PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Remove the "squares effect", when minimizing a window without desktop-effects

peefonic
August 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
Hi,

is there a possibility to remove the ugly "squares"-effect, when minimizing a window by using no desktop-effects?

mcduck
August 22nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Sure.

Press Alt-F2 and run "gconf-editor". Use it to browse to apps/metacity/general, and enable the "reduced_resources"-key. The ugly animation is now gone. :)

..and so are your window contents when moving a window.. Luckily there's a way to get them back while keeping the reduced_resources mode enabled: still in gconf-editor, browse to desktop/gnome/interface and enable the "accessibility"-option.

peefonic
August 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Press Alt-F2 and run "gconf-editor". Use it to browse to apps/metacity/general, and enable the "reduced_resources"-key. The ugly animation is now gone. :)

Thanks! That worked.

..and so are your window contents when moving a window.. Luckily there's a way to get them back while keeping the reduced_resources mode enabled: still in gconf-editor, browse to desktop/gnome/interface and enable the "accessibility"-option.

I don't understand what effect this option has. Could you describe me that?

mcduck
August 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
Thanks! That worked.

I don't understand what effect this option has. Could you describe me that?

I've never noticed any other effect than that it allows window contents to be seen when moving a window instead of just a wireframe when you have the "reduced_resources" setting enabled.

You can safely toggle it on and off to see the effect and decide if you prefer enabling it or keeping it off.