PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] running applications

Souptik
August 21st, 2010, 10:05 AM
I am quite new to linux. Can anyone please tell me how to run applications in linux............
for example if i want to run 7zip from the terminal???:D

alphacrucis2
August 21st, 2010, 10:36 AM
I am quite new to linux. Can anyone please tell me how to run applications in linux............
for example if i want to run 7zip from the terminal???:D

If the 7zip executable is in the path being used by bash then just type 7zip followed by any arguments. If you just want to run a command or program that is in the current directory then precede it with ./

Vrroom
August 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM
You will find launchers in applications menu on top left corner of the screen.
Also press alt+f2 and type 7zip to launch it.
Another way is to right click any archive and select 'open with'. Then select 7zip from the list.

Souptik
August 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM
If the 7zip executable is in the path being used by bash then just type 7zip followed by any arguments. If you just want to run a command or program that is in the current directory then precede it with ./

Thanks for responding so fast.
But I see that there are still some problems with 7zip.... lucid doesn't seem to detect it though it is installed.
Please refer to the attachments.

Souptik
August 21st, 2010, 07:27 PM
You will find launchers in applications menu on top left corner of the screen.
Also press alt+f2 and type 7zip to launch it.
Another way is to right click any archive and select 'open with'. Then select 7zip from the list.
Actually, 7zip is not there in any launcher in applications....
Also..... after I give the command using Alt+F2 the dialog box just disappears without any result... could you help me with it?

Also I couldn't understand what you meant by 'Another way is to right click any archive and select 'open with'. Then select 7zip from the list.' Would you please explain it?

dagdeniz
August 21st, 2010, 07:48 PM
man 7z
man 7za

looks like:
7z x /path/to/file.7z /path/to/whereyou'llextract
7z a /path/to/file.7z /path/to/whatyou'lladd

kroq-gar78
August 21st, 2010, 11:24 PM
Actually, 7zip is not there in any launcher in applications....
Also..... after I give the command using Alt+F2 the dialog box just disappears without any result... could you help me with it?

Also I couldn't understand what you meant by 'Another way is to right click any archive and select 'open with'. Then select 7zip from the list.' Would you please explain it?
i'm pretty sure that the 7zip for linux is command line only (terminal), that's why it doesn't do anything when you use alt+f2. You need to do

7z <arguments> <file>

the argument to extract Is "x" (no quotes)

7z --help
should tell you all the other arguments

davdo2004
August 22nd, 2010, 10:44 AM
Why are you making it so hard for yourself ?
If you have 7zip and also rar and unrar from repositorys installed, then all you have to do is right click on your rar file and select extract here and the archive manager will do the rest.