PDA

View Full Version : good bye ubuntu....for now >:(

phillychease
August 20th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Well now I am in college and the college provides their own computers. I can't use Ubuntu on it. arggg have to use Win7. So goodbye Ubuntu for now!

Til winter break Ubuntu! Can't wait til I go home and go back to my old computer!

):P):P):P):P

Austin25
August 20th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Wait! Try a live USB drive! Try unetbootin! ... sigh... fine...

polraudio
August 20th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Cant you still use yours and just use theirs for what they require windows for?

Spr0k3t
August 20th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Dude, that really sucks. How are they going to do the Linux/Unix classes on Windows?

I feel your pain.

honeybear
August 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Well now I am in college and the college provides their own computers. I can't use Ubuntu on it. arggg have to use Win7. So goodbye Ubuntu for now!

Til winter break Ubuntu! Can't wait til I go home and go back to my old computer!

maybe hack it, get the root pass, and multi-boot it :)

mendhak
August 20th, 2010, 09:25 PM

No personal laptops allowed?

Zorgoth
August 20th, 2010, 09:57 PM
That strikes me as kind of weird for a college to buy all their students' computers and only allow one OS. Certainly doesn't sound like academic freedom to me, and reinstalling Windows on a computer is not that much effort for the college, particularly if it is under warranty (in which case they just need to ship it off for free for a week or two in the summer).

I am currently working for a corporation whose security model has to cover classified data, and I am allowed to run Ubuntu at work. OK, to be fair Ubuntu is fairly obscure outside of the technical world, but what about Apple users?

Dustin2128
August 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I agree, why can't you bring your own computer?

Phrea
August 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I don't get it...
What about a Personal Computer, as in a PC, just for your own use? Dualboot? USB boot?

HeadHunter00
August 20th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Well, I use my live usb with 8 gig overlay and an external harddrive in my high school.;)
And everyone accused me of hacking, so then I used that windows 7 theme. And then I said haha sukas. :lolflag:
Well, thats the easiest and the safest way out.

NightwishFan
August 20th, 2010, 10:43 PM
And everyone accused me of hacking, so then I used that windows 7 theme. And then I said haha sukas. :lolflag:

That is funny... and would probably work.

Dustin2128
August 20th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Well, I use my live usb with 8 gig overlay and an external harddrive in my high school.;)
Well, thats the easiest and the safest way out.
or you could, you know, say you'll hack 'em if they tell anyone about it :lolflag:

murderslastcrow
August 20th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Last semester, so long as I was able to run the programs with Wine, I was allowed to run Kubuntu on any school computer by the staff. They respected my rights to use whatever software best suited me.

This was on Macs, but it was especially beneficial in the classes with Windows computers, as they were slow and would start up in about six minutes (not kidding here, I mean it literally). The two minutes or so to start Kubuntu from a USB drive meant I could get to work sooner than anyone else.

Also, I've been discussing with faculty how they could minimize costs by using LTSP clients and putting Linux on their basic use computers. Why? Well, because the Windows computers they use run OpenOffice and Firefox already, and Ubuntu would be an obvious candidate for that use, as many students have complained about the systems' speed and startup issues.

They said they're looking into it, but it turns out their IT guys aren't very well versed in Linux, so I might have to set up a demo LTSP system to show them its practicality.

But yeah, luckily my school isn't so silly. They're OS agnostic.

Dustin2128
August 20th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Last semester, so long as I was able to run the programs with Wine, I was allowed to run Kubuntu on any school computer by the staff. They respected my rights to use whatever software best suited me.

This was on Macs, but it was especially beneficial in the classes with Windows computers, as they were slow and would start up in about six minutes (not kidding here, I mean it literally). The two minutes or so to start Kubuntu from a USB drive meant I could get to work sooner than anyone else.

Also, I've been discussing with faculty how they could minimize costs by using LTSP clients and putting Linux on their basic use computers. Why? Well, because the Windows computers they use run OpenOffice and Firefox already, and Ubuntu would be an obvious candidate for that use, as many students have complained about the systems' speed and startup issues.

They said they're looking into it, but it turns out their IT guys aren't very well versed in Linux, so I might have to set up a demo LTSP system to show them its practicality.

lucky you :(

phillychease
August 21st, 2010, 02:50 AM
Well they did something to the computer so only this computer and THIS OS can get it. Like I can't even get wifi signal on my phone.
I asked the IT guy if I can use linux and he had a quizzical expression. IT my ***!

Austin25
August 21st, 2010, 02:57 AM

I wish I went there. :(
The teachers at my school think I'm hacking if I do pretty much anything.