PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Win 7 - No Wubildr - not on C drive

AlanCFA
August 21st, 2010, 05:04 PM
I recently installed Windows 7 on my "C" drive and decided to install Ubuntu. I used the Windows Installation version, rather than burning it to a cd.

When I installed, I chose to install Ubuntu on a separate physical drive. It is now on my "J" drive.

When I boot and choose Ubuntu, I get the following:
Try hd(0,0): NTFS5: No wubildr
Try hd(0,1):

The second line is as shown - nothing appears after the colon. The keyboard does not work, I cannot hit the tab key to get additional partition info or even use ctrl+alt+del to reboot; I need to hit the reboot key on the computer to do that.

wubildr and wubldr.mbr are installed on my C drive. Also, on my J drive, under this folder
J:\ubuntu\winboot
is wubildr, wubldr.mbr, and wubldr.cfg

Is the resolution simply to copy those wubldr files to the root of the J drive?
Is the fix more complicated?
Or does Ubuntu need to be run on the same drive as Windows? (i.e. uninstall/reinstall)

System info: Intel CPU E6700 2.67mhx, 4 GB RAM, 4 internal and 1 external drive.
The drive to which I am installing Ubuntu was empty with a 320gb capacity. The C drive where Windows 7 resides is 500gb with about 150gb used. Both Win 7 and Ubuntu are 64-bit

Please advise.
Thanks,
Alan

dino99
August 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM
if you want to really try ubuntu, better to make a real install, follow this little help:

prepare your hdd first:

mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

note: wubi is not designed to work with anyway