PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: SCO Claims Are Totally FALSE

htinn
April 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060405002552215

There's just no denying it anymore. SCO has nothing. They never had anything, never will have anything. End of story.

NeghVar
April 5th, 2006, 09:41 PM
They aren't totally false, they are just to vague to be of any use, and with such vague accusations you cant possible defend.

It would be like convicting a person of murdering some random person but you never tell the defence who it was, where how or any other details, then you ask the judge to ignore that until after the trial

taurus
April 5th, 2006, 09:53 PM
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060405002552215

There's just no denying it anymore. SCO has nothing. They never had anything, never will have anything. End of story.
Is that a surprise statement to everyone??? Everybody knows that when SCO first claimed about copyright stuff, they already had nothing and still have nothing so it's ended of story. I just hope IBM counter-sues SCO and send it to it final resting place... :-#

KiwiNZ
April 5th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Its not Official.

The Groklaw article is a description of the IBM counter position. It will be official when the court makes a ruling.

htinn
April 5th, 2006, 10:20 PM
It hasn't been completely decided on by the judge, but there really can't be any doubt how this will turn out.

SCO made a big parade out of how much they supposedly wanted to show the world all the so-called "evidence" they had 3 years ago, but that they had to wait until disclosure to reveal.

Now that their utter lack of evidence has been shown to the world by IBM's memo, there is no longer any good reason to believe that SCO has ever had a case or ever will.

I will be very surprised if their claims aren't dismissed with prejudice.

mishranurag
April 5th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Sorry, but what is SCO ?

ComplexNumber
April 5th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Sorry, but what is SCO ?
you can find out about them here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO_Group).

Virogenesis
April 5th, 2006, 10:35 PM
sco use to be a linux distro can't remember the name began with c i believe but they renamed themselves anyway they brought the rights to dev unix off of novell anyway these mean nothing and ending up branding their own os SCO Unix.

augied
April 5th, 2006, 10:40 PM
It would be like convicting a person of murdering some random person but you never tell the defence who it was, where how or any other details, then you ask the judge to ignore that until after the trial

Who here has read the "The Trial" by Franz Kafka (or seen one of the movies)?

KingBahamut
April 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Viro, SCO, aka Caldera International , was a company started by Ranson Love back in 94. The Unix dispute that they think they possess is that Ransom turned around in 2000 and bought all righs to to openware and unixware, the purported Original release of unix into the enterprise, Unixware was at the time the remainder over the old Santa Cruz Operation (one of the original Unix pushers way back before even I was born). When Ransom stepped down as CEO (because of failing to impress themselves in the market) , Darl McBride took the helm , and because of information that he was reported to have gathered from inside sources, decided to hit the Linux community (specifically IBM because of what was termed as leaked unixware code).

This lawsuit against IBM by the SCO Group has never really amounted to anything to me personally , as I dont see what ground SCO has to stand on. They dont really. Even funnier than that , in the whole foray of it, I remember Darl McBride having his lawyers issue a standard discovery request to OSDL and Morton to release findings of what they called at the time the 2.7 kernel. This almost had me in utter laughter and as a result I dismissed any claim that McBride or SCO Group could make.

NeghVar
April 5th, 2006, 10:59 PM
SCO has had a host of bad requests, at one point they were actually demanding that witnesses from other companies appear with less than 24 hours notice and giving them no knowledge of what they wanted them for. The whole case is pretty sad, also remember that SCOs own internal investigation revieled that no code was taken from SCO and placed in Linux anywhere.

Most likely they filled the suit to get an easy win and hope for a quick settle, IBM called their bluff and so they have been delaying the actual revealing of cards. Keep in mind that SCO has never been an extremely successful company as far as I know, correct me if im wrong of course. Recently though the legal fees are killing them.

taurus
April 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Since they can't sell their software or services, they have decided to make money from suing companies and people. And since they thought they could get some quick bucks from IBM, they filed claim against IBM for no apparent reason. I am glad IBM decided to take the whole thing to court to show the true color of SCO and what a bunch of idiots running the show at SCO!!! ](*,) You just have to feel sorry for those programmers who are still there though...

KingBahamut
April 6th, 2006, 02:19 PM
I seem to remember hearing , and its not substantiated by any real valid source, being told that when McBride took a hold of the SCO Group/Caldera he's said something to Ransom Love about his plan to go after IBM and the Linux community only to be told by Ransom something to the affect of "You dont know who you are going to **** off, do you?"

htinn
April 6th, 2006, 02:31 PM
I've never understood why anyone believed their claims in the first place. Then again, I've actually developed code, and I can tell you from experience that it's a LOT easier to write your own code than to "rip-off" someone elses code into your own. People who've never developed before don't understand how insanely difficult it is to try.

ComplexNumber
April 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Recently though the legal fees are killing them.
them and microsoft. don't forget that microsoft partly funded the SCO to make the claim against IBM et al.

taurus
April 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I seem to remember hearing , and its not substantiated by any real valid source, being told that when McBride took a hold of the SCO Group/Caldera he's said something to Ransom Love about his plan to go after IBM and the Linux community only to be told by Ransom something to the affect of "You dont know who you are going to **** off, do you?"
Actually, I've heard something to that affect too but not sure whether it was to Ransom Love or somebody else...

NeghVar
April 6th, 2006, 03:48 PM
At the end, we had found absolutely *nothing*. ie no evidence of any copyright infringement whatsoever.

Yeah I remember that whole we have no case what do you think your doing continuing... I looked around for a bit and found this article:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050714144923365

Personnally I hope that IBM can prove that SCO knew they had no case and that this is purely malicious prosecution resulting from a contract dispute that had nothing to do with Linux, and go after them for the cost of litigation over the past years.

Derek Djons
April 6th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Well, I hope there´s an ending coming up... totally bashin SCO to the state of bankrupt and out of business.

KingBahamut
April 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Hmmmm, I doubt serious that SCO group will go bankrupt, but I think their concepts about being in the business to sue other businesses is a job best left for lawyers.

Nother funny bit to add to the foray , is Darl's insistence that he have bodyguards and carry a gun.

Darl McBride, chief executive of SCO Group Inc., says he sometimes carries a gun because his enemies are out to kill him. He checks into hotels under assumed names. An armed body guard protected him at Harvard Law School when he gave a speech last month.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,595047068,00.html

NeghVar
April 6th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I would have to say that they are probably pretty high up there on the unliked list lol, I don't know if I dislike them as much as MS, but they are up there.

McBride has done battle before. He compares his fight with Linux supporters to the time when his family caught thieves stealing cattle from their ranch in Utah.

Im sorry but I just have to post this lol... So all you Linux developers, please don't steal his cows ok... we dont need more problems here...

Edit: removed the word 'hate', sorry if I offended anyone, figure i should remove it once i seen the point about it.

KingBahamut
April 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Should try to keep the word hate out.

taurus
April 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Im sorry but I just have to post this lol... So all you Linux developers, please don't steal his cows ok... we dont need more problems here...
MOOOOOOOOOO...

KingBahamut
April 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM
\ (oo)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||

zubrug
April 6th, 2006, 06:45 PM
mmmmmm.......burger's