PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wubi

jtmedin
August 20th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Windows xp home. Tried to install 10.04 via wubi. After an hour & another hour to go i left the room. When i came back in a couple of hours. Windows xp was showing & no ubuntu :-(. Tried to execute wubi again & it said i have a previous installation & must delete it. Hoping i will not have to spend a couple of hours downloading is there some way to restart the previous installation with out the delete? TIA

bcbc
August 20th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Windows xp home. Tried to install 10.04 via wubi. After an hour & another hour to go i left the room. When i came back in a couple of hours. Windows xp was showing & no ubuntu :-(. Tried to execute wubi again & it said i have a previous installation & must delete it. Hoping i will not have to spend a couple of hours downloading is there some way to restart the previous installation with out the delete? TIA

It's better to download Ubuntu yourself (using bittorrent is fastest).

Then you can burn it to a CD and run wubi off that - it's also useful as a recovery CD later. You can also boot the CD and "try without installing" to make sure Ubuntu runs ok on your machine.

If you can't burn a CD, you can still run wubi off the downloaded .iso - just download wubi.exe and place it in the same folder as the .iso before running. Then everytime you reinstall it doesn't download the image again.