PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install from scratch, package ok, but grub failed.

Crishna
August 20th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hi dears Ubuntu Users.

I am relativly new to Linux, 2 weeks ago, i tried my first linux installation with Fedora distro. using the live 64 usb boot version, everyhing looked fine. BUT i had issues with WINE so by recommendation, i went with Ubuntu and flushed Fedora.

So, technicaly, the install works fine, during the process of installing from the live usb 64 bit 10.4 ubuntu. BUT at the end, when installing GRUB, it just simply failed! thats's a shame for me!

what i can tell you is the following. (thats what i think is my problem, but i need some expert help tho!)

my motherboard is a ASUS, im using 3 HDD 500GB sata2 drive, configured as a RAID in the bios, strip 0. so it presents to the OS one partition of 1.5 TB. Fedora detected it correctly, and was able to install grub on that.

now, during the Ubuntu install, i can chose to pick up a partition that was not used on my 1.5 TB ( i reduced my partition to 1TB and allowed 500GB to linux). Windows 7 reside on the first partition. on this disk, partition 1 is a 100MB windows bootmanager. partition 2 is windows 7 itself 1TB.

during the install of ubunto, i tell him to create a / partition, using 480GB as the third partition, and i created a 4th partition as a swap for linux.

the install process the information, install the DATA on the third partition... BUT grub, can't !!! it failed... it keep looking for a /dev/sda disk... when installing GRUB, i can chose the drop down, for the 1.5TB disk, and when i press OK, he just simply try again to access /dev/sda disk... which is full of course and within a BIOS raid.

so i just bypassed the grub install... and the anaconda completed the install process. at the end, he just warned me to install a boot solution.

so i rebooted the computer... and sudenly, i got into GRUB command prompt... i managed to understand how to boot from there, my windows 7... but still, i can't or don't know how to create a menu.lst... anyways... after some more reading about grub, i was able to get my vmlinuz shown on the prompt, using some command and settings my root,

grub > root (HD0,2)/ <pressing tab, shows me my availlable files, i can see the linux structure.

grub > root (hd0,2)/ <by pressing enter, it tells me my partition mode, etc..

then i do :

grub > kernel (hd0,2)/vmlinuz
grub > boot

but this failed, i know im missing an operand, which is root=/dev/ whatever drive im using.. without doing root=/some dev device it tries to start on /dev/sda but that failed.

someone can tell me, what is the /dev/device file that i mimight be able to use ? or maybe there is manual option i can use at the start of the ubunto install boot process ? or some comannd line within anaconda i could use ?

anyways, yesterday, i did went back into windows 7, and deleted the last 2 partition created for ubuntu, and only kept the first 2 partition for windows, and using windows 7 repair, i removed grub and kept only the bootmgr of windows.

i would appreciate some thoughts on this, and im availlable to test whaetver people are telling me... i can try back and fourth as im pleased!

best regards,

Francois Desfosses, Alias Crishna the bald Vorise

Crishna
August 20th, 2010, 09:59 PM
later, i will post detailed messages, since i will have to redo the procedure from start!