PDA

View Full Version : A fine weekend wasted

Brunellus
August 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Have you ever started off on a project only to discover, at the end, that you never should have begun in the first place?

I just spent all day cobbling together spare parts from various bins around the house to build a Mythbuntu box. Finally, once I had everything put together, I tried to power the thing on.

Nothing.

Check the plugs, check the connections. Nothing. No fans, no hard drive--NOTHING. Maybe I wired the switches wrong. Pulled the new switch, wired in the old switch. STILL NOTHING.

This with a brand-new power supply, at that!

I'm thinking this motherboard is dead. Fortunately, my local computer emporium has a sale on, but I was hoping to get out of this without spending so much darn money.

Oh well.

inobe
August 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
some of us are hardware nuts, hand out the system specs, make and models ?

i have spent countless hours numerous times fiddling with switch connectors only to find out the configuration was wrong or i left the dang cmos jumper in reset position :mad:

ElSlunko
August 22nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
I tried updating my video drivers to solve one problem but it created another. Spent the whole day trying to revert back to the previous version and ran into more complications :(. So now I'm just going to reinstall which would've taken 30 minutes to begin with! Go figure.

Khakilang
August 22nd, 2010, 09:59 AM
I use to salvage computer parts when my customer don't want them and build them up. Sometime I forget to plug in the extra 4 pin power cable to the Pentiume 4 motherboard other that the usual 20 pin and wasted hours trouble shooting the motherboard before realizing the the old power supply do not have the 4 pin cable. Change to a newer power supply and it work. Damn!

Maybe you can list the spec and share it with us.

fatality_uk
August 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
Before you dive down there, does your mobo have a power LED? If so, check that. I have had a couple of mobos that I thought had gone, but it was the PSU, even a brand new one!! Just a thought.

Naiki Muliaina
August 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Yep, for me that feeling comes whenever I try to install any Linux distro except SUSE onto a 1TB Samsung Ecogreen hard drive. An exercise in frustration and time wasting that is.... ):P

Brunellus
August 24th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Tempted to mark this "SOLVED." Went out, bought a new motherboard, processor, and some RAM. Finally got my mythbuntu box up and running! All terribly exciting. Still working out the kinks, but this has been quite an experience.

amauk
August 24th, 2010, 03:12 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/success.png

athurart09
August 24th, 2010, 04:37 AM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/success.png
I like it :D

Austin25
August 24th, 2010, 05:40 AM
I like it :D
Everybody loves xkcd.

I tried updating my video drivers to solve one problem but it created another. Spent the whole day trying to revert back to the previous version and ran into more complications :(. So now I'm just going to reinstall which would've taken 30 minutes to begin with! Go figure.
I did the same thing with touchscreen drivers back with Karmic.

juancarlospaco
August 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Trouble shoot is the m ost interesting part... :)

If its a hobby you will lose money not earn it.

Brunellus
August 25th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Trouble shoot is the m ost interesting part... :)

If its a hobby you will lose money not earn it.
I've taken to telling people that it's cheaper than smoking.