PDA

View Full Version : reduce Power (ACPI)

woutervddn
August 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM
hi,
I have an acer aspire 7735ZG and I really want to have linux as only OS. But there are two reasons why I can't at the moment.

The first reason is that I use a lot of adobe programs as well as autocad and inventor. But that would be solvable by just running them in a vm.

Second reason is that my power consumption lays way to high. I have installed powertop and my consumption is never below 20W. This really sucks because it reduces my battery lifetime to little over an hour. in windows with the acer powersmart pushed I can get to almost three hours. So I was thinking how I could solve this. I'm sure I can get my consumption down with compiling my own kernel and a bunch of other things, but I don't want this to become a whole bunch of work.

Yesterday I came along the website of NXTOP and I was thinking, isn't there a hypervisor that would allow you to manage your acpi setting good enough to get my consumption to drop below 20W ?

So basically I'm searching for a very thing hypervisor layer that would reduce my power consumption and that allows me to run linux in such a way I don't even notice the hypervisor is there. (or if somebody else has an idea about reducing power on laptops,, feel free..)

wouter