PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Auto Partioning Installation Problem

ATMSTopo28
August 22nd, 2010, 01:33 AM
To whom it may concern, I'm a new user of Ubuntu and I have a question about installation and auto partitioning,

When I downloaded the 10.04 LTS ISO file on my HP Pavilion dv6000 everything went well, including making a USB thunbdrive. I booted Ubuntu from that USB drive and proceeded through the installation process until I got to the partitioning section.

When I got there, I selected the auto partitioning option so that I can dual boot with Windows 7 which is also on my machine. But about halfway through the process, the auto partitioner threw an error message at me that said the process had to be aborted.

I'm a newbie when it comes to partitioning my drive so I can tell you what I know. My hard disk has 2 partitions, one primary and one recovery partition. The primary has ~147 GB of space and the recovery ~12 GB. On the auto partitioner as well, it said there was a Vista OS along with my Win7 (remnant data from an earlier update). I don't know if that stray information from the old Vista OS caused the auto partitioner issue.

I really want to reap the benefits that Ubuntu can offer, even the booted edition of Lucid from the USB drive I'm using now is just as fast, or maybe even faster than the Win7 on my machine. I hate to experiment with partitioning with no guidance because I don't want to wipe out my other OS. Any help would be appreciated!

ATMSTopo28
August 22nd, 2010, 02:49 AM
Never mind, the auto partition worked. I have no idea what happened. Must of just been a small bug :)