PDA

View Full Version : Facebook fails to open in Windows - Opens in Ubuntu

madmax.santana
August 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
We are behind a proxy server. Facebook used to be banned for all connections inside the organization, but recently we convinced the IT officials to allow it from the server.
For almost half a year now, Facebook had been running fine on my PC until two, three days back.

And then it started to say access denied. I went to the IT department to know if they had banned it again. But they denied it and said that we might have some problem with the server but we have not blocked any social networking website recently.

And I came back to my room in the hostel, in the evening. Started up Ubuntu, and tried Facebook... Facebook was there, fine, without an indication of any sort of problem.
And then I went to my neighboring room and asked my fella there if Facebook was working on his PC. He uses Windows, and Facebook = Access Denied... :O

At dinner I asked many of my hostel-mates and they all agreed that Facebook wasn't working on their PCs. Incidentally, there are only two or three fellas including "yours truly" who use Linux in the whole hostel. One of my other pals who use Linux said they didn't even know that Facebook was having some trouble and it has bee running fine on their PCs. :D

And this is not the case with only Facebook, many other websites like Youtube and even the website of our own organization display the same message when a Windows machine tries to access them. :P

I came back to my room and grinned with a totally mean visage to my roommate and said: "See, Ubuntu includes the ultimate proxy-bypass program..." Poor fella fell for it and installed Ubuntu yesterday. ;)

Anyway, my best bet is, our Server, which runs on Windows Server, might have been infected (which is sooooo common for any Windows installation) and it is showing this bizarre attitude towards Windows based clients and a more lenient attitude towards Linux machines... (Maybe some Linux geek wrote that worm ;))

Swagman
August 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
You do realise that you have now become his first port of call for all his nix problems.

That can be a hard cross to bear particularly when you bang up against an issue you're not too sure about.

Primefalcon
August 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM
You do realise that you have now become his first port of call for all his nix problems.

That can be a hard cross to bear particularly when you bang up against an issue you're not too sure about.
Actualy I was refusing to install Ubuntu on brother in law and wives computers thinking that same thing.....

I eventually caved and and installed..... Brother in law has said a few times now he hasn't had a single issue under Buntu........ Now this guy is smart, he's just not a computer person like a lot of us here.... I am not sure he even knows what Linux is..... but I have had 0 tech calls in almost 2 years, and before he was calling me every second day....

for people who just surf and check email, Ubuntu and Linux in general really is far more stable and issue free.... is only for people who play with things that tend to break them more often

madmax.santana
August 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM

Will be more than happy to take that position, Sir!