PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External harddrive install question

mreumlation
August 21st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Ok so I'm sick of windows (who isn't) and I really like ubuntu. I even have a persistent install on a 2GB flashdrive. Let's face it, 1GB isn't enough space. We have a 500GB seagate external harddrive from when I got a virus on our computer. ( I don't understand why it's 500GB, or computer has barely more than 200) So I might as well put it to use. My dad has admin rights on vista and a firewall so I can't do ANYTHING. A 15 year old tech savvy kid can't live like that. I'm currently learning c++ and I need to experiment with things.

So I would be installing it right now but I have a question. I have seen that you take out the internal harddrive as a precaution. Do I NEED to do that. If I don't HAVE too, then I really don't want to. Is if really necessary? If I don't take it out what are the problems that can arise? What possibly can happen to the MBR?

Like I said I'm savvy in this kind of stuff and I know what to do, I just need reassurance. Thanks for your help.

Oh by the way it's lucid lynx and I have an HP pavilion desktop.

kahnoie
August 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hi there,
You can start with popping in an Ubuntu cd on your computer and booting into ubuntu rite away. There is no need to install Ubuntu on the hard drive.
now connect your external HDD and you can save whatever files, you want to save on your portable HDD.
Hope this helps.
Alternate is to use startup disk creator and save the image on your external HDD and when you boot your computer, have your BIOS preference to boot from the external HDD. This way, you will aways be able to save the customizations you make on your version of Ubuntu.

mreumlation
August 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM
I basically already have that >.< I have a persistent (saves changes and downloads) install on my usb flashdrive.

How could I mount the ehdd and use that as my main place for storage?