PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What updates.installations are recommended?

Hawhaw1
August 22nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hey.
So i have Ubuntu installed, but since its just been installed im guessing there is gonna be a lot of updating/installing required?
What do you guys recommend i update or install to use Ubuntu to its max potential?

L Campbell
August 22nd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Hey.
So i have Ubuntu installed, but since its just been installed im guessing there is gonna be a lot of updating/installing required?
What do you guys recommend i update or install to use Ubuntu to its max potential?

Personally, I go to System > Administration > Update Manager and then install whatever they have to offer.

Hope this helps you.

jmfal
August 22nd, 2010, 03:11 PM
There is always going to be a big update after a fresh install, I would do a complete update first off because there may be 200 packages to update, to many to pick and choose.

As far as apps that should be installed thats up to you and how you are going to use ubuntu

Before you update, open software sources: system>administration>software sources
put a check in the first 4 boxes and uncheck the cd box
you need to check the source box if you add a ppa repo or a source repo(repository)
click other soft ware and check all the repositories, close, reload, then update

There are stickies in the multimedia/video section that may help if you want to play dvd`s or youtube
this should get you going
good luck