PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will ubuntu run on old laptop?

tadaskr
August 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Hello there,
I will install ubuntu in one my friend laptop, but it is very old. I don't know exactly it's specifications, but I know that it is one core CPU 256MB ram and GPU is old too. Will ubuntu run normaly on computer like that? or I should get older version? I will try install 10.04

ronnielsen1
August 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM
You would have to know the processor to know for sure. I'd try a lightweight distro like Puppy or Slax

tadaskr
August 20th, 2010, 04:41 PM
How about 512mb? it will run good?

snowpine
August 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Ubuntu's system requirements are well-documented here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Personally I have not found Ubuntu to be the best choice for older hardware; that being said, many users have reported successful installs with 512mb of ram.

A lot depends on your friend's level of experience with Linux...

ronnielsen1
August 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
It will run depending on the processor but slow

I have a P4 laptop that I upgraded to 1 G of memory and it's fast with Ubuntu 10.10.

tadaskr
August 20th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Ok, i I know exactly componets of that laptop:
Processor AMD Athol 3300+
RAM 384MB
HDD 40GB
How about that? will ubuntu go fatster than 3 or 4 years old windows XP

kaldor
August 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Ok, i I know exactly componets of that laptop:
Processor AMD Athol 3300+
RAM 384MB
HDD 40GB
How about that? will ubuntu go fatster than 3 or 4 years old windows XP

Comparing a brand new, modern OS to a 10 year old Windows OS.

It just scrapes Ubuntu. You could put Ubuntu on it, but it wouldn't be as good as another distro.

I recommend a lighter distro such as..

-Lubuntu

-Puppy

-If you're a nerd and don't mind outdated stuff, Damn Small Linux (DSL)

-Wolvix is my favourite lightweight OS... but for some reason their site's been down a bit.

-Peppermint is new and Ubuntu-based; take a peek at that.

For more lightweight/old PC distros, go to www.distrowatch.com and make a search.

tadaskr
August 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I looked now to Lubuntu, but it's similar like ubuntu? I know a lot ubuntu, so i want to know about that light OS

kaldor
August 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I looked now to Lubuntu, but it's similar like ubuntu? I know a lot ubuntu, so i want to know about that light OS

It's Ubuntu-based, and a soon-to-be Official derivative of Ubuntu.

Instead of using the GNOME desktop like Ubuntu, it uses a combination of openbox and LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) and applications that are lightweight, such as Abiword, Chromium (debranded Google Chrome browser) and other smaller programs.

It should run better than Ubuntu, but there are smaller systems as well.

Edit:

-The website is http://lubuntu.net/
-According to documentation, Lubuntu only needs 128 MB of RAM to run.

tadaskr
August 20th, 2010, 05:27 PM
How about programs? It's similar like ubuntu, isn't it? :)

darkstarbyte
August 20th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Ubuntu like most unix based operating systems will run anything, but if you are looking to

go fast on an old laptop i suggest a spin off of ubuntu called lubuntu it is very fast and light

weight, but if you want to go faster in ubuntu i would recommend fluxbuntu but it is a pain

in the a** to use some times. By the way I did the stars after the a not the system.

kaldor
August 20th, 2010, 05:36 PM
It's based on Ubuntu, so it uses the same repositories. With enough time, you can turn it into Ubuntu ;)

It's fully compatible with anything labled for Ubuntu.

snowpine
August 20th, 2010, 05:39 PM
If you are looking for a truly "lightweight" distro, you can do a lot better than Lubuntu in my opinion. Puppy, SliTaz, TinyCore if you want really small. The next step up from that would be a lightweight Debian derivative like AntiX or CrunchBang, still a bit lighter than anything in the 'buntu family. :)

tadaskr
August 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
ok, thank you for advices :) I will try Lubuntu first :) if it will run too slow, then I will try others :)

luisito
August 20th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I have XUbuntu in my old laptop that my mom uses and it works very well. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 4000 from the year 2001. It has a Celeron 800Mhz and 384Mb of Ram. It is slightly worse than your computer.

Last time I tried installing Ubuntu there, the amount of ram didn't seem to be good enough for using Gnome well.

XUbuntu is a version of Ubuntu that uses xfce instead of gnome. Because of that, it is light weight and better suited for older hardware. I have never tried LUbuntu, but it is supposed to be even lighter.

From either XUbuntu or LUbuntu, you can install the same applications as with any other Ubuntu flavor (they use the same repositories). But you should be careful because if you install heavy applications, your computer may be too slow to run them.

Some recommendation: use chromium as a web browser instead of firefox.

ronnielsen1
August 21st, 2010, 09:45 AM
If you add memory, you can use Ubuntu