PDA

View Full Version : scared to use windows?

owners4life5
August 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM
such a silly topic,

but i.ve become so accustomed to ubuntu, that now i.m scared to even help my dad out on his XP machine.

can anyone relate, or is this even normal??

juancarlospaco
August 21st, 2010, 07:42 PM
You dont use Windows.
Windows use You!

kaldor
August 21st, 2010, 07:43 PM
No, but I hate using it when I need to help my dad. And I hate it.

He can't maintain his machine properly and won't let me touch it. He says he has no problem waiting a few minutes for firefox etc to open because "there's no rush".

kaldor
August 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM
You dont use Windows.
Windows use You!

Gotta love your posts.

barnaclebill18
August 21st, 2010, 07:48 PM
I used to love XP, and was getting pretty good with it, but since using Ubuntu about two years now, I have forgotten just about everything I used to know about XP.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I've been using Linux for about 1.5 years now and my Windows skills seriously became weakened. However, I got a job recently supporting Windows/Windows Server, so I've learned some of it back. Currently I dual boot. Using windows for my toys and Ubuntu for my serious work.

Frogs Hair
August 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM
No , I have to use XP and Vista @ school and I use Ubuntu and W7 @ home . I have not had the option of using Linux only. I do forget where the advanced settings are at times because of using 3 different versions of Windows .

owners4life5
August 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
"there's no rush"

haha hilarious

andymorton
August 21st, 2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not really scared to use it. I'm just so glad that I don't have to. Although, I help my girlfriend out whenever she has a problem with XP. The quest to persuade her to try Ubuntu continues.

andy

chriswyatt
August 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM
Scared? That's quite a strong emotion to have against an OS. :lolflag:

NightwishFan
August 21st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Not particularly. :)

Though if preferable I keep around a liveusb so I never have to.

miggols99
August 21st, 2010, 09:11 PM
When people ask me to fix their computer, it amazes me that people can wait minutes and minutes for the computer to start up, and everything is just so slow! I would hate it if my computer was that slow..

kaldor
August 21st, 2010, 09:17 PM
When people ask me to fix their computer, it amazes me that people can wait minutes and minutes for the computer to start up, and everything is just so slow! I would hate it if my computer was that slow..

Like my dad's... he just says it's because the computer is old. It's painful when he asks for help, because I have to sit through 15 minutes on average because it takes a LONG time to load and he sits there happily saying "relax, it's fine, I can use this quite well" whenever I say you shouldn't be able to time how long it takes for a right-click dialog box to pop up. He still thinks Linux is a scam because it's free (because nobody gives things away for free... Damn small town cheapos!)

owners4life5
August 21st, 2010, 09:46 PM
Forewer Windows 7

funny guy.

Scared? That's quite a strong emotion to have against an OS

i guess not completely scared... just afraid of a BSOD then getting relentlessly yelled at... lol

dagdeniz
August 21st, 2010, 09:46 PM
I don't know, I love Windows, the OS, although I don't like its mentality -want more, buy more- and MS and although I've not been using Windows recently. If Linux were the monopoly and Windows were the free one with a small group of users, I'd be using Windows now.
Hey, is another one coming? This time a Linux. I think we'll see the battle of Google and MS in the near future.

ronnielsen1
August 21st, 2010, 09:48 PM
We have a dual boot, Ubuntu and W7. I get upset if I find out any monetary transasctions happen outside of ubuntu

Originally Posted by miggols99 http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9748533#post9748533)

Yeah, not that patient myself

lisati
August 21st, 2010, 09:53 PM
I use Vista every now and again for video editing. You know, I paid good money for the software, I'm too lazy to find and learn something I like on Ubuntu that does the job, insert other "excuses" as you see fit.

I still have an XP partition lurking on one machine but I rarely boot it up these days since the machine is usually on 24/7 as an Ubuntu server.

cptrohn
August 21st, 2010, 09:57 PM
I don't know, I love Windows, the OS, although I don't like its mentality -want more, buy more- and MS and although I've not been using Windows recently. If Linux were the monopoly and Windows were the free one with a small group of users, I'd be using Windows now.
Hey, is another one coming? This time a Linux. I think we'll see the battle of Google and MS in the near future.

"I think we'll see the battle of Google and MS in the near future"

Could be....... but Google will probably face the same issues everybody else does, people are afraid of change..... I set up my aunt to dual boot windows and ubuntu because she liked it when I was using it on my laptop... but then she never used it and wanted me to take it off.... the majority of people just don't want to change. Now for me personally.... after I discovered Open Source I never looked back and have been nothing but happy with my decision to do so.. All it took was one little taste of freedom and I was hooked

evenrelation
August 21st, 2010, 10:38 PM
Not scared per se, but I get this irritating itch all over my body.

It's like someone's dropping ten thousand scorpions on my lap when I operate XP or win7.

lisati
August 21st, 2010, 10:44 PM
I feel an urge to burst into song:

An OS is an OS
of course of course ....
(Apologies to Mr Ed)

DoktorSeven
August 21st, 2010, 10:46 PM
Only when I have to use XP. I feel somewhat safer in Win7.

Still nice when I can come back and wrap up in my warm fuzzy GNU/Linux security blanket.

kamaboko
August 22nd, 2010, 01:03 AM

Sounds like you never had to work with DOS or Win 3.1. Trust me, anything is fast today compared to those days.

Legendary_Bibo
August 22nd, 2010, 01:07 AM
"I think we'll see the battle of Google and MS in the near future"

Could be....... but Google will probably face the same issues everybody else does, people are afraid of change..... I set up my aunt to dual boot windows and ubuntu because she liked it when I was using it on my laptop... but then she never used it and wanted me to take it off.... the majority of people just don't want to change. Now for me personally.... after I discovered Open Source I never looked back and have been nothing but happy with my decision to do so.. All it took was one little taste of freedom and I was hooked

Sorry, but I've seen several people do this on these forums and it's starting to bug me because when my internal voice reads something, it sounds just too odd.

*Ahem*

A period "." is used to to indicate the end of a sentence, or thought. It can also be used to add emphasis to a latency between words.

An ellipses "..." is used to designate a continuing thought. Also it only uses three dots, not two, or four, but three.

Please learn this.

To address the OP, I wouldn't say I'm scared to use Windows. Although I do miss Wobbly Windows. Also, because I've gotten used to Ubuntu I have a hard time remembering where everything is. Everything in Windows just seems illogically placed. Windows just seems different.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 22nd, 2010, 01:08 AM
I work in IT in a large company. Half of the operating systems I work with are Linux and half are Microsoft Windows. Most of the operating systems run as Virtual Machines. In the IT field, an OS is just an OS. It doesn't matter whether you personally prefer Microsoft Windows or Linux. Management and projects determine what OS they want to use, and they have legitimate reasons for their selection. If you want to keep your well paying job, you happily support both. :D

Dustin2128
August 22nd, 2010, 01:22 AM
Not scared per se, but I get this irritating itch all over my body.

It's like someone's dropping ten thousand scorpions on my lap when I operate XP or win7.
Me too.
Also agree with bibo that everything is illogically structured, kinda difficult to swap from checking web design work at home via typing "/home/dustin/page.html" to "S:/General%Use%by%All/5milliondirectories/etc." at school. Why use percentages as placeholders, why not just use quotes or underscores? And what is with assigning the drives letters? so much easier to remember /mnt/Fdrive than whatever number of drives the computer has built in.

speedwell68
August 22nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
Sounds like you never had to work with DOS or Win 3.1. Trust me, anything is fast today compared to those days.

I don't buy that at all. DOS booted as quick as can be, even on a machine with 1mb of ram and a 80186 processor. Windows 3.xx was also as quick as can be, unless you had less than 1mb of ram and had to run in Real mode.

MasterNetra
August 22nd, 2010, 01:48 AM
such a silly topic,

but i.ve become so accustomed to ubuntu, that now i.m scared to even help my dad out on his XP machine.

Windows 7 doesn't bother me. XP, while not actually scared, I dread working with it.

LinuxFox
August 22nd, 2010, 01:56 AM
Nope, mainly because I still use Windows. Mostly for my iPod, a few games, and stuff I can't do in Ubuntu. I pretty much use Ubuntu more than Windows.

TheCraneMan
August 22nd, 2010, 02:25 AM
When I first got Ubuntu I never booted up to it, always used Windows 7, but now with Wine running on Ubuntu and only a few applications that can't be ported I almost never boot up to Windows. You soon realize how many more options Ubuntu has, how much better it is, and how much Windows sucks! Haha if you need anything just post it in a new thread and we"ll help you just remember "Control Panel"!!!!!!!! Lol Good luck

Giant Speck
August 22nd, 2010, 02:33 AM
It's an operating system, not a piranha.

Legendary_Bibo
August 22nd, 2010, 02:35 AM
Me too.
Also agree with bibo that everything is illogically structured, kinda difficult to swap from checking web design work at home via typing "/home/dustin/page.html" to "S:/General%Use%by%All/5milliondirectories/etc." at school. Why use percentages as placeholders, why not just use quotes or underscores? And what is with assigning the drives letters? so much easier to remember /mnt/Fdrive than whatever number of drives the computer has built in.

Yeah when I go through my files, I have to go through 3-4 levels IF I start from my main filesystem. Any extra levels is because of how I organized some of my files.

I got tracker+Deskbar so that I could find a file in case if I forgot where it was like what the search thing on windows was used for. I don't really need it unless I need to find a configuration file or something, but I still use it to find a certain song straight from my desktop.

Sometimes if I want to get to a file really fast I'll just type "~/name_of_file/path_to_file" in the terminal. Easy Peasy. I tried opening files through the DOS thing a few times. I got lucky and got it to open my Music folder once. The paths were just too long to remember even for my stuff.

schauerlich
August 22nd, 2010, 02:38 AM
It's an operating system, not a piranha.

Have you seen that default background?

http://grab.by/grabs/52fba0118c9cf1d002e2ea574c700045.png

Scary.

Legendary_Bibo
August 22nd, 2010, 03:20 AM
Have you seen that default background?

http://grab.by/grabs/52fba0118c9cf1d002e2ea574c700045.png

Scary.

That's a beta fish. They're the new goldfish, just cooler looking.

KiwiNZ
August 22nd, 2010, 03:28 AM
To see this thread title on this Forum is embarrassing ](*,):rolleyes:

Legendary_Bibo
August 22nd, 2010, 03:33 AM
To see this thread title on this Forum is embarrassing ](*,):rolleyes:

Oh you! :D

witeshark17
August 22nd, 2010, 03:53 AM
There are no windows in my house... but I still have to help others like my sister who has some in hers... Just over the phone though as she lives pretty far away. :lolflag:

schauerlich
August 22nd, 2010, 04:41 AM
That's a beta fish. They're the new goldfish, just cooler looking.

Fish + Windows = Deadly Piranha. My logic is irrefutable.

Austin25
August 22nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
You don't get scared, you get mad.

inobe
August 22nd, 2010, 04:47 AM
such a silly topic,

scared ?

i don't think your scared, you just don't want to deal with the rubbish, or same old thing, this is normal' however to fear it is abnormal unless you've been traumatized somehow :-k

lisati
August 22nd, 2010, 04:52 AM
There are no windows in my house...
We have windows in ours, and most of them have curtains. :D

Austin25
August 22nd, 2010, 04:54 AM
Also, facepalming is common among trying Windows again.

inobe
August 22nd, 2010, 05:02 AM
Also, facepalming is common among trying Windows again.

windows is actually quite nice to use if one has the patience and the knowledge to tweak and secure it, but to try and fix it for someone for free is agonizing.

as i said, no fear involved, just sick of it.

Usabent
August 22nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Ubuntu is brainwashing people that use to like xp/vista! This is why you dual boot

Legendary_Bibo
August 22nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
Ubuntu is brainwashing people that use to like xp/vista! This is why you dual boot

I never liked Vista, I had nothing but BSODs from day one. XP was fine, so is Win7, but I think most people can agree Vista had a lot of issues.

Also I don't dual boot because Vista did the whole honorable samurai suicide thing when it realized it was a disgrace of an OS. I thought I would miss it, but so far so good.

CharlesA
August 22nd, 2010, 06:46 AM
Only thing that really pisses me off about Vista were that menufactures made really bad drivers for it hardware.

owners4life5
August 22nd, 2010, 08:23 AM
yeah i did "word it wrong"

i.m not scared... it just annoys me that my dad is ignorant enough to wait a minute for CHROME to start. (no fanboy-ness intended). he gets irritated because when he clicks 9458 times, the computer is still frozen.

Khakilang
August 22nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Window don't scare me. I just whip out my Linux CD and wipe out the damn thing.

NightwishFan
August 22nd, 2010, 09:27 AM

:lolflag: Always pure gold.

sikander3786
August 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
Windows used to scare me some time ago but I broke all the Windows. Now I haven't got a single, only doors..... Labelled Ubuntu.....

slooksterpsv
August 22nd, 2010, 09:56 AM
I hate using windows, I get so bored, so yeah it's normal. After using Ubuntu and all of its nifty features, the speed, etc. its hard to use Windows. Right now I reformatted my nieces netbook and put XP on it - the machine I had XP on, went kaput (psu shot the mobo out), so I figure lets get a better os on her netbook than Vista.

I'm still bored even after getting it all setup, drivers, av, etc. I want my Linux back :(. Which I may be doing when I attempt to reboot, I think diskpart (when trying to create a bootable flash drive) may have made Windows 7 unbootable even though I didn't touch the drive win 7 is on.

ronnielsen1
August 22nd, 2010, 11:01 AM
:lolflag:

smellyman
August 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
My wife doesn't like using Linux and I always have it booted into Ubuntu.

She had to reboot into Windows the other day and got frustrated with the poor performance with Windows compared to Ubuntu.

She rebooted into Ubuntu!!!

victory.

Giant Speck
August 22nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
My wife doesn't like using Linux and I always have it booted into Ubuntu.

She had to reboot into Windows the other day and got frustrated with the poor performance with Windows compared to Ubuntu.

She rebooted into Ubuntu!!!

victory.

Good news, everyone! The brainwashing is complete!

/sarcasm

Sporkman
August 22nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
He still thinks Linux is a scam because it's free (because nobody gives things away for free... Damn small town cheapos!)

:lol:

Tell him it costs $50.

kaldor
August 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM

Tell him it costs $50.

Funny, because he asked if it would be beneficial to buy me a copy of RHEL for school when I mentioned it had a pricetag.

Him: But how can it be good if everyone gives it away for free?
Me: Well, RedHat charges for it.
Him: Why?
Me: Support and stability
Him: Would it be beneficial for me to buy you a copy for school?
Me: No.

schauerlich
August 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM
Good news, everyone!

http://grab.by/grabs/f7c8754cdc877d6fe9d2e37ffaba57a3.png

lisati
August 22nd, 2010, 06:30 PM
I never liked Vista, I had nothing but BSODs from day one. XP was fine, so is Win7, but I think most people can agree Vista had a lot of issues.

Also I don't dual boot because Vista did the whole honorable samurai suicide thing when it realized it was a disgrace of an OS. I thought I would miss it, but so far so good.

TBH I've had more problems with XP than with Vista. Different people seem to get different mileage.

Sporkman
August 22nd, 2010, 06:46 PM
BREAKFAST.SYS halted… Cereal port not responding.

linux18
August 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM
I am scared of windows and it's all the college's fault, I was fine when they had windows xp on 2.2GHz Pentium 4 computers with 512 MB of ram, now they "upgraded" those same computers to windows 7. I'm scared, I can't tell if the computer is frozen or slow! good thing I always have a puppy linux 5 livecd with me.

Spice Weasel
August 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
I'm terrified of the blue screen of death, seriously. :-|

Sporkman
August 22nd, 2010, 07:11 PM
I'm terrified of the blue screen of death, seriously. :-|

Fear leads to the dark side.

Spice Weasel
August 22nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Fear leads to the dark side.

Which dark side is this? :p

Austin25
August 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Which dark side is this? :p
Bill Gates's side.

Spice Weasel
August 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
It's a good thing that Bill Gates is retired then. :lolflag:

slooksterpsv
August 22nd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Bill Gates's side.

Steve Ballmer's side. Now that's scary.

Austin25
August 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM
It's a good thing that Bill Gates is retired then. :lolflag:
Oh, right I forgot.

badbradmx
August 22nd, 2010, 08:18 PM

Tell him it costs $50.

exactly what i was thinking when i read that post, they charge for it now so get that overpriced junk off and replace it with the now CHEAPER not free alternative.

after installing come clean and say "haha you bought the lies and i bought a bought a couple new games with the money"

KiwiNZ
August 22nd, 2010, 09:01 PM
Someone please take the pain of this embarrassing thread away ](*,)

And don't even associate it with The Dark Side ....

HeadHunter00
August 22nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Bill Gates's side.
:lolflag: Although, I don't have anything against Gates. Change that to Ballmer's side.

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 22nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
such a silly topic,

Windows is my favorite gaming platform. Out side of that I use some version of linux for everything else. I don't fear windows, just use it for what it is useful to me for. Linux is just easier for me to maintain /shrug, for some people Windows or OSX is easier to maintain.

smellyman
August 23rd, 2010, 12:43 AM
Good news, everyone! The brainwashing is complete!

/sarcasm
???

Jesus_Valdez
August 23rd, 2010, 01:00 AM
I double boot into Windows 7 for several reason, I also have a XP VM.

I like the "crystal" look, I miss that when I'm confronted with Gnome and the Win 98 look.

Nick_Jinn
August 23rd, 2010, 01:26 AM
Sometimes its faster to fix windows from a live session of Knoppix instead of actually logging into windows.....maybe log in via virtualbox or just run anti-virus or delete registry or run defrag from linux.....it will go faster than trying to use windows directly.

Sometimes its easier and faster to just do a clean install, save your files and favorite apps.....again, from live linux session, then install windows again. At least you can get up while you are waiting rather than each step taking 15 minutes. Its maddening.

People talk about not seeing performance decline in windows....sure, hiding behind a firewall with the security cranked up, always remembering to defragment, using proxies and being ubber cautious about what you download and what sites you visit....scanning things before opening them....Who wants to do that? I dont. Id rather just use linux and do what I want when I want.

b110datto
August 23rd, 2010, 01:49 AM
I do find myself a little 'scared' that I am not keeping up to date with whats happening on the Windows side of the fence. I know someone is going to ask me a technical question about windows 7 or server 2008 & I wont have a clue.
Sometimes I turn away friends & family who need help, I just say 'Sorry I havn't used windows for 3 years & wouldn't have a clue how to fix that now, But if you get REALLY stuck, come see me & we will put Linux on it for you'

owners4life5
August 23rd, 2010, 03:27 AM
i guess i.m just scared because of the fact it.s my dad.s important files on his computer... not mine. lol

linux18
August 23rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
I do find myself a little 'scared' that I am not keeping up to date with whats happening on the Windows side of the fence. I know someone is going to ask me a technical question about windows 7 or server 2008 & I wont have a clue.

XKCD to the rescue: http://xkcd.com/627/

Sometimes its faster to fix windows from a live session of Knoppix instead of actually logging into windows.....maybe log in via virtualbox or just run anti-virus or delete registry or run defrag from linux.....it will go faster than trying to use windows directly.
I would really like to know how to defrag windows from linux, the college windows 7 computers were deepfreezed at 48% fragmentation and I wan't to eventually be able to log on without giving up (if you can call it that) and using a live cd of puppy linux

Giant Speck
August 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
Someone please take the pain of this embarrassing thread away ](*,)

And don't even associate it with The Dark Side ....

Did you happen to forget that you're an administrator?

NightwishFan
August 23rd, 2010, 06:15 AM
May the source be with you. Do not be seduced by the Dark Side of the Source.

(TM and Copyright 2009, samjh) http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7396596&postcount=24

Anyway.. I think the discussion (however painful) he is unable to take action as it does not violate the CoC?

Legendary_Bibo
August 23rd, 2010, 06:41 AM
Hello guys i am not satisfied with this things coz windows is the way you can do work easy and better then other sources. If we think about these activities windows really help us web design (http://www.comnez.com/), website development (http://www.comnez.com/), CMS websites (http://www.comnez.com/), CMS based websites (http://www.comnez.com/), Joomla Development (http://www.comnez.com/), website design and development (http://www.comnez.com/)

Yeah but Windows is destroying your grammar, spelling, and cognitive skills.

Giant Speck
August 23rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Yeah but Windows is destroying your grammar, spelling, and cognitive skills.

lrn2recognizespam?

NightwishFan
August 23rd, 2010, 06:44 AM
Hello guys i am not satisfied with this things coz windows is the way you can do work easy and better then other sources. If we think about these activities windows really help us web design (http://www.comnez.com/), website development (http://www.comnez.com/), CMS websites (http://www.comnez.com/), CMS based websites (http://www.comnez.com/), Joomla Development (http://www.comnez.com/), website design and development (http://www.comnez.com/)

To be honest, when your first post is to troll with advertising in the sig..

KiwiNZ
August 23rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
Now that the Spam has hit the fan

Its time to close the window