PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Im new in Ubuntu

Roderick96
August 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hi,I want to install ubuntu 10.04 on my windows xp sp3 desktop;

If i install ubuntu i can still use windows xp if i need it??
Will my datacom wireless usb adapter will work on it?(software dont support linux)
Will my hp printer work?(with wine,playonlinux or notepads)?
My keyboard and mouse are wireless and are from microsoft...Will they work???

All this software is already installed on my windows xp,will i need to install it again on ubuntu?Or will it work fine,all this software are not supported for linux,so if there is any way to make it work,please tell me :)

Thanks,

I really want ubuntu :D

Rumpletumbler
August 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hi,I want to install ubuntu 10.04 on my windows xp sp3 desktop;

If i install ubuntu i can still use windows xp if i need it??

Create a dual boot and you can.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Will my datacom wireless usb adapter will work on it?(software dont support linux)
Will my hp printer work?(with wine,playonlinux or notepads)?
My keyboard and mouse are wireless and are from microsoft...Will they work???

Boot from LiveCD and test all these.

Hope this helps. I'm new so others may have better advice.

Vaphell
August 20th, 2010, 01:15 PM
in general all apps installed in windows are totally useless in linux. I can run few apps/games from their windows install directory but it's because they don't require tons of registry keys to work and i have a compatibility layer installed (called wine).

If you've decided to use linux, find native linux apps that do the thing you want. Using stuff via wine is not a hassle-free experience and should be used as a last option. If you got plenty of ram you can install fullblown windows in a virtual machine (virtualbox being one of them), which produces better results at a cost of performance penalty. Fancy stuff like 3d is a hit or miss.