PDA

View Full Version : [LIFE] Master or Job? Tough decision :/

markinf
August 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM
Hi guys,

I'm currently on a dillema. I'm finishing my Computer Science course and I have receive invites for both Master and Jobs. But I can't decide!!

I like to work @ cool technologies, not like on boring system (like office apps), i.e., I like to work with modern stuff and I like to make stuff that works (impact ppl). And this matches both research and some IT jobs. Some jobs have really cool stuff going on that outrange research, while research usually are not tied to technology they have some cool stuff also. What should I do? I've puted a list that I found about these two options.

Master / Academic:

Mostly new knowledge (not tech)
Worst salary first (financial help guarantee)
Safer job later

Job:

Mostly tech (if cool job)
Higher salary first
Higher chance to be fired

PS: I live in Brazil :)

cespinal
August 21st, 2010, 03:25 PM
First...lucky you for having job offers at thesecritical times

For the reasons stated by yourself, a Master's seems to be the way to go, implying (oh god...>implying), that you have the money to go for it. Also, a Master's course will last 12 or 24 months depending in the programme so it is not like you will miss half of your life dedicated to studies.

I am little biased by the way. I just finished my Master's and I don't regret it for a single second. I finally feel I know something useful and that I am a worthy professional. Job offers have also came in when I spent the last 12 months going completely ignored.

I am now in the same situation as you, but with a PhD...This time I think I'm keeping the job offers.

markinf
August 21st, 2010, 03:28 PM
@cespinal

The cool thing is that here in Brazil we receive almost guarantee financial help for master. :)

cespinal
August 21st, 2010, 03:47 PM
@cespinal

The cool thing is that here in Brazil we receive almost guarantee financial help for master. :)

Then go for it..... In these days we all have to make HUGE efforts to stay competitive.. I know it sounds like a cliche from the human resources industry, but it really works that way.

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
August 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM
Master... especially with almost guaranteed help paying for it.

markinf
August 21st, 2010, 06:18 PM
:3, I think that the only problem with master is that if I go for it than I would definitely do a PhD.

Thats about 6 years at least (2 Master + 4 PhD).

bunburya
August 21st, 2010, 06:29 PM
I would say do some research into your industry to find out how important a masters is. In some areas it's essential to have some kind of post-grad qualification if you want to keep a job and advance up the career chain but in other lines of work it's not as important. Speaking for myself, I would like to do a masters but if I had an offer of a secure, well-paying job then I would be very tempted to take that instead. But then that's because having a masters isn't really that important in the area I'm planning on going into.

Another thing is, can you just defer acceptance of the job offer, or if you do a masters is that offer gone for good? Because if it's gone for good you really have to consider whether you're likely to get so lucky in the future. Is there no way you could accept the job and do a masters part-time?

phrostbyte
August 21st, 2010, 06:39 PM
IMO, if you got job offers for good job doing interesting stuff. Then I would take that.

If you only got boring LoB / business app type offers from Innotek type companies, then I would go for the Masters.

So it depends on the quality of the job really. IMO It's pretty easy to get a "job", but not really not as easy as you think to get a good job that you'd enjoy doing.

pwnst*r
August 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM

^This.

grief -l
August 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM
If you even need to think about it you're probably not masters' material - so take the job.

schtufbox
August 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM
Have to agree with this :)

Sin@Sin-Sacrifice
August 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
If you even need to think about it you're probably not masters' material - so take the job.

Great way to pull someone's potential to almost nill. Why would you plant a seed that is likely to overwhelm the whole garden?

bunburya
August 22nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Lol, yeah masters are only for people who don't think... :rolleyes:

drawkcab
August 22nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
The MA is a no-brainer if you have financial aid and a couple years to complete it. It's not just the degree that helps you, but the professors and institutions themselves open up new avenues to employment.

I have a BA, MA and finishing my Ph.D while out in the worforce. All of my jobs have come from the connections I made at these three schools. The more connections you have, the better off you'll be.