PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit) wireless issues (broadcom STA driver)

bbb125
August 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM
hi all,

I'm having a problem with getting my wireless connection to work on my Dell Studio 1537 laptop with Ubuntu 10.04 (64-bit). I have installed the Broadcom STA driver under System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. My wireless network is detected, and I can connect to it. However, even though it says I'm connected, I can't go to any websites or access anything. I don't think it is a DNS problem, because I can't even ping an IP address (such as yahoo) or even the router itself. It will say "Network is unreachable".

Note: I do not have this problem when I boot from the LiveCD for the 32-bit version.

A couple things I noticed:
TX packets:18 errors:21 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
Not sure what this means exactly, but I'm guessings errors aren't a good thing.

And also, iwconfig says:
Encryption key:off

I have set the encryption key using the Wireless Security tab when I set up the network. Anyone have any ideas? Could this be a problem specific to the 64-bit driver? Again, I don't have this problem when I boot from the 32-bit LiveCD.

Thanks!

bkratz
August 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM
This is actually probably the problem (or at least one!)

Mode:Ad-Hoc Frequency:2.412 GHz Cell: 8A:2E:34:40:20:21

I have to google a little to find how to fix, but it should be easy--back soon.

bkratz
August 20th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Ad-hoc is used between computers, try

sudo iwconfig eth1 mode Managed

then redo your tests. By the way the sudo will require your password which will not be echoed (not even ***) just hit enter when done.

bbb125
August 20th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Ad-hoc is used between computers, try

sudo iwconfig eth1 mode Managed

then redo your tests. By the way the sudo will require your password which will not be echoed (not even ***) just hit enter when done.

Looks like that was the problem. It's working now. Thanks a ton!

bkratz
August 20th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Looks like that was the problem. It's working now. Thanks a ton!

Glad I could help and thanks for marking it solved!