PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] blank screen after installation

Lakeside5
August 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I just installed Lucid Lynx 10.04 and the installation seemed to go ok. i installed it from my flash drive, and then took the usb stick out and made sure that it would boot from the hard drive. But when I rebooted the computer I only have a total black screen, with one little white dot.

mörgæs
August 20th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Can you boot a live Ubuntu from the USB stick?

Rubi1200
August 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM
What graphics card do you have installed?

Lakeside5
August 20th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Well here is a weird thing, I changed the boot priority back to flash (had it booting from flash drive to install, then back to hard drive so it would boot from the hard drive installation (which it wouldn't do, just blank screen) then back to flash drive just now, and it did show the new installation and ask for a user name and password, which I gave it an it recognized. So now I am at the command prompt. Two problemns/questions Did I even install the distro to the hard drive? why will it only boot from the flash, I don't want to have to boot from flash all the time, but if that's the only way...Also, last time I used a server I had a gui, so I knew how to add my website and work with it etc. I do not know what to do with a command line at all, so I have to add w e bmin or something? I just want to use this to host a website. Thanks for any help.

Lakeside5
August 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I forget what the graphics card is, I guess now that I have a command line I can find out? edit* It looks like a VGA compatible controller, from VIA Technologies.

mörgæs
August 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
Have you tried installing from a CD rather than from a USB drive? Best is not having anything in the USB ports (apart from maybe mouse and keyboard) when you install. Having wired internet access while installing is recommended.

When this works, we go to the question of hosting the web site.