PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Worrying hard drive icon - am I in trouble?

jayemee
August 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hey hey all,

This is either going to be a really easy question to answer, or a real humdinger. So here's the background...

I had, in this PC, one IDE HDD that on which I have lucid installed, and then one 1TB SATA HDD for storage. Thinking I needed more backups (after having TWO externals die on me recently - though I think I'll save them for another thread later) I bought 3 more 1TB SATA HDDs, thinking I'll use 2 as my actual storage, then rsync to back up automatically onto the other two, then syphon data off later for backing up elsewhere.

I've got all 4 drives up and running OK (named TB1 to 4), then copied all of my data onto 2 of them (TB3 and TB4), but then I noticed that TB4 had different icons to the rest of my drives. Getting a bit worried, I thought I'd copy all of the data from 4 to 1, in case 4 was dodgy, but now 1 has the same icon troubles - in my places menu I get a box with a red crossed circle, and on my desktop I get a text icon instead of the drive icon (see pic).

http://ubuntuone.com/p/DQt/ (as you can see the other 2 drives look fine)

They both seem to be working ok, but after having so many drives fail this has got me really paranoid. I don't know ubuntu well enough to know what diagnostics or whatever I should be running (if any).

As ever, any help would be much appreciated.

dino99
August 21st, 2010, 06:24 PM
install mountmanager to deal with partitions and devices: set your prefs into: system admin mountmanager

jayemee
August 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Ahh thanks for speedy reply. I've got mountmanager up and running (and this seems like a really useful program, wish I'd known about this before!), but I don't see anything that indicates that these two drives are in any way different to the other two with the normal icons.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a prefs option to set as admin.

Edit: OK, so I searched all of the menus, but I couldn't find any differences between the drives with the normal icons and those with the funny icons, or anything that might indicate a problem or reason for different icons. Thinking it might be due to a property of one of the files I copied from TB4 to 1, I deleted all the files on 1 that I'd copied over, but TB1 still has the bad icons.

I'm really at a loss, and quite put out - this is supposed to be the start of my backing up and storage solution, and it's already on shaky ground :s

jayemee
August 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Sorry to bump, but this is still worrying me, and I'm sure someone out there must know something?