PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Flash/Java

Zirts
August 20th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Hi,

I recently decided to install all of them over, but the moment I had all of them removed, ALL of them, I chose to check how videos work. Now on Windows the Flash videos would have told me to get my self a Flash ASAP, but in Ubuntu, all the videos still work, with no performance change whatsoever too(Flash vid's are alwayz taking 100% CPU for me).

Now my question is, why do I even need to install that Flash when all the Flash apps still run without it?

tommcd
August 21st, 2010, 12:26 AM
Well, it seems odd that flash videos would work without flash. To be sure flash is uninstalled, open a terminal and run:

aptitude search flash
A "p" before a package means it is purged (i.e., not installed) An "i" before a package means it is installed.
Also, do you have the libflashplayer.so plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins or /usr/lib/firefox/plugins? If you are on 64bit Ubuntu then also look in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins or /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins if you have those directories.
And have a look at about:plugins if firefox to see if it lists the flash plugin.
Are youtube videos working for you without the flash plugin?
Did you restart firefox after removing flash?

Zirts
August 21st, 2010, 01:41 AM
v abrowser-flashblock -
v abrowser-flashgot -
pi adobe-flashplugin - Adobe Flash Player plugin version 10
v firefox-flashblock -
v firefox-flashgot -
v flashblock -
p flashgot - transitional dummy package
p flashplugin-installer - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
p flashplugin-nonfree - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer (trans
p flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound - Adobe Flash Player platform support librar
p flashrom - Identify, read, write, erase, and verify B
p flashybrid - automates use of a flash disk as the root
p m16c-flash - Flash programmer for Renesas M16C and R8C
p python-webflash - Portable flash messages for Python WSGI ap
v seamonkey-flashgot -
v thunderbird-flashgot -
p vrflash - tool to flash kernels and romdisks to Agen
p xul-ext-flashblock - mozilla extension to block Adobe Flash con
p xul-ext-flashgot - Turns every supported download manager int
v xulrunner-flashgot -

The one with the PI before the description got a aptitude remove from me just in case too, also I'm using Google Chrome and I have completly uninstalled Firefox.

But now even if the Chrome has a Flash plugin it self, my question is, should I install the Flash v.10 too or not? Will it make any bigger difference now than it did before.

tommcd
August 21st, 2010, 10:51 PM
So you removed the one in the aptitude list that said:

pi adobe-flashplugin - Adobe Flash Player plugin version 10
And the flash videos still work on Chrome?
Perhaps Chrome stores it's own flash somewhere in it's own plugin directory. I thought Chrome just used the same flash plugin from firefox though. Did you install gnash perhaps?
Anyway, if the videos play ok I would just leave it alone. If not, then reinstall flash.

Zirts
August 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
No gnash is installed, checked it now.

I guess that Google Chrome indeed does have a built-in flash then, and I'm not gonna install any other Flash programs on my PC now.

Thank you for the help.

Solved.

tommcd
August 22nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
I guess that Google Chrome indeed does have a built-in flash then, and I'm not gonna install any other Flash programs on my PC now.

Well, I finally decided to break down and google this to find out. I googled:

google chrome flash plugin
And, lo and behold, the very first link was:
http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2010/03/dev-channel-update_30.html

The Google Chrome Dev channel has been updated to 5.0.360.4 for Windows and Mac and 5.0.360.5 for Linux.
This release includes:
* An integrated Adobe Flash Player Plug-in. ...
That link was from March 2010. So I suppose the Chrome you installed must include this integrated flash.
See also:
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-09/google-chrome-bundles-adobe-flash/

I played around with Chrome for a while on my Slackware system that also has Firefox and flash installed. This was quite a while ago. As I recall, Chrome used to just link itself to Firefox's flash. This is what I thought anyway.
I always had Firefox and flash installed, so I never thought that Chrome may have it's own built in flash. It looks like it does now though. I have not been keeping up with the development of Chrome lately though.

Apparently, at one time it was necessary to manually enable flash support for Chrome on Ubuntu 9.04:
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-enable-adobes-flash-player-in-google-chrome-ubuntu-9.04

So, just out of curiosity, what version of Chrome do you have, and where did you get it from? And how did you install it on Ubuntu?

Zirts
August 22nd, 2010, 07:45 PM
I'm using: Google Chrome 5.0.375.127.

At first I used the open-source Chromium but it was missing something, don't remember what, anyway I installed the Google Chrome from Google's homepage. (Didn't find it in Ubuntu's packet manager on that time.)

Zirts