PDA

View Full Version : Android phone GPU help + the future.

waloshin
August 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I want to wait for the HTC Desire HD though it is running the Snapdragon 1ghz cpu, with the Ati graphics, though the Samsung Galaxy S is running a 1ghz Hummingbird cpu which has a way more power gpu.

So my question is would I regret getting the HTC Desire HD because of it's lower gpu? I woulnd't play any racing games or nothing like that, though my major question is will there be any Android software in the future that utilizes the GPU?

And also isn't there a 1.5ghz and maybe 2.0ghz Android phones coming out in 2011?

HeadHunter00
August 20th, 2010, 10:34 PM
A cell phone doesnt have powerful games anyways, so I think that you wont regret it, btw htc desire has 1 ghz processor as well. And yes, there will be an HTC phone: HTC Scorpion with 1.5 ghz processor(it's an android), although iphone 4 alredy has a 1.4 ghz processor. And no, there wont b any 2.0 ghz phones for some time. btw, android is optimized for cell phones, so anyhow no they dont require major horsepower.

NCLI
August 20th, 2010, 10:39 PM
A cell phone doesnt have powerful games anyways, so I think that you wont regret it, btw htc desire has 1 ghz processor as well. And yes, there will be an HTC phone: HTC Scorpion with 1.5 ghz processor(it's an android), although iphone 4 alredy has a 1.4 ghz processor. And no, there wont b any 2.0 ghz phones for some time. btw, android is optimized for cell phones, so anyhow no they dont require major horsepower.
Uh, the iPhone 4 has a 1 GHz CPU, pretty much identical to the Snapdragon.

Also, there is no ATi GPU in the Desire, nor in the Galaxy S, the CPU handles that as well.

HeadHunter00
August 20th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Uh, the iPhone 4 has a 1 GHz CPU, pretty much identical to the Snapdragon.

Also, there is no ATi GPU in the Desire, nor in the Galaxy S, the CPU handles that as well.
Oh yeah, sorry bout that. I misread the information. Its 1 ghz. All I can say is that you wont regret getting an htc desire.

Comzee
August 20th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Some things to look out for are the new ARM cortex A9 dual core CPUs coming out. Nvidia is also coming out with their Tegra 2 series, and they have official announced their coming to android phones. Right now the PowerVR GPUs are the best on the market, I really want to know how it's going to stack up against the PowerVR though.

waloshin
August 20th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I'm just worried that the newer phones will have a dedicated gpu that will help some applications run faster kinda like NVIDIA cuda. and will there be a big difference between the 1ghz snapdragon and the newer 1.5ghz?

pwnst*r
August 20th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I want to wait for the HTC Desire HD though it is running the Snapdragon 1ghz cpu, with the Ati graphics, though the Samsung Galaxy S is running a 1ghz Hummingbird cpu which has a way more power gpu.

So my question is would I regret getting the HTC Desire HD because of it's lower gpu? I woulnd't play any racing games or nothing like that, though my major question is will there be any Android software in the future that utilizes the GPU?

And also isn't there a 1.5ghz and maybe 2.0ghz Android phones coming out in 2011?

You won't notice it navigating the UI if that's what you're questioning also. That being said, any racing or FPS games definitely will run better on the Galaxy S.

Comzee
August 20th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I'm just worried that the newer phones will have a dedicated gpu that will help some applications run faster kinda like NVIDIA cuda. and will there be a big difference between the 1ghz snapdragon and the newer 1.5ghz?

I know the tegra 2 is coming with the A9 in a SOC (system on chip)

Right now ARM is the only CPU manufacturer making chips for phones (I could be wrong).

Every iphone and every android device has had ARM processors in their SOC, I don't see this changing any time soon.

http://www.arm.com/products/processors/cortex-a/cortex-a9.php

Austin25
August 20th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Somehow this makes me think of Compiz on a phone...

murderslastcrow
August 21st, 2010, 12:50 AM
Android can play games near PS2 quality. The relevance of these abilities hasn't been taken seriously until recently, as the phones have been able to handle it (the latest range of smartphones since the DROID Eris). So really, it hasn't been explored too far, yet. There are some good titles, but not enough to make it the reason to get the phones.

I think that in a year it will be far more fleshed out, as developers will have had more time to showcase their skills and test the APIs for 3D on Android.

So really, if you're that concerned, just wait a year.

stmiller
August 21st, 2010, 01:08 AM
Hummingbird has better graphics than snapdragon as sort of 'unofficially' reported on the web.

If you google for "hummingbird vs snapdragon" you'll see comparison videos and such people have made.

But yeah I'm not sure if it makes much difference on a phone. eh.

waloshin
August 21st, 2010, 01:19 AM
Hummingbird has better graphics than snapdragon as sort of 'unofficially' reported on the web.

If you google for "hummingbird vs snapdragon" you'll see comparison videos and such people have made.

But yeah I'm not sure if it makes much difference on a phone. eh.

My mobile gaming will be with the Nintendo ds 3d