PDA

View Full Version : Upset of the UK

old_dog
August 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM
Does anybody know how I can bring to the attention of Hunter Skipworth of the Daily Telegraph "Ubuntu Linux". In an article today he says and I quote:-
"Linux...Definitely the hardest operating system to learn but also the most formidably powerful etc. etc. However it is really only for experts."

I have introduced it to my Pub Landlord(Couldn't cope with Windows) reckons it is the bees knees, his mum wants to install it as well as it is more intuitive! The local builder has just installed it.....I am spreading the word.
Why do these people still peddle these old cliches about linux

Rant over
Cheers

Khakilang
August 21st, 2010, 09:21 AM
Get a copy of Linux Format magazine its a UK publisher and show it to him.

ronnielsen1
August 21st, 2010, 09:31 AM
Usually theu have a option for replies at the bottom of the article. It couldn't have hurt to post a link to the article

schtufbox
August 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM
I think the mistake here was reading the Daily Telegraph :)

sanderella
August 21st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Yes, you should write to him and fairly criticise his article.

old_dog
August 21st, 2010, 11:09 AM
I did try to find the guy on Facebook, I also went to the Telegraph website Technology blog.....But it would appear you can only comment on their threads, as opposed to create your own. As someone else said it is probably my own fault for reading the Telegraph. I will defend their sports coverage and crossword though. Getting it of my chest on here has been cathartic

kaldor
August 21st, 2010, 11:14 AM
Kinda like when a friend told me "I rather not type in codes to bring up Firefox" and "I'd rather have a desktop than an MS-DOS prompt"

philinux
August 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Does anybody know how I can bring to the attention of Hunter Skipworth of the Daily Telegraph "Ubuntu Linux". In an article today he says and I quote:-
"Linux...Definitely the hardest operating system to learn but also the most formidably powerful etc. etc. However it is really only for experts."

I have introduced it to my Pub Landlord(Couldn't cope with Windows) reckons it is the bees knees, his mum wants to install it as well as it is more intuitive! The local builder has just installed it.....I am spreading the word.

Rant over
Cheers

http://twitter.com/Hunterskipworth

Spice Weasel
August 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Because Linux compiled from scratch for your needs is much more powerful than standard Ubuntu. (ie Gentoo)

NCLI
August 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Because Linux compiled from scratch for your needs is much more powerful than standard Ubuntu. (ie Gentoo)

How so?

No, really. I've heard many people make the claim, but what exactly makes Gentoo more powerful than Ubuntu?

ssam
August 21st, 2010, 02:58 PM
most news papers will publish letters. you can probably find his email address.

Iowan
August 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
How so?Topic for a separate thread (ie. off-topic here... ;))

bunburya
August 21st, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'd be curious to know which distro he was using. Given that by far the most well-known distro to the general population is Ubuntu and Ubuntu is extremely intuitive and easy to use, there is really no excuse for trying but failing to work it. I could understand if he picked up Gentoo or Linux From Scratch to test out but that's less likely than trying out Ubuntu.

That said, it is the Daily Telegraph.

MCVenom
August 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM
So, is the Daily Telegraph kinda like the US's Fox News or National Inquirer? :P

Delvien
August 21st, 2010, 07:01 PM
How so?

No, really. I've heard many people make the claim, but what exactly makes Gentoo more powerful than Ubuntu?

Because if you compile it yourself, from scratch, you pick and chose what packages are included. Instead of including everything. Support for this HW, support for that, including packages just in case you want to use X Y Z A B and C.

Pretty much it's like buying a barebone PC, just the basics and you can build on that.

It's faster, but unless you are a power user, it doesn't really matter.

bunburya
August 21st, 2010, 07:24 PM
So, is the Daily Telegraph kinda like the US's Fox News or National Inquirer? :P
Yup. Wouldn't quite be National Inquirer level but Fox News is a good comparison.

sydbat
August 21st, 2010, 07:58 PM

Yup. Wouldn't quite be National Inquirer level but Fox News is a good comparison.That's because the National Enquirer holds to higher journalism standards!

sudoer541
August 22nd, 2010, 05:15 AM
Why do you guys/gals care about his opinion?

Would you criticize me if I said "dinosaurs never existed"?

jroa
August 22nd, 2010, 05:26 AM

Yes.

elricscripts
August 23rd, 2010, 04:14 PM

I think journalists should do some research before forming an opinion. Just stating random untruths is not a practice we should accept from people who are responsible for getting information to others.

Rahbee Kannuhn
August 23rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
I think journalists should do some research before forming an opinion. Just stating random untruths is not a practice we should accept from people who are responsible for getting information to others.
Journalism is an "ism", and it is generally for profit. To keep getting paid a journalist must either "blow the lid off" something, or troll, whichever keeps readership up and causes people to talk about their articles.

After looking at Hunter's tweets, I'd say he probably falls most generally in the latter category and not the former, blowing the lid off things requires lots of hard work and research, luck, and perseverance; trolling just requires knee jerk inflammatory remarks.

P.S. Enjoy my hypocrisy.

chips24
August 23rd, 2010, 05:37 PM

Rant over
Cheers

they should do some research before making opinions about anything.

Shining Arcanine
August 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Yup. Wouldn't quite be National Inquirer level but Fox News is a good comparison.

I did not know that they were on television. Is the channel available over the internet?

mick222
August 23rd, 2010, 06:44 PM
I think the mistake here was reading the Daily Telegraph
Read the Scottish daily record the small tech column is very linux and open source friendly.

bunburya
August 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM
I did not know that they were on television. Is the channel available over the internet?
It's not on television. Are you being sarcastic?

x-shaney-x
August 23rd, 2010, 06:55 PM
It's just someone's opinion and nothing more really.
If the author of the article stated that linux is much more friendly and advanced and windows is for noobie trogs who don't know the difference between a lighter and a usb stick would it bother you?

And like most things, it's all relative.
Until a month ago I hadn't used a windows OS for several years and when I did use windows 7 last month I didn't know where I was and doing the simplest thing seemed so complicated.

It's all down to what you are used to.

Simian Man
August 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
The article seems more an over-simplification of the truth (which is the norm in journalism especially with technology), than an outright falsehood. For many uses ie dealing with common software and devices, Linux IS harder to use than Windows. For others uses, Linux is easy.