have nearly the momentum a Steam client would. Valve has a much greater presence in the game industry, and their release of Steam for Linux would draw more attention than the already-expected Software Center store.

Naiki Muliaina
August 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Pardon me if I sound stubborn, but:

There's no Linux version that we're working on right now

There are a number of ways that could be interpreted:

Why cant people just take that and interpret it as :

There's no Linux version that we're working on right now

- and just be done with it? If Valve decide to try the idea, cool, but right now they are not.

You may be right about Steam having more oomph behind them, but the Ubuntu Software Centre changes are a start. Once that has come out, if there is a huge uptake of sales through it, then Linux users will the world over will be able to say 'Look! See! Hard numbers! Cant argue with that! (though you can bet the Likes of Naiki will! :P ) A Linux 'steam-like' client could be profitable!'.

That does not mean Steam and other company's will suddenly scramble to release stuff for Linux. It will still be a choice they need to make based on how profitable / workable it will be for them. But they will be able to make a more educated decision.

As you say, its a start. Lets make it a good one aye? :popcorn:

brucemartin
August 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM
it's official, there is no work in progress for bringing Steam to linux: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/official-statement-steam-not-coming-to.html

i'm so disappointed :frown:

Naiki Muliaina
August 22nd, 2010, 05:20 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1558481

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1558381

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1557425

Sure I saw something like this in Absolute beginners today too...

Your a tad slow matey :)

jpeddicord
August 22nd, 2010, 05:29 PM
You may be right about Steam having more oomph behind them, but the Ubuntu Software Centre changes are a start. Once that has come out, if there is a huge uptake of sales through it, then Linux users will the world over will be able to say 'Look! See! Hard numbers! Cant argue with that! (though you can bet the Likes of Naiki will! :P ) A Linux 'steam-like' client could be profitable!'.
I would absolutely love to see the Software Center store work out. And it probably will, but it'll probably take some time.

That does not mean Steam and other company's will suddenly scramble to release stuff for Linux. It will still be a choice they need to make based on how profitable / workable it will be for them. But they will be able to make a more educated decision.

As you say, its a start. Lets make it a good one aye? :popcorn:
+1. :)

Mr. Picklesworth
August 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
If all the people crying about steam put their heads together and spent their time developing some sort of Ubuntu Software Centre equivalent instead of posting on forums and blogs that Steam is coming to Linux of Steam we would have something so good the Windows users would be crying for a port....

Alas, I think everyone will keep wishing Steam will port...

And wow I typed that whole first paragraph without a single breath didn't I? ^^

It's about more than that, though. Steam is a major online store that attracts boatloads of developers. If they added Linux as a supported platform, it would make it a bit nicer for those developers to release Linux versions of their software.

I wish Doug had given a slightly more comprehensive answer. There was, at one point, without much doubt, a Linux steam thingy with a bash script that downloaded daily updates from steampowered.com, tried to run a fairly significant binary, then crashed because said significant binary never seemed to function.
(It looks like the file was later either moved, deleted in some fancy way that makes it throw 403 forbidden instead of 404, or restricted to internal use).

So, I have no reason to doubt when they say they aren't working on Steam for Linux, but I also think there's an interesting story here. It obviously existed at one point, and then it didn't. Did they poke at the idea and give up? Was one person working on it in his spare time? Did it build itself?

overdrank
August 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Threads merged.

Naiki Muliaina
August 22nd, 2010, 05:49 PM
It's about more than that, though. Steam is a major online store that attracts boatloads of developers. If they added Linux as a supported platform, it would make it a bit nicer for those developers to release Linux versions of their software.

Comes back to what I say though, if the Ubuntu Software Centre makes a splash and hard numbers can be waved around showing Linux games portals might make a profit, it would certainly make Linux a more attractive platform. If it doesn't succeed as well as we all hope, then games company's may see that and be less convinced on porting stuff to Linux...

Again, this could be Linux gamings first step as far as portals are concerned. Lets make it a good one. :)

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Comes back to what I say though, if the Ubuntu Software Centre makes a splash and hard numbers can be waved around showing Linux games portals might make a profit, it would certainly make Linux a more attractive platform. If it doesn't succeed as well as we all hope, then games company's may see that and be less convinced on porting stuff to Linux...

Again, this could be Linux gamings first step as far as portals are concerned. Lets make it a good one. :)

Except that there aren't a whole lot of games to sell in the Software Center, which is why people were hoping for Linux for steam, because it would definitely mean a port of the source engine (half-life, portal, left-4-dead, team-fortress 2, etc.)

Naiki Muliaina
August 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I know the reasons for wanting steam, but we haven't got steam, so we need to look to other things we have got or can make and make them good enough to shine.

nilarimogard
August 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
I hate this Doug guy! Why is is so hard for some people to give a clear answer? Oh well, at least Steam runs under Wine...

jpeddicord
August 23rd, 2010, 12:04 AM
I hate this Doug guy! Why is is so hard for some people to give a clear answer? Oh well, at least Steam runs under Wine...

It's Valve. They tease HL2 Episode 3 for E3 and then say nothing about it.

Hey, if you really wanted to, you could mail the CEO: gaben [at] valvesoftware.com. He's usually fairly responsive to emails, but I get the feeling everyone and their cousin have already asked.

Merk42
August 23rd, 2010, 01:57 AM
How is "We are not working on one" not a clear answer?

Seems to me that even if Gabe said "no, we are not working on one" then the delusional people would think. "Oh well he just said no because it's done". At that rate the only definitive answer would be something like "we never have and never will have any plans for a Linux version of Steam". Even then the people in denial would think "oh well, he said LINUX version, clearly Valve is working on an Ubuntu specific version"

Vakman
August 23rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
This would have been so nice. I could stop using Windows entirely, maybe some day when I no longer game. Ugh Valve...

nilarimogard
August 23rd, 2010, 01:27 PM
How is "We are not working on one" not a clear answer?

Seems to me that even if Gabe said "no, we are not working on one" then the delusional people would think. "Oh well he just said no because it's done". At that rate the only definitive answer would be something like "we never have and never will have any plans for a Linux version of Steam". Even then the people in denial would think "oh well, he said LINUX version, clearly Valve is working on an Ubuntu specific version"

But the thing is there's evidence they did work on Steam for Linux. So not working right now could mean they've just stopped the development for now but will still release Steam for Linux sometime... Or not.

It would have been nice if he said if they are planning to release it for Linux or something... anything! :(

sataris
August 23rd, 2010, 02:35 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9738928&postcount=36

Steam will come to linux when there is a justifiable amount of profits to be made.

Valve is much smaller than companies like Blizzard, who dropped all linux support and even openGL support under windows for their games because they didnt make enough money to offset the costs of having to develop cross platform and SUPPORT all the linux users who said "OMG, your game wont work with _______ distro from 5 years ago."

Until there is real money to be made. Expect nothing of the sort.

Steam on linux is Vaporware.

Called it here. Just saying. It would be great to see, but I dont think they could justify paying those devs. Most linux users who want these games likely own them for windows (through steam no less) so that alone decreases potential profits dramatically.

matthewbpt
August 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
I find it funny that Phoronix writes loads of articles saying things like "It's official, Steam for linux" or something along those lines based on questionable evidence, but when real evidence pops up to how the contrary they don't report it ... I suppose it's still early and they may yet report it.

sataris
August 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Phoronix = fud

Merk42
August 23rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
Phoronix = fud

While incorrect, I'm pretty sure the Phoronix article is the opposite of FUD

moocow1452
August 24th, 2010, 02:54 AM
So, would that be Hype, Overspeculation, and Truthiness then?

betrunkenaffe
August 24th, 2010, 06:30 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9738928&postcount=36

Called it here. Just saying. It would be great to see, but I dont think they could justify paying those devs. Most linux users who want these games likely own them for windows (through steam no less) so that alone decreases potential profits dramatically.

Quick question: When did Blizzard EVER support Linux? They release mac ports for all their games and last I looked, all Mac games require OpenGL.

If I find a good game on Linux, I have a greater tendancy to purchase said game than one on Windows. It's entirely because I prefer NOT to dual boot and will pay extra to support those that assist me in not requiring it.

murderslastcrow
August 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM
How frustrating. I guess we'll just have to keep working out the kinks in Wine, eh?

Kazade
August 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Except that there aren't a whole lot of games to sell in the Software Center

Yet. I can imagine quite a few games companies would notice a portal to 12 million desktops once paid-for apps work their way into the Software Centre.