PDA

View Full Version : We need more of this.

YourSurrogateGod
April 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Trax88 writes "Open Source Development Labs is previewing work that will attempt to make life easier for software companies by bridging GNOME and KDE. The effort, called Portland Project, began showing its first software tools on in conjunction with this week's LinuxWorld Conference & Expo. Using them, a software company can write a single software package that works using either of the prevailing graphical interfaces. Working with Freedesktop.org on unifying interface issues, they plan to release a beta version of the software in May and version 1.0 in June. Ultimately, advocates hope that it will be part of a larger but separate effort called Linux Standard Base, which is designed to make the operating system easier for software companies to use."

http://slashdot.org/articles/06/04/05/1543233.shtml

This is very good. The more Linux becomes unified, the less there will be confusion about different distros and the like.

ThirdWorld
April 25th, 2006, 12:01 AM
http://slashdot.org/articles/06/04/05/1543233.shtml

This is very good. The more Linux becomes unified, the less there will be confusion about different distros and the like.

I think this is the turn of the tides for the Linux OS. We should expect to see a very polished unified linux and a real linux desktop market penetration by the end of 2007-2008 and beyond.
hardware manufacturers like Dell, E-machines and HP-Compaq will start to offer a linux preinstall alternative to windows vista, since they dont have to put an expensive video card, and 1gb of ram to make linux work.

We will see lots of printer and driver support by the end of 2007 (linux base standard certified hardware and software). I will predict that windows will loose 40% to 50% of its home and corporate desktop market share by 2010 - 2015.
I will predict also that by late 2007 - 2008 Adobe will port photoshop to linux since many printing companies will abandon the expensive Mac hardware and OSX and switch to 64bits dual core machines running linux.

Still, windows will be the bigest software developer in the world for years to come with 50% to 60% of market share, Linux will be a real alternative for the end users who seeks an OS that just works without user configuration, like OSX does today.

the future of apple however is not clear for me.