PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use Mifi?

cptrohn
August 21st, 2010, 10:19 PM
Particularly Virgin mobile's Mifi hotspot they have available? I currently have DSL and can't upgrade my speed without going to Comcast or Uverse and don't really want to... (I love my Directv lol) So I was thinking of trying out Virgin's Mifi hotspot since it is also no-contract and you pretty much just pay for what you use..... I am pretty sure that it is the same technology as Sprints Mifi since they use Sprint's network... Thanks!

markp1989
August 21st, 2010, 10:22 PM
i used 3mobiles mifi (£10 per month for 1gb limit) , i only use it a few times a month, its been reliable for me.

i used it a few weeks ago in the car for 120miles to birmingham, and i had connectivity the complete journy.

however, i dont think it would be suitable for a home broadband replacement

bamabaso@gmail.com
August 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Howzit... I use the mifi device, pre-paid and all and it's great. What's more is you can get it to work on Ubuntu. I run 10.04. Besides, you can always just let it spit out a wifi connection and that will connect anything on any OS...

Great device...

You can find related posts here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543407&highlight=mifi

conundrumx
August 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM
...however, i dont think it would be suitable for a home broadband replacement

The MiFi is a great device, but not what you need.

argoz17
October 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I use Sprint aircard sometimes on my Ubuntu, it works great...Since Virgin Mobile uses the same towers it should work the same, unless you dont have any sprint towers near you. Go to the connection options on the Ubuntu menue and set up mobile device, I did it in a few seconds with no internet, its pre installed on 10.10

speedwell68
October 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
i used 3mobiles mifi (£10 per month for 1gb limit) , i only use it a few times a month, its been reliable for me.

i used it a few weeks ago in the car for 120miles to birmingham, and i had connectivity the complete journy.

however, i dont think it would be suitable for a home broadband replacement

I got my Uncle one for his touring caravan a few months back, he has it permanently fitted to the van. It works really well with any Wifi enabled device.

mmsmc
October 11th, 2011, 10:33 PM
whatever you do do not use sprint mifi