PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Wifi gone after installing KDE

ALF102
August 21st, 2010, 04:38 AM
Hi, I just want to try to kde plasma desktop. After I install it, I restart and log in with KDE, then I realize the wireless is disable or to be more specific it couldn't detect any. The same goes for my Gnome after I install kde. But when I remove kde, the problem is gone. Using Ubuntu 10.04.

Old *ix Geek
August 21st, 2010, 06:58 AM
That's not much to go on! How did you install KDE? Is it KDE or Kubuntu?

linux18
August 21st, 2010, 07:08 AM
nm-applet

ALF102
August 21st, 2010, 07:16 AM
Ok, I use the software centre (gnome) and install the KDE Plasma Desktop from there. Then I log out and log in with kde. BTW, I don't have KDE desktop installed right now, I have it installed but I removed it soo that I can access the internet

Old *ix Geek
August 21st, 2010, 07:31 AM
Ok, I use the software centre (gnome) and install the KDE Plasma Desktop from there. Then I log out and log in with kde.I believe the problem is that you're not installing KDE, just one of its components/features. If you actually install KDE you should be fine. From Synaptic search for KDE and then install everything that looks like part of its base. You can ignore things you don't want right now, like extra themes, and just install the basics to get KDE running properly.

ALF102
August 21st, 2010, 07:35 AM
well, when I go to software centre and look for kde, there's a package name "The KDE Plasma Workspace for Desktop and Laptop computer" the description said that it provide basic kde plasma desktop installation. Does that package work to? or I have to do it the hard way?

Oh yeah, even if I do got the installation right, then why is it that both my GNOME and KDE aren't able to connect to any wifi's or internet?

ALF102
August 21st, 2010, 07:42 AM
Ugh, I'm really sorry. What I want to say is that I found the package named "Kubuntu Plasma Desktop"