PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A lot of trouble with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

kuramayoko10
August 20th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hello guys,

This is my first post here in the forums, which is cool, but sadly it is to complain and ask for help.
It seems that the updgrade that I made in my ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 turned to be a downgrade... I am having some glitches here!

First, started off that I couldn't turn off or reset my computer using the power buttons, it simply logs out.
I found a similar problem in a thread and I got this solution:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

change : GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to : GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi=force"

sudo update-grub Then I forced it to shut off with the command: sudo poweroff

When I turned it on again my icons like Trash bin, Netowrk meter, Keyboard layout have disappeared from my panels...
And it doesn't shut off anymore (it did for a couple times only).

Please help me to fix those errors.. and just to note the upgrade was successful in every step, from the download to the setup!

Thanks,

JohnElway
August 21st, 2010, 01:21 AM
Are you having any problems other than not being able to shutdown from the UI? There's a well-known combo of problems that affect new 10.04 installations: can't shutdown or restart, no sound, can't mount USB drives. I encountered these problems but easily fixed them all by installing the policykit package with this command:

sudo apt-get install policykit policykit-gnome policykit-desktop-privileges

Then I rebooted the computer:

sudo reboot

kuramayoko10
August 21st, 2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the reply,

I got it fixed now... now I could include to the panel the "advisors" and some applets already!
I will just have to find the messenger application and dropbox and it will be as it was before!

And for now the problem with the "power off/reboot" and mounting devices is fixed.

The only thing that I would like to know is... what is this tpackage that I installed...? it reseted my grub list to only one linux version!
I wanted to that too actually!

Thanks