PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's the best tablet pc?

luisito
August 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Here is the deal, I am buying a new laptop using my research grant money. In practice that means that I have an infinite amount to spend so I want to choose the best possible computer. I am thinking of a tablet, because I like the idea of having the pen and the touch screen. But it is not so obvious what computer to buy. I would like to install Ubuntu on it. I know that the multitouch screen won't be too functional for a while, but I can live with that.

What do you think is the best tablet pc regardless of price?

I was looking around and I found two alternatives that look good.

The Thinkpad X201 tablet is even sold with Ubuntu preinstalled on some websites. It can be customized to be very powerful, but its plastic case looks quite ugly and low quality to me.

The Toughbook C1 has an interesting design. It does not look nearly as horrible as the other Panasonic. But it is not so customizable and I found relatively little information about it online.

What do you think would be my best choice for using it with Ubuntu?

Favux
August 20th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Hi luisito,

I think the X201t is considered the top tablet pc currently. Even though the digitizer connection is serial rather than usb.

Multi-touch gestures (two finger) are working now in Lucid with an updated xf86-input-wacom.

Of course there are others to chose from like the Fujitsu Lifebook or the HP TM2t.

luisito
August 24th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Ok I ordered the Thinkpad X201 tablet. The current lack of information about the thoughbook made the difference.